Taylor Knibb olympic races

It’s not like she hasn’t already raced T100. She’s seen flat (Milwaukee) and interesting (San Francisco).

I wish we could have seen her in Kitzbuhel…

My read on “The first thing I said after the individual race is how do we change the course in L.A." is that the Paris course was awesome in terms of scenery (true by popular consensus) and a parking lot in an LA suburb would be quite the opposite.

Knibb appears to be a person who values experiences and understandably she may not want to spend 4 years, or even the 2 years of the qualification period, preparing for a ride in a parking lot.

Not everything is about “is this course made for performance in terms of my strengths”.

Knibb has asked for a wild card to IM World Champs in Nice so she hasn’t hung around any! She won’t be bothered in finishing off the ITU WCTS.

ok ST, what do we think? should knibb get a wildcard to Nice?

My read on “The first thing I said after the individual race is how do we change the course in L.A." is that the Paris course was awesome in terms of scenery (true by popular consensus) and a parking lot in an LA suburb would be quite the opposite.

Knibb appears to be a person who values experiences and understandably she may not want to spend 4 years, or even the 2 years of the qualification period, preparing for a ride in a parking lot.

Not everything is about “is this course made for performance in terms of my strengths”.

Knibb has asked for a wild card to IM World Champs in Nice so she hasn’t hung around any! She won’t be bothered in finishing off the ITU WCTS.

Beyond that she is also asking to be part of road world Individual TT in Zurich on the same weekend. She said next year road worlds is in Rwanda and Kona is in Oct so she likely won’t be able to do road worlds this year, but if she does not get into IM Worlds in Nice, the same weekend she plans to do the road worlds.

**Absolutely !!! **

Would be good for the spectators. Pretty screwed up for her competitors that had to plan a season to validate or qualify. She wasn’t hurt and could have planned her season accordingly to race it. Maybe she was banking on a gold medal which gets her a slot? I’m sure her competitors would be happy to have not had to run a marathon in a race and just get a wildcard.

Would be good for the spectators. Pretty screwed up for her competitors that had to plan a season to validate or qualify. She wasn’t hurt and could have planned her season accordingly to race it. Maybe she was banking on a gold medal which gets her a slot? I’m sure her competitors would be happy to have not had to run a marathon in a race and just get a wildcard.

yeah, i’ve said in the past that i think kona/nice should make liberal use of wildcards to make the race exciting. but i admit if i were on the start line i’d be a little miffed if they gave one to a relay silver medalist who didn’t have the huge racing mileage on her legs that me and all the other girls did.

i guess ultimately the thing about IM being private is they can invite whoever they like.

yeah, i’ve said in the past that i think kona/nice should make liberal use of wildcards to make the race exciting. but i admit if i were on the start line i’d be a little miffed if they gave one to a relay silver medalist who didn’t have the huge racing mileage on her legs that me and all the other girls did.

i guess ultimately the thing about IM being private is they can invite whoever they like.

Imagine being Lucy Charles and you were told you had to do a validation race and that race has now lead you to getting potentially hurt. Then hearing they are just gonna give someone a wildcard slot who has chosen to race short course all year. I think miffed would be an understatement.

As a fan I don’t think a relay silver clears the bar for a wildcard versus others who did a full IM or even the easy 2x70.3 path (not that hard to do). I assume the 70.3 second race validation window has closed?

I’m a Knibb fan and I say no. I think it’s a disservice to the rest of the athletes who had to qualify.

But I’m not going to be upset if she gets one. I would rather see her actually do a proper IM build/prep to see her true capabilities.

ok ST, what do we think? should knibb get a wildcard to Nice?Would be good for the spectators. Pretty screwed up for her competitors that had to plan a season to validate or qualify. She wasn’t hurt and could have planned her season accordingly to race it. Maybe she was banking on a gold medal which gets her a slot? I’m sure her competitors would be happy to have not had to run a marathon in a race and just get a wildcard.This.
Previous IMWC and last year’s podium and the 70.3 champion all have an easier route to gain an IMWC start (than all the other top athletes). In WPro that’s Haug, Ryf, Sodaro, LCB, Philipp and Knibb.
Every man and woman in that category (bar Blummenfelt and Knibb) has made significant effort/sacrifice to validate (Laidlow by the skin of his teeth). Blummenfelt will validate in Frankfurt, having given full focus to the Olympics till yesterday.
I hope IRONMAN publicly offer Yee and Beaugrand a ‘wildcard’ but the chances of either accepting is nil. If Knibb had won the individual I’m sure they would’ve done the same.
But IRONMAN is commercial organisation and they may judge the benefit of her participation for the US market aspect (seems small chance Sodaro will be anywhere, even on a Pinarello) outweighs the merit of fairness to other athletes and the hit on not following clear policy.
As a fan I don’t think a relay silver clears the bar for a wildcard versus others who did a full IM or even the easy 2x70.3 path (not that hard to do). I assume the 70.3 second race validation window has closed?Yes, Dev: two 70.3s required by 30 June; of course Knibb had the option so to do, but instead wanted to get a T100 in the bag.
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/c696-3058974/2024_IRONMAN_World_Championship_ProAthleteQualification_Validation.pdf

yep.

would knibb sort of be applying on the grounds of her win at 70.3 world’s last year? i mean, she kinda used that ticket getting to kona. so then maybe she’d be asking to get to nice on the strength of her 4th at kona?

from paris, i don’t think many in the individual race would want slots - yee and beaugrand don’t anyway.

yep.

would knibb sort of be applying on the grounds of her win at 70.3 world’s last year? i mean, she kinda used that ticket getting to kona. so then maybe she’d be asking to get to nice on the strength of her 4th at kona?

from paris, i don’t think many in the individual race would want slots - yee and beaugrand don’t anyway.

Kristian I’m sure does but he’s doing Frankfurt to validate. That really doesn’t seem fair if she gets a pass.

yep.

Kristian I’m sure does but he’s doing Frankfurt to validate. That really doesn’t seem fair if she gets a pass.

Interesting that Frankfurt is an option to validate for past winners. So Laidlaw had that option too had they not given him a slot ?

I would love to see all the medalists get an invite, would love to see Wilde and perhaps Spivey pitch up. Rider might be good too, dont think Pearson has it in him for long distance. And I dont get all the hate here for this, you think Knibb doesnt have enough races in her legs this year?? Keep in mind those that just have to validate, dont really have to run hard if they dont want to, just have to make a showing of it. So it is their choice on how hard that is, and I said it before, Lucy and Anne running so hard when they didnt have to was really stupid.

We should also reward smart racers, not just those that race like my dogs…

Imagine being Lucy Charles and you were told you had to do a validation race and that race has now lead you to getting potentially hurt. Then hearing they are just gonna give someone a wildcard slot who has chosen to race short course all year. I think miffed would be an understatement.

Knibb is a multiple medal Olympian. Lucy is not. She’s a World Champion. To validate she needed to do two 70.3s or a full. She chose to do the full.

Knibb could have done another 70.3 instead of San Francisco and requested a wild card. That would have strengthened her case. But as it is, I think people are being too harsh with how they say IM needs to dole these slots out. IM has no obligation to give one to Knibb. No obligation to say Laidlow’s DQ completion was good enough, and no obligation to give Lucy a pass. But Laidlow looked them in the eye and called their bluff and they caved. Lucy could have tried the same. Maybe they would have – I think they would have.

Knibb, they may want to make an example out of. But let’s keep in mind Knibb has always spoken highly of Ironman and has said it’s the pinnacle of the sport for her. But at the same time she was representing her country in the Olympics. That’s a pretty big deal.

I wouldn’t be upset if they let her in, nor should anyone else. It’s entirely their right and she’s clearly worthy of it. At the same time, it’s perfectly acceptable for them to say no, she’s not allowed in.

But really, if you have a wild card system, it’s there to give out as you see appropriate either to be fair to the athletes or hype up your race. The purpose of the wild card system is NOT to be fair to previously qualified ones. It’s to make a more exciting race for athletes that didn’t follow the prescribed qualifying path. Will Knibb make the race more exciting? Doesn’t that answer what they should do?

Knibb is a multiple medal Olympian. Lucy is not. She’s a World Champion. To validate she needed to do two 70.3s or a full. She chose to do the full.

Knibb could have done another 70.3 instead of San Francisco and requested a wild card. That would have strengthened her case. But as it is, I think people are being too harsh with how they say IM needs to dole these slots out. IM has no obligation to give one to Knibb. No obligation to say Laidlow’s DQ completion was good enough, and no obligation to give Lucy a pass. But Laidlow looked them in the eye and called their bluff and they caved. Lucy could have tried the same. Maybe they would have – I think they would have.

Knibb, they may want to make an example out of. But let’s keep in mind Knibb has always spoken highly of Ironman and has said it’s the pinnacle of the sport for her. But at the same time she was representing her country in the Olympics. That’s a pretty big deal.

I wouldn’t be upset if they let her in, nor should anyone else. It’s entirely their right and she’s clearly worthy of it. At the same time, it’s perfectly acceptable for them to say no, she’s not allowed in.

But really, if you have a wild card system, it’s there to give out as you see appropriate either to be fair to the athletes or hype up your race. The purpose of the wild card system is NOT to be fair to previously qualified ones. It’s to make a more exciting race for athletes that didn’t follow the prescribed qualifying path. Will Knibb make the race more exciting? Doesn’t that answer what they should do?

I know for a fact they told Kristian he had to either validate or win gold to get into Kona. They would not give him a wildcard hence him doing Frankfurt. Yes it would make it more exciting if Taylor was there but I’m sure you can also see how as an athlete you play by the rules and they just bend them at will.

No Knibb got to IMWC 2023 because she won the 2022 70.3WC at St George. Winning Lahti in 2023 was her ticket to IMWC 2024 (Nice), but only if validated (conditions see IM link in previous post).

On ‘wildcards’; policy (issued ?November 2023) says:
7. Wild Cards
a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitation s
to participate in the 2024 Championship Race.
b. IRONMAN, in its sole discretion, may elect to offer special invitations to 2024 Olympic Champions to
participate in the 2024 Championship Race.

The only ‘extraordinary circumstances’ which justified a 7a. last year was for Siddall: can’t remember the rationale/circumstance.

No Knibb got to IMWC 2023 because she won the 2022 70.3WC at St George. Winning Lahti in 2023 was her ticket to IMWC 2024 (Nice), but only if validated (conditions see IM link in previous post).

On ‘wildcards’; policy (issued ?November 2023) says:
7. Wild Cards
a. Due to extraordinary circumstances, IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, elect to offer special invitation s
to participate in the 2024 Championship Race.
b. IRONMAN, in its sole discretion, may elect to offer special invitations to 2024 Olympic Champions to
participate in the 2024 Championship Race.

The only ‘extraordinary circumstances’ which justified a 7a. last year was for Siddall: can’t remember the rationale/circumstance. She won Lahti and got 2024 worlds slot WITH validation and she just needed to do 2x70.3. From what I see Haug did Nice70.3 age group race as part of her validation (no pro women’s field), so there are tens of non pro 70.3s around the us that she could have done another 70.3 at in addition to Oceanside without a major travel detour last fall or early in 2024. So not sure why she should get her invite validated when everyone else gave it a try. She should just go and do UCI road TT worlds where she has a slot.

No Knibb got to IMWC 2023 because she won the 2022 70.3WC at St George. Winning Lahti in 2023 was her ticket to IMWC 2024 (Nice), but only if validated (conditions see IM link in previous post).From what I see Haug did Nice70.3 age group race as part of her validation (no pro women’s field), so there are tens of non pro 70.3s around the us that she could have done another 70.3 at in addition to Oceanside without a major travel detour last fall or early in 2024.Haug raced (was allowed to race) Nice 70.3 so she could have a race ride round the area and in particular the descent into the valley (several top athletes (Ryf, Sodaro, LCB, Lee, Hering, Matthews) raced this in 2019 (70.3WC), but Haug stayed away saving herself for Kona (which of course she won)).
Haug had already validated with IM Lanzarote. The two x 70.3 validation option has to be ‘Pro’ races and Knibb could’ve raced Boulder (her local race!) rather than T100 SF (the same w/e)
ProTRiNews pod suggested that IRONMAN might choose to offer Julie Derron a Nice slot on the back of her silver.

ProTRiNews pod suggested that IRONMAN might choose to offer Julie Derron a Nice slot on the back of her silver.//

Like I mentioned earlier, they should offer any triathlon medal winner a start in the WC. Derron would be a great one, Wilde another, and of course the woman that would be favorite to win it, Knibb. Could be a couple others in there I’m not thinking of, Lindeman seems like she would be a great candidate. Lets have a race and see who is the best!!!

But how many head would explode if another Sutto athlete came in and destroyed everyone for the win, I can hear the outrage through my computer already… (-;