Taylor Knibb olympic races

A completely disastrous olympics so far in every aspect. No way around it. There will be some lessons learned in her camp I’m sure.

Ideally she should not have raced the TT once it became clear the conditions were so technical.

Yes it has been. Perhaps she will have some redemption in the relay.

I couldn’t help but to think that besides not being comfortable swimming in the Seine while healthy, having open wounds in that river can’t be good.

Even relatively minor bike crashes can take a lot our of you. That kind of mental and physical fatigue really shows up in swimming.

If it’s going to rain for the TT, that’s a HUGE gamble for her, can USA Triathlon (guessing she gets funding from then) stop her from racing?

Complete madness her doing that ITT a few days before the biggest race of her career!

She’s probably got another Olympics in her, but doubt she’s going to hang around in ITU after this.

I don’t know about that…I’d imagine that participating in an Olympics on one’s home soil would be a huge draw…

I don’t know about that…I’d imagine that participating in an Olympics on one’s home soil would be a huge draw…

If she can concentrate on ITU fine, she’s been getting away with it due to age, but as we’ve just seen with Blu, jumping up and down distance eventually will take its toll.

A completely disastrous olympics so far in every aspect. No way around it. There will be some lessons learned in her camp I’m sure.

Ideally she should not have raced the TT once it became clear the conditions were so technical.
I’m sure we’ll get the answer to this, but I’d bet a whole lot of money she’d do exactly the same thing again if given the choice.

I’m sure we’ll get the answer to this, but I’d bet a whole lot of money she’d do exactly the same thing again if given the choice.

And probably regrets opting out of the RR. With 19th in the TT and 19th in the triathlon, odds are good that ironically her best individual result would have been the RR. Weather will probably be gorgeous and the parcours is challenging, both elements that worked against her in both the TT and triathlon. Of course, there’s still medal potential on the table with the MTR, but she’s already got one of those.

Unless she developed a major injury from the crashes, I think disastrous is a bit strong. It definitely hasn’t been a good Olympics for her. But it’s not like she dnf’d, came in last place, or had to walk the run.

And probably regrets opting out of the RR. With 19th in the TT and 19th in the triathlon, odds are good that ironically her best individual result would have been the RR. Weather will probably be gorgeous and the parcours is challenging, both elements that worked against her in both the TT and triathlon. Of course, there’s still medal potential on the table with the MTR, but she’s already got one of those.

I don’t know if she would regret it. Why risk another crash and injure yourself more and potentially put the rest of your season in jeopardy? There’s still some decent pay days to be had with t100 races and 70.3 worlds for her.

I don’t know if she would regret it. Why risk another crash and injure yourself more and potentially put the rest of your season in jeopardy? There’s still some decent pay days to be had with t100 races and 70.3 worlds for her.

Liked Taylor’s comment: “Regardless of what happened today, hopefully I’ll continue the sport . But who knows, I might not be allowed back.”

No way she does better than 19th in the rr. That’s like when Keegan Swenson went to worlds and ended up in the 70s. These are amazing athletes but there’s a level of technical efficiency necessary for a road race that can’t be faked.

Good luck Blu.

And probably regrets opting out of the RR. With 19th in the TT and 19th in the triathlon, odds are good that ironically her best individual result would have been the RR.//

Man you should be her coach with such insight, how did you know she would have a couple of 19ths? No she should not have done the RR, and for several reasons, the glaring one we witnessed in the TT. Her best chance is and always been the MTR, which with the current the way it is, can play into some strengths on the team… You can throw out any individual results now, it is a fresh race with a new perspective.

I would like to hear what happened in the swim, bad placement, some contact, or just feeling off? Because that relay could turn into a real time trial with the water the way it is, which should be good for everyone on our team…

And probably regrets opting out of the RR. With 19th in the TT and 19th in the triathlon, odds are good that ironically her best individual result would have been the RR.//

Man you should be her coach with such insight, how did you know she would have a couple of 19ths? No she should not have done the RR, and for several reasons, the glaring one we witnessed in the TT. Her best chance is and always been the MTR, which with the current the way it is, can play into some strengths on the team… You can throw out any individual results now, it is a fresh race with a new perspective.

I would like to hear what happened in the swim, bad placement, some contact, or just feeling off? Because that relay could turn into a real time trial with the water the way it is, which should be good for everyone on our team…

All I can say is that I was very disappointed by Knibb’s performances. I am certain that she did the very best she could but man, what a bummer. I really thought she would just stand up and ride away from everyone and come into T2 with a 2-3 min lead. I guess everything just got messed up by the rain. Had it been dry for the TT and for the tri, I think results would have been quite diff. I know, I know, I know you have be prepared to ride and SBR in any conditions but still. Oh well…

All I can say is that I was very disappointed by Knibb’s performances. I am certain that she did the very best she could but man, what a bummer. I really thought she would just stand up and ride away from everyone and come into T2 with a 2-3 min lead. I guess everything just got messed up by the rain. Had it been dry for the TT and for the tri, I think results would have been quite diff. I know, I know, I know you have be prepared to ride and SBR in any conditions but still. Oh well…

This is draft legal triathlon. Nobody just rides away from the pack like that (I know Knibb did that once or twice a few years ago, although at least one was with the help of Kingma).

This is draft legal triathlon. Nobody just rides away from the pack like that (I know Knibb did that once or twice a few years ago, although at least one was with the help of Kingma).

Yeah, yeah, yeah, draft legal schmiegel. OK, maybe Taylor, Kingma, and Duffy take off together and gap the field. More or less same thing except now she has 2 companions on the run.

All I can say is that I was very disappointed by Knibb’s performances. I am certain that she did the very best she could but man, what a bummer. I really thought she would just stand up and ride away from everyone and come into T2 with a 2-3 min lead.

I think a few of you are being quite unrealistic. She ran ~1min slower than Cassandre at Cagliari but there was only a 15s spread on the podium in Paris.
The olympics is such a massive step up in field performance that riding away by a useful amount is just not going to happen. Even if it were possible, both power and extreme technical proficiency are required.

I’ve had a lady in the WTCS with a bit over 300w FTP and that doesn’t do anything against a motivated pack.

Also, you’re being a bit ambitious given her age

Average ages of the womens podium over the year:
2000 31.2
2004 32.9
2008 24.7
2012 28.5
2016 30.5
2020 31.1
2024 29.2

Next time Taylor will be 30.5, right at the typical peak age, racing on home soil.
She was just slightly young this time. And you can see that in the rough edges to her performances that could be polished off over the next couple of years.
The trick for your federation is to make sure she understands this and doesn’t go long out of frustration

womens podiums.jpg

I’m assuming Taylor was in that delayed start group for one. And second there’s a huge incentive to not let her get away on the swim so she can pull you up on the bike. Or just that some racers are jerks. And they beat the hell out of her in the water.

Also possible she’s got sore ribs and chest area and the breathing and stroking in swimming suffered.

It’s crazy because my feeling is starting to be if Olympic triathlon is draft legal it should be a team sport with 3 to a team and award the team medals.

This whole idea of racers getting beat up in the swim gets a little harder if you have a team. The drafting tactics improve on the bike and the running becomes interesting too.

Other thought… How do the games change if it’s 12m non drafting?

All that said, I’ve long felt the dividing between Olympics and long course careers really favors long course for the self interested athlete.

The athletes are at the whim and strategizing of political federations. Then they mixed up in nation politics. Then they bet so much of their career on this once every 4 years where so much is out of their control.

I can’t help but look at Blu and Gustav and Taylor and think… What if they just focused on long course for last years?

Great experiences. Great training. Now go race the series that reward you for racing to your capacity without the politics of federations and gamesmanship of draft packs.

All I can say is that I was very disappointed by Knibb’s performances. I am certain that she did the very best she could but man, what a bummer. I really thought she would just stand up and ride away from everyone and come into T2 with a 2-3 min lead.

I think a few of you are being quite unrealistic. She ran ~1min slower than Cassandre at Cagliari but there was only a 15s spread on the podium in Paris.
The olympics is such a massive step up in field performance that riding away by a useful amount is just not going to happen. Even if it were possible, both power and extreme technical proficiency are required.

I’ve had a lady in the WTCS with a bit over 300w FTP and that doesn’t do anything against a motivated pack.

Also, you’re being a bit ambitious given her age

Average ages of the womens podium over the year:
2000 31.2
2004 32.9
2008 24.7
2012 28.5
2016 30.5
2020 31.1
2024 29.2

Next time Taylor will be 30.5, right at the typical peak age, racing on home soil.
She was just slightly young this time. And you can see that in the rough edges to her performances that could be polished off over the next couple of years.
The trick for your federation is to make sure she understands this and doesn’t go long out of frustration

Extremely good thoughts.

Something tells me that we won’t see her in LA. I expect her to transition fully to non draft and LC racing.