Supertri?

Yeah if you didn’t follow Super League, it could be annoying that they deleted the old website after rebranding to “supertri” and wrote fuck all in the new one.

A rough idea of the formats: https://www.triathlete.com/...ue-triathlon-anyway/

Also look for Super League races on Youtube, or browse the videos in the supertri channel. The formats are explained at the beginning of each broadcast. And the broadcasts are top notch.

5 outdoor events. Same as last year, minus Malibu (thankfully), plus Chicago and Boston. I note that the schedule avoids clashes with the T100 races (NEOM a bit close to Dubai, but it is, iyswim). This would be entirely doable in tandem and allow (very) hot shots (like Wilde or GTB or Bergère) to accept T100 wildcards to Ibiza, Las Vegas and Dubai.

Can be in Boston in person!!

I’m so excited for Supertri Boston! I’ve raced the Boston tri many times and will now definitely be racing this year and will stick around to watch in person.

5 outdoor events. Same as last year, minus Malibu (thankfully), plus Chicago and Boston.
"supertri races:
August 18: supertri BostonAugust 25: supertri ChicagoSeptember 8: supertri LondonOctober 6: supertri ToulouseNovember 3: supertri NEOM
“Explaining the decision behind their move to a franchise based model, supertri CEO Michael D’hulst emphasized that it is all about the sport”
https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/supertri-leagye-2024-team-model-brand-new-initiative

There was a hint of this “private team” model in a podcast episode late last year. Can’t remember if it was Talking Triathlon or ProTriNews. It’s supposedly modeled after Formula one.

Maybe, just maybe it’ll generate more excitement than the animal teams did.

There was a hint of this “private team” model in a podcast episode late last year. Can’t remember if it was Talking Triathlon or ProTriNews. It’s supposedly modeled after Formula one.
The Brownlee brothers launch their own supertri team led by Paris 2024 Team GB stars
I wonder if Dickinson and others from the GBR stable will be signed up too?
https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/alistair-jonny-brownlee-racing-supertri-franchise-announcement

The Brownlee brothers launch their own supertri team led by Paris 2024 Team GB stars
https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/alistair-jonny-brownlee-racing-supertri-franchise-announcement

Potter and Yee signed up, straight in there!

There was a rumour going around that Yee and Jonny don’t get on, if that was true they seek to have gotten over it.

https://www.tri247.com/...anchise-announcementPotter and Yee signed up, straight in there! As per article. How about Luis and GTB to bolster the rosta? Even if they do go middle distance it won’t be till next season.

Tri247 article:
https://www.tri247.com/...ee-brownlee-brothers
2024 supertri schedule
Podium Racing, Brownlee Racing, Crown Racing and Stars & Stripes Racing for the five-stop supertri league:
August 18: supertri BostonAugust 25: supertri ChicagoSeptember 8: supertri LondonOctober 6: supertri ToulouseNovember 3: supertri NEOM
Other races:
22-Sep IM IRONMAN WC - Nice (WPro)
27-Sep WTCS Weihai
29-Sep T100 PTO Ibiza
19-Oct T100 PTO Las Vegas
23-Oct WTCS Torremolinos
24-Oct IM IRONMAN WC - Kona (MPro)
16-Nov T100 T100 Dubai
29-Nov T100 T100 World Champs (SE of Kuwait)

Has anyone noticed the teams on their website?
Only 8 days to go to the 1st race.Brownlee racing is Beth Potter, Jess Learmonth, Jess Fullagar and Olivia Mathias
Crown Racing - have only named the Bahrain contracted athletes so far so maybe will have some other athletes rotating in
Stars and Stripes have Spivey, Zaferes, Kasper and Cathia SharHere you are @Sheridan:
Supertri team rosters for 2024
https://www.tri247.com/...supertri-2024-season

Brownlee Racing
Women: Beth Potter, Jess Learmonth, Jess Fullagar, Olivia Mathias.
Men: Jonny Brownlee, Alex Yee, Sergio Baxter Cabrera, Connor Bentley.
Podium Racing
Women: Jeanne Lehair, Fanni Szalai, Vitoria Lopes, Leonie Periault.
Men: Leo Bergere, Matt Hauser, Kenji Nener, Dorian Coninx.
Crown Racing
Women: Cassandre Beaugrand, Georgia Taylor-Brown, Kate Waugh.
Men: Hayden Wilde, Vincent Luis, Max Stapley.
*One woman and one man to be announced
Stars & Stripes Racing
Women: Taylor Spivey, Katie Zaferes, Kirsten Kasper, Cathia Schar.
Men: Chase McQueen, Seth Rider, Vasco Vilaca, Tim Hellwig.

“The four teams of four men and four women . . . must include an under-23 athlete in line with supertri’s commitment to developing the future of triathlon.” Besides individual prize money, teams will compete for a prize pot of $1.1m.
I’d observe that Spivey is contracted to race Ibiza, Las Vegas and Dubai. You’d think she’d need time to get ‘TT bike ready’ and that transition will compete with travel and racing supertri.

Thanks for posting. I wonder why Crown Racing’s roster is incomplete. Not too many Bahrain Daily Execution Show fans among the non-sponsored athletes?

Couldn’t find anything on where this could be watched online. Hoping triathlon live tv has it

Depends on your region. For North America, it’s either World Triathlon’s feed or Bein Sports.

I hope someone working for SuperTri is watching this thread, so whoever is doing the YouTube channel, completely unforgivable putting the race winner spoiler in the thumbnail!

Good to see GTB winning a race again, Brownlee racing boys having a shocker!

Hope to actually see a Brownlee taking charge of these teams soon!

The team aspect was impossible to follow live. There were announcers giving somewhat of a play-by-play to the audience, but they didn’t focus on the team component much. //

A lot of people here like to complain about this aspect of the racing, but it is basically the same thing in cycling, and that sport has been around forever. Your average viewer tuning into Peacock and watching the tour, has virtually no clue on what is going on with the team tactics, except for when they show some schlep with 15 water bottles all down his jersey. Over time many will catch up with what is going in Super Tri, but most will just watch and enjoy it from a 30k ft view where it is still highly enjoyable…

Brownler boys off the back from first pontoon. Was definitely a disadvantage being on that side of the pontoon. Still, surprised they didn’t get back on. Will be interesting to see how Johnny does, presumably in London

Great racing again yesterday, GTB looks on it! Cant help thinking Paris came a bit too soon for her with recovery, hoping she can boss the rest of the season, Potter has an Olympic medal hangover as does Yee it seems.

Great to see the crowds out, despite the weather!

Hope im not working again!! For next years so I can attend.

1 Like

It’s far more obvious in cycling, not really sure what you’re talking about. Half the day you watch the front of the peloton which is usually bossed by one or two teams clearly working together to control the race. If you watch the last 30-60min of a stage race you’ll usually see teams preparing and leading out either their sprinters or GC leaders to help launch them to a potential stage win.

Even the small nuances like putting satellite riders in the break, or the peloton controlling the break by allowing/not allowing so much time are quite often talked about and give the viewer a decent understanding of what is going on tactically. Granted when you have 5 hours of racing to commentate you can cover this unlike supertri where the race is done and dusted fairly quick.

Observations from Supertri London:

1. The course is so much more interesting than the U.S. ones.
  2. The team aspect is becoming more and more prominent as Vincent Luis refuses to work in the chase group when Wilde is off the front, and the Stars and Stripes women and Podium Racing men clearly stick together and wait for one another.
  3. The teams should be more evenly matched. Right now we’re looking at two favorites and two laggards. The manager of Stars and Stripes (Parker Spencer) doesn’t even pretend they can challenge Crown or Podium. He’s focusing to make sure his team gets more points than Brownlee racing.
  4. Amazing crowds near transition and the Brits just looooove their athletes. Alex Yee was one of the happiest people in the area despite finishing last (sans those eliminated).
  5. Surprising developments with people such as Rider or Mathias being able to stay near the front. Mathias was helped by blatant moto drafting, but Rider (and Chase McQueen on his wheel) apparently didn’t hold British passports and so had their work cut out during their breakaway with the moto rider choosing to covet them from a distance :rofl:
  6. To say that Beth Potter is a shadow of her former self is to say nothing. What a shame. Someone needs to challenge the dominance of Bahrain-sponsored women and right now those challengers (Lehair, Spivey) don’t have a leader.

This seems to be one the of threads that lost some posts in the transition to the new ST. I remember there were more comments after the Chicago race, including one by me.

In any case, I really enjoyed yesterday’s event. I haven’t really been a close follower of SuperTri , but got more into it after watching the races in-person in Chicago a couple weeks back.

I thought the coverage and racing yesterday was excellent. One thing that’s interesting is that when watching in-person there’s a lot of attention paid to the back of the race and the 90-second rule. The announcers in Chicago really played it up and the crowd cheered almost as loudly for the athlete fighting to avoid elimination as they did for the front of the race. It was barely mentioned in yesterday’s broadcast. That’s not a critique, just an observation.

Although the crowds in Chicago were adequate, they were nothing like London and I felt a little retroactive embarrassment. On the other hand, I enjoyed being able to get so close to so many Olympic medal winners without standing in line or fighting a crowd. If you’re a fan of the sport, the access is pretty amazing.

1 Like