Olympic Swimming Fans and fishes, here we go!

1.) Judging from Marchand’s 200br final, I think he could have easily won the 100br too.

2.) With respect to that 100 freestyle WR… I don’t even understand how it’s physically possible. The guy is not that tall, not with a great wingspan, not especially muscled, not especially lean, not with any body type characteristics that resembles the commonly defined genetic swimmer. He didn’t have chlorine hair. His start wasn’t the difference. Neither was his turn. Yet, he dog walked the best the world had to offer and destroyed his own WR in a meh pool. I understand jumping to drug use, not as a character assassination, but as a potential answer to a total mystery. Even if you were to go with drug use, what drug??? You’d need magic to make me go that fast – straight magic.

If you look at the 100m on the track Andre DeGrasse falls into this category. He looks like a regular, guy, does not looks that strong, not your typical sprinter body type, but has insane fast twitch and force application for his body size and weight (you often see people like that in the weight room doing insane max squats with tiny bodies and no muscle definition that you would expect). Is this possible in swimming? Just huge fast twitch application of force while being streamlined as he does that? I don’t know, just asking.

for 46 second event, you still need a large aerobic capacity though. It’s not like 9.8 second 100m sprint. So all the drugs that enhance oxygen carrying capacity would make a difference if not you can do the entire race barely breathing.

Hmmm… Oxygen carrying capacity drugs sound good, but I’ve never heard of them making much of a difference in a race that’s this short. I’m not saying this as an expert – or someone that’s even tried any illegal performance enhancers – I’ve just never even heard of anything like that as an option for 100m races.

Don’t think of it as WR’s, think of it as PB’s. Pan is only 19. He improved by 0.4s in the last year. That’s pretty typical of kids in their late teens.

as far as height, he’s listed as 1.9m on wiki, which is like 6’3. That’s maybe an inch shorter than Caesar Cielo. Quite a bit shorter than James Magnussen, a bit taller than Cam McEvoy. and same height as Caleb Dressel. (just picking those guys because they’ve all either had or been within a fingernail of the WR at some point).

Also whenever you say that guy can win all the other events he does not compete in I shake my head but we’ve been around this buoy before.//

We’ll I didnt say “all” the events, but certainly a lot of them. You can throw out the back strokes and the 50 free, but for reference in the NCAA’s, he broke the all time record in the 200 free, the 100 Brest and swam one of the fastest 100 frees on the relay…

So we can see from that meet that he is pretty versatile and is super competitive in those events. And then there is the 500 free he swam, a total off event for him and he sets the all time record and wins by like 5 seconds?? Who does that, and especially in NCAA’s where top times and swimmers have been crushing it for 50 years. I mean you can say that was yards or whatever, but I think he has proven that he can swim LCM, no?? I mean he is the only swimmer in history to do underwaters the entire 400IM to the absolute limits, imagine he could do the same in a 400 free…

Yes I’m certainly a fanboy, but I just dont see any real arguments that I’m wrong in my assertions. Lets see what he swims on the medley relays, my guess they win the individual swims he didnt do…

Talk about qualifying, how about that mixed relay?? So many different combos, see OZ and the US with different ones too. So are there any head fakes in this round, as in will teams actually switch some women for men and vice versa? Seems like the US order was good, but OZ right behind with Chalmers anchoring. Who do we switch out, Reagan, Dressel, and Fink are probably locks for the evening, and a switch to maybe one of our two 100 freestylers??

Real question for me is Marchand now put on the relay since France is within striking distance of the medal stand? It is after his 200IM prelim, so nothing really to save there, or do they want him to only win gold medals? I already posited that they could have perhaps won bronze in the 4x200 with him on board, so what do they go with here? Certainly it wouldn’t affect his program as he is on his last event and a whole days rest from a 100 is a cake walk for him…

China is up there with OZ in finishing with a man, the fastest man ever too. He even split with Chalmers, in about 47 flat, which is huge with all the waves they have to swim through. Something tells me if they are together at the end that Chalmers handles the chop a lot better, some old ocean nipper strength will come back…

SPOILER

Gutted for Dressel

A no-good, very-bad-day for America’s Caeleb Dressel. He didn’t make the podium in the 50 free final and now he hasn’t even made the final in the 100 fly. He won gold in both of those events in Tokyo just three years ago.

probably the worst night ever for usa swimming.

two 4ths, overshadowed by Dressel’s 6th and then failure to advance.

Lets see what he swims on the medley relays, my guess they win the individual swims he didnt do…

I think he will be 57 high 58 low and that he would have won the 100 breast had he done it. But I don’t think he knew that coming in. Qin and Peatty both disappointed.

Could he have medaled in the 200 free? Maybe. I’ll point out that Hobson beat him in SCY, Leon is BETTER in the SCY that LCM, and Hobson got 3rd. But I think the home pool advantage probably would have helped him out here.

100 free (no way), 400 free? Nah. Again, Hobson’s only been 3:46 so you cannot use the 500 as the marker.

So I think he could have won 5 individual golds, with a good shot at a 6th.

Its starting to look like France is going to close the meet for the men by ending the US men’s 400 medley relay streak. Manadou will hold off Armstrong (who won’t come close to approaching his 46.7).

We’ll I didnt say “all” the events, but certainly a lot of them. You can throw out the back strokes and the 50 free, but for reference in the NCAA’s, he broke the all time record in the 200 free, the 100 Brest and swam one of the fastest 100 frees on the relay…

And then there is the 500 free he swam, a total off event for him and he sets the all time record and wins by like 5 seconds?? Who does that, and especially in NCAA’s

Didn’t Katie Ledecky dabble in the SCY 400IM while at Stanford, setting, then advancing the American record in the process?

two 4ths, overshadowed by Dressel’s** 6th** and then failure to advance.

For a lot of countries that entire tally would be an amazing roll up performance from the entire meet!!!

Josh Liendo took 4th in the 50 free for Canada, advanced in the 100 fly with 3rd overall. Him and Dressel train with Anthony Nesty, so minimally someone from that squad moved forward but neither of them medaled in the 50 free.

You’ll have to ask some of the ladies, I’m sure Ironclm has some thoughts on that subject…

He’s Italian - of course he’s good looking. As for best - I need to do more research.

Wrt to T&F there’s always more potential to influence the race of your fellow competitors – drafting, packs, having to run around people, collisions, etc. So, I think it makes some sense to go by place in T&F and pure time by swimming.

No drafting, packs, running around people, collisions in the 100m, 200m, 400, or hurdles.

two 4ths, overshadowed by Dressel’s 6th and then failure to advance.

You are forgetting Regan Smith’s silver in the 200 back.

100 free (no way), 400 free? Nah. Again, Hobson’s only been 3:46 so you cannot use the 500 as the marker./ /

Once again I will reiterate, “If he trained for them”. No he wont win the 100 or 400 off of his IM/Breastroke/fly training, but in my mind, he is so close from that training, that if he decided to focus on those(like Phelps did later on in the 100) he could certainly be a huge threat to be the best. I mean the guy that wins the 200 fly will often win or podium in the 100. He beat the all time best flier ever in this world there, a guy who probably will win the 100 or be within 100’s of it, so how come Marchand can’t be considered in that spot? Same with the 100 Breast, and the way he just crushed everyone in the 200IM, well means he can sprint. Which we already knew form. NCAA’s, and I will disagree with you on SCY, he is just as good at both of them, its what he grew up swimming his entire career too…

And to discount that 500 free of his, well I think that is just silly as it was soooo far ahead of everyone else, including Hobson who you like to compare him too. Yes Hobson piped him in the 200 in a later heat by a fingernail, but Leon is the 400 guy, everyone remember that 4;02 400IM?

Okay enough of our thought experiments, lets see what he does in his relays. Like you said, probably over a second faster than the winner of the actual event I would presume, maybe even 2. That medley relay of their is going to be fierce. Although I think Dressel was tanked from that 50 he swam, like McKeon was after her 200 back going into the IM. Seems like only Leon can do the doubles this time around, and both finals at that. More evidence…(-;

So you think Armstrong goes last in that relay? I think maybe in prelims, but will not be in the A final unless he goes a low 46…

You are forgetting Regan Smith’s silver in the 200 back.//

I was just going to post that it was a bad day for US men, but the women did great. Besides her silver, that got 1st and 3rd in the 200IM and look good to maybe get either those spots, or 2nd and 3rd after Summer unleashes her final swim…

And they qualified 1st in the mixed relay in the morning too, so some things to feel good about…

You are forgetting Regan Smith’s silver in the 200 back.//

I was just going to post that it was a bad day for US men, but the women did great. Besides her silver, that got 1st and 3rd in the 200IM and look good to maybe get either those spots, or 2nd and 3rd after Summer unleashes her final swim…
And they qualified 1st in the mixed relay in the morning too, so some things to feel good about…

Ya that women’s 200 IM is going to be a barn burner with our two girls plus Summer plus the Aussie girl who won the 200 back. I just hope Alex and Kate can pull out two medals of whatever color. I’m espec pulling for Alex b/c she is a local TN girl who swam for Nashville Aquatic Club growing up.

Regarding the U.S. men, they are still looking for an individual gold medal. Only one men’s event left, the 1500m, so we’ll see if Bobby Finke can pull out one final gold for the men. :slight_smile:

Anyone notice Summer’s breaststroke kick when they show an underwater view? There’s a distinct downward motion after each kick.

Regarding the U.S. men, they are still looking for an individual gold medal. Only one men’s event left, the 1500m, so we’ll see if Bobby Finke can pull out one final gold for the men. :slight_smile: //

Ya no individual gold, but 1 relay so far, good shot at medley, and also one in the mixed. Who would have ever guessed out one chance would be a guy in the 1500, the swimming world is topsy Turvey!!! But Finke has earned his shot and should be considered a co favorite with a couple others. He seems to be a big meet swimmer, so nothing bigger than this swim for. hm and the US…

Cam McEvoy’s 50 free win was, IMO, the story of the games so far. He could change the face of sprint training.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-10/cameron-mcevoy-using-revolutionary-training-tactics/103452016

McEvoy puts it down to finally turning a “gut feel” into a legitimate thesis that has seen him drop his weekly training distance to just 3km from what was once 70km as a 13-year-old.

3k per week for an Olympic gold. Yes, that is correct.

McEvoy looks like he has bulked up quite a bit from when he was going well in the 100 free

Regarding the U.S. men, they are still looking for an individual gold medal. Only one men’s event left, the 1500m, so we’ll see if Bobby Finke can pull out one final gold for the men. :slight_smile: //

Ya no individual gold, but 1 relay so far, good shot at medley, and also one in the mixed. Who would have ever guessed out one chance would be a guy in the 1500, the swimming world is topsy Turvey!!! But Finke has earned his shot and should be considered a co favorite with a couple others. He seems to be a big meet swimmer, so nothing bigger than this swim for. him and the US…

Ya just a few yrs ago I was writing about how American D swimming has been in the doldrums since its heyday in the 70s with Brian Goodell, Tim Shaw, Bobby Hackett, etc. The Russian Salnikov dominated in the 80s, then the Aussies from about 1990 to about 2011, then Sun Yang from China from 2011 on to 2021. Finally now one of our swimmers is a top 800/1500 guy. Pre-Finke, I had figured the Aussies would just dominate D swimming forever. :):):slight_smile:

McEvoy looks like he has bulked up quite a bit from when he was going well in the 100 free

Yep, apparently he has spent a lot of time deliberately trying to put on the kgs.