Talk to me about the course you use for Chung testing

I want to invest time to do Chung testing, but I can’t figure out where to do my loops. Can you explain yours? How long is your lap?

Maybe it’ll spark some ideas for me

I live in a neighborhood w ~20 miles of road situated in loops, and i ride early in the morning, there’s no traffic at that time. It feels like I should find a good spot but I can’t think of one

My issue is don’t think I can consistently stay in aero position / take turns at speed or a high power around these loops. If I’m going 15mph, sure … but not 25mph. Do I need to be going race pace to test?

I have loops with good elevation gains, but those exacerbate the problem of turning at a very high pace, without leaving aero or touching the brakes.

try searching for the platypus thread… it has all things virtual elevation there as well as the real Dr. Chung comments.

I still can’t figure out how to do 90degree turns, in aero, while not hitting the brakes =)

again, I suggest (though it is a very large topic) scanning through that thread. There is a lot of excellent info on the topic. If you are at the turn about point then it is not an issue and will serve as a clear marker of the turn point. There are numerous ways to set a course, it does not have to be an out and back. It can be a circle. Strangely it has been quiet since 2023…
link to thread: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol

There’s an outdoor velodrome right in my backyard. If you even have one within driving distance it would be worthwhile.

Yup, I went back and reread.

It like I can do an out and back, but need to manually manipulate files. Seems like too much work? Maybe I don’t realize how easy it could be tho

Otherwise I need a loop. Mark the road where I go / into out of the turn, steady power, and hold thr same position the entire time. Right?

I can’t think of an area I can ride on, and take 90degree turns in aero at speed very confidently. On my road bike this isn’t an issue

are you using the aero test in golden cheetah? I think it has improved a lot since I last tried it. Also Dr R Chung has neat hacks like hitting the brakes at certain points to mark or even a bump to mark a lap. When done to his level of precision, he can even see a bump in the road… as he often says for him it is not to find the perfect route, he would rather fix it at home when doing the calculations with a nice cup of coffee. (not an exact quote :wink: )I suggest the big thing is wind or traffic. If those are not a factor then you can see how reproducible your results are on various laps to see if you have thing under control. It is not easy but it is a lot less expensive than a wind tunnel and more real world. Another person who has a lot of experience on the forum is @marcag.

Maybe signs of a failing economy in my region. TT venues:

-New but undeveloped housing developments. We have one that’s 1.8 mi with no houses, great concrete pavement, developed landscaping, ponds, walking paths, and sidewalks.
-Old or lightly used mall. Get there early in am. Ride the outer road around the parking lot.
-Large HS. Same as mall.
-Old Air Force Base
-Ask a local trucking company where they test/train their students out for CDLs

I apologize that I’ve turned the technical unto the sociological, but this is how I do it.