Position One Active Wear

Dan,

Are there pockets on the regular (non-bib) tri shorts?

No - not on the regular riding shorts. You will find a lot of pockets on the cycling shirts and in the bibs.

I didn’t know that you had shorts with the aero pad until I read the post above yours

GREAT news

I am ordering a pair now

Already have your wheels and other items

Thanks

I have found this thread quire helpful, and the posts brought your products to my attention in a positive manner. Sorry about that one poster hopefully that will be taken care of.

Welcome to Slowtwitch - I see you are new.

First - no - another company can not copy our design or placement. That’s the point of the Patent being granted.

If an athlete gets one of our products and it does not fit or they just don’t like it I am happy to exchange it or refund their money. There was a thread on this site about 8 months ago discussing refunds vs exchanges. A lot of opinions on both sides. A few comments were " I just order one of each size and color and send back what I don’t want" - that is the kind of thing we are trying to avoid. Position One is still a small company and that kind of practice is hard for us to deal with.

We are very proud of our products, the build quality and the saddle sore issues we have been able to solve with our pad innovation.

I’ve been here for 17 years and know all the players. 8 months ago that article was about Silca and the policy change Josh enacted. I get it.

Are you saying that your updating your return policy from store credit to refund back to the original method of payment?

My original point here is the fact that there are other high quality, cheaper options, with better return and warranty options available.

Registered
Sep 25, 21 7:16
Last Logged On
Apr 5, 23 3:17

So you were here for 17 years huh?

Thank you. Some valid points by all.

It has given me the opportunity to talk about some of the features that set us apart. Tomorrow I will go into Part 2 " How we make our pad shapes and why".

Welcome to Slowtwitch - I see you are new.

First - no - another company can not copy our design or placement. That’s the point of the Patent being granted.

If an athlete gets one of our products and it does not fit or they just don’t like it I am happy to exchange it or refund their money. There was a thread on this site about 8 months ago discussing refunds vs exchanges. A lot of opinions on both sides. A few comments were " I just order one of each size and color and send back what I don’t want" - that is the kind of thing we are trying to avoid. Position One is still a small company and that kind of practice is hard for us to deal with.

We are very proud of our products, the build quality and the saddle sore issues we have been able to solve with our pad innovation.

I’ve been here for 17 years and know all the players. 8 months ago that article was about Silca and the policy change Josh enacted. I get it.

Are you saying that your updating your return policy from store credit to refund back to the original method of payment?

My original point here is the fact that there are other high quality, cheaper options, with better return and warranty options available.

Registered
Sep 25, 21 7:16
Last Logged On
Apr 5, 23 3:17

So you were here for 17 years huh?

Yes. Prior user name Bryan0721

My limited review after only an hour on the trainer with the Position One (PO) aero bib:

Bike: Canyon Speedmax CF8 Disc
Saddle: ISM PN 3.1
Bike fit by Pedro (#1 Slowtwitch rated fitter)

Stats: 6’3" 200lbs, athletic/muscular with background in bodybuilding

PO Bib size: Large

Spoiler: initial impression 8/10, likely increasing to a 9 once I get used to it

The leg opening/grip/material feel/size is perfect. Tight enough not to move while riding but not so tight that my wife sees an impression of the bib across my quads the night after I did an 8am ride.

The shoulder straps could definitely be longer (taller?) for me. My usual bib fit has my straps going vertically over mid-clavicle, however the PO bib straps rest out toward my deltoids because they are too tight. This gives my chest/nipples center stage through my jersey.

The pad took some getting used to for me. Because there is a channel in the pad, my, uh… package has a hard time finding its comfortable resting spot. It took a few different hands-down-pants adjustments while riding to find a spot where I wasn’t torquing my scrot/testes in eye bulge inducing ways. However, once I fondled myself enough, I found the ideal spot for the boys, and it allowed the pad to shine.

I am looking forward to some more time in the bib. Chafing in aero with other bibs was a major problem for me, even with chamois cream. I raw-dogged the PO bib to chafe test it, and I probably won’t even need one of the 10 (included) cream packs they sent me.

Definitely won’t be using any of my old bibs on the tri-bike for training ever again.

Bonus: classic video unrelated to thread topic, yet related to thread contents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfmgc7P8gGM

In Part 2: The unique construction of Position One Pads

***Short version cliff notes: **Through additive manufacturing **we make any custom pad in any shape, size with variable density. *How we distribute those articulated cell foam strands offsets the common ‘pain zone’ pressure mapping areas in both our road pad or aero pad - depending on application. You are riding on a state-of-art product. It works.

Long Version:

We worked hard to find a manufacturing partner that we could collaborate with to make our custom pads. We created CAD files for the top 10 tri-saddles, overlaid the shapes and then removed a few outliers. That combination got us perfect map for about 90% of what athletes are using in the aero position. Next, we studied how athletes were sitting on those saddles. It became very obvious where the pressure was (pain zones), where pads were lacking coverage/density and what we needed to do to solve the problem.

Then we applied existing technology to our new design to move moisture away from the athlete. By designing hydrophobic and hydrophilic properties within the pad materials; the passage of moisture from the inside to the outside is constant. The system transports moisture away from the athlete and adds to comfort as well as removing bacteria filled moisture away from sensitive skin. Moisture is a huge contributor to saddle sores.

Both our road bike pad (sewn in the traditional position) and our aero bike pad (sewn in the aero position) shapes, contours and varying densities are manufactured with 3 types of open reticulated cell foam strand: 75 density (kg/m³), 120 density (kg/m³) and 100 density (kg/m³) with a total thickness of 16mm. How those foams are distributed offsets the common ‘pain zone’ pressure mapping areas in both the road pad or aero pad depending on application.

For cover fabric (the side that touches your skin) we use polyamide (80-82%) and elastane (18-20%) with a “soft-brush” finish that gives a soft and pleasant touch. That fabric is also treated with an antibacterial and hydrophilic process - pulling moisture.

Thanks to the latest 3D print and shape/shave technologies - CAD files are created to model specific shapes, sizes and contours with varying density; allowing the build-up of different densities and characteristics within one pad. No hot melting, gluing or sewing foam stacks together.

You are riding on a state-of-art product. It works.

Road Bike pad position in tri-bib/shorts.http://blob:https://forum.slowtwitch.com/fe02192f-450b-49f8-a254-e368959aa691
http://blob:https://forum.slowtwitch.com/46c1d6c0-005b-4f18-8b15-ec23f0239215
Pain Zone Pad.jpg

Position One Pad
Position One Pad.jpg

Position One Pad

Oh my goodness

The answer to my wants!!!

Thank you

Had my first ride in the triathlon training bibs yesterday.

I had first ordered the triple shorts and they were a little long for my body type and were loose at the ends towards my knees so I messaged Dan and I sent them back and ordered the bibs. He was awesome about it and credited me back my money even before he received my return.

Anyways when I first tried on the bibs they were almost too long again in the same way, until I got on the bike. They ended up being almost the perfect length, I would say if I could make them 1 inch shorter I would, but I am a really small framed guy and have always had issues finding clothes that fit well. The shoulder straps were a bit tight but not uncomfortable.

Now for the pad-It definitely feels different than any other that I have. It almost feels like there is more padding on the outsides than directly in the middle. I have an ism saddle and it was like it fit it perfectly. I rode on the trainer for a little over an hour mostly in the aero position and had 0 discomfort or numbness. I would say it was the most comfortable pad Ive ever used and it didn’t move around at all. It conformed to my undercarriage like a glove. I would definitely recommend if you spend a lot of time in the aero position or if you are struggling with saddle soreness.

I am doing IM Texas in a couple weeks and really considering changing into them for the bike

For reference I am 5’9" and 128lbs

Great write up. Thoughts on their trisuit, if you have tried it.

I have not tried the trisuit but I am seriously thinking about ordering one. If I order on Monday I am sure I would get it by Thursday and would give me time to try it before Texas so Im giving myself until then to decide. I actually ordered a new trisuit from Rule 28 before I tried these bibs but didn’t realize the shipping time coming from Europe so there is a good chance that it won’t even be here by the time I am leaving for the race…so might just order the position one trisuit and send the other back but idk.

Maybe consider wearing them over top your tri shorts and remove them after bike rather than changing.

Temporarily sold out of size large mens bib with aero pad. More on the way.

I received my Position One Tri-suit a day or so ago, and was so taken by the design & quality, I thought I’d share some info and a few photos as those on the Position One website don’t do justice to the product. They’re in-work on updating photos & sizing chart, so maybe this is for naught but here goes…

I’m M50-54, 5’7” (170cm) & 165lbs (75kg). I have a 41” (104cm) chest, 34” (86cm) waist, 28” (71cm) inseam & 24” (61cm) thighs.

I picked a Medium after chatting with Dan Kennison (@DKennison), as at the time of researching I remember the size chart on the website saying XL or bigger (again, Dan’s in-process of fixing this). I’ll say this, the Medium feels perfect. I definitely wouldn’t want it looser or tighter, although I don’t think I’m close to “blowing seams too tight” either. I’d probably pop seams or have to have it cut off if I somehow shoehorned a small on. Anyway, fit wise, once on it feels like it’s just not there. I guess maybe “2nd skin” like but I try to refrain from cliches, and that statement seems ripe.

I was worried about the significant black area about the torso. I’m not in the Southern USA (I’m in the North) & don’t deal with the gnarly heat our southern friends do, but I’ve also experienced the train wreck high core temperature has on my performance too - so I’m sensitive to it. Also, frankly, I’m a bit of a “show-pony”. At least relative to most triathletes I’ve seen in my short time in the sport. I like bold & bright colors. Maybe not “Yo Yo Yo bright” (no offense Mr. Long) but I’m definitely brighter than a one or two-tone kit guy.

I work with Brian Stover (@DesertDude - who partnered with Dan on the design, especially the aero development & performance of the suit) as I’m an Accelerate 3 athlete working directly with Coach Frank Kaiser. That’s my closest connection to Position One, i.e., I’m NOT a supported athlete nor have I been incentivized for these comments.

Anyway, the black I was concerned about on the torso, as you can see in one of my photos, is fully vented other than the very front torso panel and the shorts portion. Being so vented, I’m thinking this is going to perform more like a dark colored sunscreen than what I was expecting. I’m super pumped on this material!

I was surprised to not see ribbing in the black panels over the shoulders, as that seems to be an aero solution on other suits out there. Once on, and maybe tough to see in the photo, the vented material takes on a rough exterior surface that reminds me more of golf ball dimpling - it’s not dimpling, but that what it reminds me of. I know Brian worked diligently on the aero performance of this suit - so I’m not concerned aero-wise.

Speaking of shoulders, Brian did educate me on the impact of overlapping wrinkles on aero performance, overlaps existing at all or especially those extending over the traps and/or over or around the shoulders & arms. As you’ll see in my aero position example picture - we’re in good shape there as the material maintains its shape well.

I don’t have any time on this chamois yet, but I do have close to 10 indoor hours on their Tri-Training Bib. While there’s slight differences between the training bib & Tri suit chamois (the suit chamois is thinner & more hydrophobic than the trainer, shape & position is the same), but given how good the trainer chamois is, I really don’t expect the suit chamois to feel any different. I will say, I’ve felt the trainer chamois “break-in” over maybe the first 3hrs. It was comfortable to start but got even more so after 3ish hours use.

Two last technical points: 1) I’ll add that on both the training bib & the suit, the material feels more durable than any bib, short or suit I’ve used (I’ve been cycling a dozen + years for reference). “More durable” felt stiffer than typical as I unboxed them. Once on… as flexible as anything, which kind of blew my mind - just weirdly great.
Shah. 2) The bright white trim portions you see in the photos is the reflective details popping off with the fill flash used on the camera.

Honestly, I was on the fence about this suit as the website photos aren’t awesome, the volume of black scared me and there just hasn’t been any info on them out there. Now, after getting my hands on it and wearing it, I’m 100% confident I made the right choice.

Maybe this post will provide some helpful info to anyone on the fence like I was, at least until Dan gets his photos & size chart updated.

For what it’s worth.

MD

PosOne, TS, Front.JPG
PosOne, TS, Side.JPG
PosOne, TS, Back.JPG
PosOne, TS, Venting Detail.JPG
PosOne, TS, Shoulder Detail (web).jpg

Very kind of you to take the time to provide feedback. Thank you.

If an athlete trains with our bib or shorts with our Patented pad, uses our chamois cream and races in our trisuit during an event - they can concentrate on performance rather than how sore or uncomfortable they have been in the past. This was our goal. Speed - Comfort - Results

You may have noticed a “Coffee For Kids” tab on our home page.

If there are any coffee drinkers out there… please consider a purchase of our world class coffee so you can help us help others. https://positiononesports.com/collections/donate

We set up a sister company to help kids in Central America. 100% of the purchase supports kids that could use some help.

The coffee is in stock and includes the shipping fee in the US.

There are two items: a single farm coffee and a 4 farm cooperative coffee.

Thank You - just trying to do a little good in the world.