PSA: Front Page, Forum Changes Aug 28, 2024

Ok. I’ve worked out my biggest issue with the update is that all of the old posts ported over have lost the ‘quote’ rendering them almost impossible to follow. Posts on the new thread make a bit more sense, but to value of the site (at present) is the historic archive. Trying to follow the hookless discussion, or any other where there was back and forth discussion with not being able to attribute who was replying to who and what was a quote vs a fresh statement is a real issue.

Good luck trying to sort.

1 Like

There was another forum I used to frequent and occasionally still do where there was a “political playground” section. Based on the forum content and # of threads in the various sections/catgories, I thought it worked well.

It wouldn’t make sense to make separate categories for sports, finance, etc as there just isn’t enough posting in the LR to justify that. But lump them together in an “off topic” category and it makes a little more sense.

There’s zero politics in the triathlon forum. It would be nice to have non triathlon discussion without seeing trump, Biden, kamala in 75% of thread titles.

Works for me :+1:

found it out. the empty text balloon on the left top when replying on a post

There is a “tag” capability now, and users can configure a set of tags they want to mute/hide. Perhaps tag certain threads as politics, spoilers, etc so that they can be optionally hidden. I’m not sure who has the capability to add tags, i.e. if it has to be OP or if the tagging can be crowdsourced.

Also it seem the image used here was pulled from my facebook profile perhaps based on me using the profile to reply to a front page article. I don’t have an issue with that but for those wondering it looks like you can change the image from your “preferences” and upload something else (or I assume nothing at all if someone wants that). I personally like how it is done on LinkedIN. It can get heated over there too, but when people can identify each other it tends to keep things along the lines of “what you would say in a public square”.

Thanks! That is helpful!!! I just practiced!!!

I am 99.8% positive that images were pulled from what you had uploaded as a picture in your ST user account and not anywhere else.

And yes, you are correct on your picture.

I noticed a bunch of the Ironman Chattanooga bike course discussion, including all the comments by the RD, did not make the transition.

Thanks, that makes the most sense that one of the 4 pics in the old account may have been used. I’ll go change it (it has me and Jonathan Toker from Salt Stick riding on Mauna Kea so not fair to Jonathan).

Good work on affectng this transition. I think we’re all a bit disoriented until we’re not. It feels like being taken from NYC to Tokyo and trying to figure out how to use a different subway system…eventually you become “expert”

I think one of the best changes to the look and feel of the new site is that I feel like everyone has a face and a person. Old format was just walls of text and disconnected me from seeing different individuals vs “slow twitch says…”

Highlight then reply

Glad to see hyperlinks are automatic now. It seemed that 95% of ST users didn’t know how to use the URL button in the old forum.

0% of anything was pulled from another platform. We have simply never had “Plugins” that ever connect in that manner. If something is showing up in your profile it’s becuase you placed it in your profile at somepoint.

1 Like

OK thanks. I thought it may have come off front page article posts.

As an IT person, I always wondered when the old archaic forum was good to be retired. I also know how difficult these rollouts can be.

Looking forward to people not lazily replying to the last post in a thread…

2 Likes

just to be lazy
since i changed to dark background and white writing its all good
the default fond is incredible annoying.

I was just searching on the internet for how much it costs for me to fly with my bike on Air France from North America. The fourth link was an old ST thread, but when I clicked on it, I came to home page of new site with “oops not found”.

My guess is that there is a lot of old content out there, that may not be accessible. I hope there is a way to connect all that, as that knowledge base from the past is a huge asset for you guys!!!

Thanks that works too!

We have to re-submit the site map with redirects for those…should get there soon(ish)

2 Likes