Trump Watch

I don’t know where the holy shit thread went but it seems like many of the substantial issues/actions that continue to pop up in this campaign get lost in the firehose of more and less consequential bullshit blasting from his mouth or mobile. In the last few days the Arlington incident blew up, as it should. It’s a big deal. No less so is what happened at his latest rally, where one of his supporters appears to go after the press, shortly after Trump called them “enemy of the people,” and is tasered and taken out by security.

Trump’s response in real time: “It’s ok. Beautiful. He’s on our side.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/story/trump-rally-man-attacks-journalists

https://x.com/mikesington/status/1829858604746490004?s=61&t=nsVXZiCUm1aguM6ABLo7hA

This is so far beyond believable, that a former president would now openly encourage violence against the press and applaud it in real time, explicitly, and yet half of the country still remains silent or complicit. People scoff at the Nazi Germany comparisons but we are also watching in real time exactly how those conditions arise. Republicans need to stand up now and say no more. You can choose Trump, or you can choose democracy in your country. It really is that simple now.

This needs to be a national story for days on end.

2 Likes

Desperately trying to save his campaign, in the past few days he’s said he wants free IVF treatments and now is saying legalization of MJ needs to happen.

Sounds kinda RINOish…

This is astonishing, and disgusting. Overt Russian propaganda straight from our former President, complete with AI fake Kamala Harris drafting Americans to fight in the Ukraine invasion war.

This cannot be the way our elections will be waged going forward.

https://x.com/trumpdailyposts/status/1829701513301934140?s=61&t=nsVXZiCUm1aguM6ABLo7hA

Give the old man a break. He has nothing on Kamala so he needs to make shit up.

You’re right that Trump is horrible, and each new offense should be noted.

I’ve seen concerning stories about voter registration issues that cause me as much concern as Trump’s bullshit. For instance, the TX AG raiding homes of civil rights activists.

ETA: LULAC asks DOJ to investigate Texas AG Ken Paxton's raid on Latino homes

1 Like

I’m very disappointed; I thought there was some new merch to buy based on the thread title.

“I have the finest and largest movements you’ve ever seen.”

2 Likes

He is simply planning for after he loses. He wants radical backup.

Not to distract from your intended message, as it is disgusting still. I thought a side bar down memory lane of this venue in order. I am sure the thread can recover well.

But get this:

Cambria County War Memorial in Johnstown Pa. seats 4001. 2000 more down on the ice filled the arena for the Trump rally. The movie Slapshot with Paul Newman was filmed there. Recently the NHL and Kraft Foods awarded it a winner of a Hockeyville contest and the monies were used to upgrade the facility.

But this is where my jaw drops (thanks wiki): Performances at the Cambria County War Memorial Arena over the years have included : AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alabama, Alice Cooper, Beach Boys ,Blue Öyster Cult, Bo Diddley, Bob Hope, Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, Bryan Adams, Brad Paisley ,Brooks & Dunn, Bruce Springsteen, Chicago, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Dave Clark Five, Def Leppard , Dolly Parton, Duke Ellington, Foreigner ,George Jones, George Strait, Heart, Iron Maiden, Jeff Dunham, Johnny Cash, Johnny Mathis, Judas Priest, Kansas, Kelly Clarkson, Kenny Rogers, Kid Rock, Kiss, Larry the Cable Guy, LeAnn Rhimes, Lonestar, Loverboy, Loretta Lynn, Louis Armstrong, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Matchbox Martina McBride,Merle Haggard, Metallica, Miranda Lambert, Nat King Cole, Night Ranger, Ozzy Osbourne, Phyllis Diller, Quiet Riot, RATT, Reba McEntire, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Styx, The Carpenters, The Hooters, The Supremes, TobyMac, Tom Jones, Trace Adkins, Randy Travis, Willie Nelson, The Yardbirds, ZZ Top. And I ask why did the Beatles did Shea and not the War Memorial.

More apropos of trump’s performance: the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, Harlem Globetrotters, WWE SmackDown Wrestling have also made an appearance.

Trump has been preceded there by JFK, Nixon and G.W. Bush. Johnstown was once a thriving steel town and once very solidly pro union, blue collar (less the summer mountain estates outside of town of the robber barons) and democrat leaning. Not so now.

This is why my friend who is American voted against Trump. He thinks the democrats policies are bad. But he thinks Trump is a direct threat to the institutions that underpin the country.

1 Like

That was my first thought. Is this better than a Rolex!

I woke up thinking about the covid waivers that allowed hospitals to try to meet demand when they were overwhelmed with Covid patients. The Covid waivers lowered the standard of care in our crisis. There were charting waivers that allowed healthcare providers to skimp on recording data in the charts in order to spend more take delivering actual care to patients. There were staffing waivers that allowed the hospitals to admit the patients at their doors although the hospital had insufficient numbers of nurses. There were space waivers to allow hospitals to convert space into patient areas. We even had air quality waivers for cremating the dead people.

I have also thought about wimsey’s point that malpractice may have occurred even with the lower standard of care. That is true. The chaos and waivers just makes it more difficult to know. That is bad for everyone. It’s bad for the healthcare providers who were honestly doing their best, but are getting sued. It’s bad for the plaintiffs who want to know whether someone mistreated their loved one. The only people who benefit from the stress of Covid are bad actors who took advantage of the chaos.

Uncertainty and stress about the rule of law is detrimental (whether it’s the Covid waivers or abortion laws or Supreme Court ethics).

Some uncertainty is inescapable because life throws curveballs, new facts emerge, and we have to adapt to change. We make or discover new rules to deal with the new situations.

Trump is chaotic. He creates uncertainty, which gives opportunities to bad actors. That’s my big analysis waking up today.

I like how the military guy in that russian propaganda video can’t even remotely salute properly !

I saw the title and figured that trump now had a Chinese made watch to go with his sneakers and hats.

1 Like

Elon Musk apparently plans to use some of his enormous wealth — he’s the richest person in the world — to support Trump and other global authoritarians. (Robert Reich | Substack)

Trump and Musk have both floated the idea of governing together if Trump wins a second term.

Yesterday, Elon Musk reposted to his nearly 200 million followers a statement suggesting that women and men who can’t physically defend themselves are inferior to “alpha men” and are not good participants in government because they lack the ability to think critically. “This is why a Republic of high status males is best for decision making,” the original post said. “Democratic, but a democracy only for those who are free to think.”

Over the statement, Musk posted: “Interesting observation.” (Heather Cox Richardson | Substack)

Musk is spreading Trump & MAGA’s vision to exclude people from choosing their destiny.

We have a stark contrast between the inclusivity of the Dems (want to expand access to voting) and the exclusivity of MAGA (want to reduce access to voting).

I’m pretty certain that regular MAGA people feel special and swayed by the MAGA suggestion of exclusivity, even though they are low-status or low-intelligence dupes who will not ever be in Trump/Musk’s in-crowd.

I know someone who is a high-income MAGA-adjacent guy. In one fateful moment, he argued to me that a president is an authoritarian within a democracy—he was attempting to justify something related to J6 during a heated argument on the evening of J6. Looking back, I cannot believe he was attempting to justify J6, because that’s insane. (Although people did!) I don’t recall exactly what he said. His statement about authoritarianism stands out in my mind because he was a political science major. I remember thinking, “how can he be so dumb?” But then I remembered that he told me he skipped classes (and was a general douchebag) during college. That explains it. lol

When I heard this MAGA-adjacent guy say the thing about an authoritarian president in a democracy, I knew he was/is an idiot. It’s so harsh to say. But it’s true. He gets along in this world just fine because he has a lot of good skills, but he lacks important cognitive abilities. Which is another way to say he lacks critical thinking!

i knew this MAGA-adjacent guy for over 20 years, and I put in my time trying to reason with him. I endured his efforts to convince me that I’m wrong. He still tries. His arguments are not compelling because, like MAGA, he has no creativity and his arguments have been disproved too many times before. Everyday we see new evidence about how shitty Trump is. That’s something we can bank on. It’s a good bet. I am a risk averse person, and it’s not risky to say that Trump is terrible for our democracy.

Spiro Agnew had a watch, if you are old enough to remember it.

If shit goes down a flaccid drug addict like Elmo is not who I would look to for help

1 Like

A Trump watch would be tough to read… hands are too small.

3 Likes

LOL…

Well if anyone is keeping count. I also expected this to be his latest merchandising deal.

1 Like

haven’t listened to this yet, but sweet jeebus the makeup . . .

I disagree. He looks better than he speaks. I am still listening 30 minutes in.