Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…

I just kinda got the feeling from how Wilde was talking that he was being gracious in victory but it wasn’t necessarily him at fault. Let’s see if there is a video.

Is that on the ITU commentary? On the BBC commentary he said absolutely it was his fault and he caused it.

Women’s race, CB always seems to have the talent to pull off performances like that but is let down with her bike usually, to get a 10sec penalty and still win comfortably in a sprint, in field as strong as that is a mind blowing performance!

Shame Coldwell couldn’t hold on, GTB has an off day but still manages to come 2nd, the most shocking thing I’ve ever seen in ITU was Duffy being dropped on the bike till I was reminded by the commentary she had covid recently.

Just posted this on my Facebook page, along with a few pictures:

This is for all of my true triathlon friends: I always said when I was President of USA Triathlon, and sat on the World Triathlon Executive Board, that I was a fan first, an age-group athlete second, and then in it politically. Now that the political side is in the rearview mirror, an honest, non-politically biased, look at the last two days of World Triathlon in Leeds.

1. Let’s start positive. I said it several years ago, and it’s proving true - Cassandre Beaugrand is the next Gwen Jorgensen. Originally, “simply” an amazing runner, she has quickly become a top swimmer, and the excellent Fédération Française de Triathlon high-performance team will continue to strengthen her bike prowess. What a treat for her to know Paris 2024 is just around the corner. The French men are also well set up for the next Games.

2. Hayden Wilde is definitely the real deal, we’ll be seeing a lot of him on the road to Paris 2024. A shame he was part of the crash that took out favorites Jonathan Brownlee & Alex Yee; but, pretty classy to fully accept blame: “I know Jonny was pretty mad, he gave me some words. But that’s fair enough. I’m gutted for those guys. It’s totally my fault, I’m more than happy to own up to that. I feel really bad.”

3. Norway - after the Tokyo Olympics, and the phenomenal men of Norway shining brightly, Head Coach Arild Tveiten made it clear: his next goal was to bring up some women to the world-class level. A 7th place in the mixed relay today shows the progress. Big congrats to Norges Triatlonforbund.

4. How can I not express disappointment in seeing Team USA finish 9th and over 2 minutes back in the relay; plus, only Taylor Spivey shining in the individual race (4th). Matt Mcelroy had a great run yesterday, and I know he will continue to get back on track, but the rest of the guys were essentially non-existent (sorry for Kevin McDowell being involved in the crash). All and all, big pressure on the USA to shine at the next big World Triathlon race in 2 weeks in Montreal.

5. Commentary on TriathlonLive: I have ultimate respect for Helen Jenkins as an extraordinary athlete and great person; but, the commentary duo produce zero excitement, deep insights, storytelling (a key in today’s media world), and sound more like a golf commentary than what could be an exciting event. Prime example: how do you have zero mention or f/u on yesterday’s crash involving Jonny & Alex? The live broadcasts lost a lot when Barrie Shepley was dismissed; and is extra visible given the excellent broadcasting of both Super League Triathlon and Professional Triathletes Organisation events. Dare I add even IRONMAN?

6. Where’s the love? Shocked to see the lack of interest on the world’s largest triathlon forum, slowtwitch., both for the individual races and, especially, the relay. World Triathlon needs a serious marketing effort for so many reasons; but, I see this as a clear indicator. Its own Twitter feed had very few updates, simply showing the start and the finish. Unacceptable. If the sport is to grow, social media needs to be an emphasis. Create discussions, tell great stories (the return of 40-year-old Andrea Hewitt/Hansen!), and reflect the excitement and amazingness of our sport).

7. The races were exceedingly “Euro-centric.” 8 of the top 10 women and men, and all top 5 in mixed relay. Not a single Canadian (waiting for Montreal, saving $$$?), Mexico only racing the relay/no individuals. The huge continents of Africa and Asia, as well as South America, nowhere to be seen. World Triathlon needs to deal with this.

8. The crowds in Leeds were good for the individual races, but quite sparse for the mixed relay - really surprised to see that. And, if I heard correctly, this was the last year for Leeds on the WTCS circuit. What a shame! Until World Triathlon learns, appreciates, and takes advantage of its tremendous assets for sponsors, cities around the world simply can not afford and justify hosting these big events. Why do you think the USA has not hosted since 2015 in Chicago? The cost vs. benefit to the cities just doesn’t match up. World Triathlon has to cover more of the expenses; or, somehow, lessen them.

This is for all of my true triathlon friends: I always said when I was President of USA Triathlon, and sat on the World Triathlon Executive Board, that I was a fan first, an age-group athlete second, and then in it politically. Now that the political side is in the rearview mirror, an honest, non-politically biased, look at the last two days of World Triathlon in Leeds.

1. Let’s start positive. I said it several years ago, and it’s proving true - Cassandre Beaugrand is the next Gwen Jorgensen. Originally, “simply” an amazing runner, she has quickly become a top swimmer, and the excellent Fédération Française de Triathlon high-performance team will continue to strengthen her bike prowess. What a treat for her to know Paris 2024 is just around the corner. The French men are also well set up for the next Games.

2. Hayden Wilde is definitely the real deal, we’ll be seeing a lot of him on the road to Paris 2024. A shame he was part of the crash that took out favorites Jonathan Brownlee & Alex Yee; but, pretty classy to fully accept blame: “I know Jonny was pretty mad, he gave me some words. But that’s fair enough. I’m gutted for those guys. It’s totally my fault, I’m more than happy to own up to that. I feel really bad.”

3. Norway - after the Tokyo Olympics, and the phenomenal men of Norway shining brightly, Head Coach Arild Tveiten made it clear: his next goal was to bring up some women to the world-class level. A 7th place in the mixed relay today shows the progress. Big congrats to Norges Triatlonforbund.

4. How can I not express disappointment in seeing Team USA finish 9th and over 2 minutes back in the relay; plus, only Taylor Spivey shining in the individual race (4th). Matt Mcelroy had a great run yesterday, and I know he will continue to get back on track, but the rest of the guys were essentially non-existent (sorry for Kevin McDowell being involved in the crash). All and all, big pressure on the USA to shine at the next big World Triathlon race in 2 weeks in Montreal.

5. Commentary on TriathlonLive: I have ultimate respect for Helen Jenkins as an extraordinary athlete and great person; but, the commentary duo produce zero excitement, deep insights, storytelling (a key in today’s media world), and sound more like a golf commentary than what could be an exciting event. Prime example: how do you have zero mention or f/u on yesterday’s crash involving Jonny & Alex? The live broadcasts lost a lot when Barrie Shepley was dismissed; and is extra visible given the excellent broadcasting of both Super League Triathlon and Professional Triathletes Organisation events. Dare I add even IRONMAN?

6. Where’s the love? Shocked to see the lack of interest on the world’s largest triathlon forum, slowtwitch., both for the individual races and, especially, the relay. World Triathlon needs a serious marketing effort for so many reasons; but, I see this as a clear indicator. Its own Twitter feed had very few updates, simply showing the start and the finish. Unacceptable. If the sport is to grow, social media needs to be an emphasis. Create discussions, tell great stories (the return of 40-year-old Andrea Hewitt/Hansen!), and reflect the excitement and amazingness of our sport).

7. The races were exceedingly “Euro-centric.” 8 of the top 10 women and men, and all top 5 in mixed relay. Not a single Canadian (waiting for Montreal, saving $$$?), Mexico only racing the relay/no individuals. The huge continents of Africa and Asia, as well as South America, nowhere to be seen. World Triathlon needs to deal with this.

8. The crowds in Leeds were good for the individual races, but quite sparse for the mixed relay - really surprised to see that. And, if I heard correctly, this was the last year for Leeds on the WTCS circuit. What a shame! Until World Triathlon learns, appreciates, and takes advantage of its tremendous assets for sponsors, cities around the world simply can not afford and justify hosting these big events. Why do you think the USA has not hosted since 2015 in Chicago? The cost vs. benefit to the cities just doesn’t match up. World Triathlon has to cover more of the expenses; or, somehow, lessen them.

Some good and some not so good comments. For starters, Beaugrand hardly is “the next Gwen” as she always has been a top swimmer (see her win in Hamburg in 2018) when she was 3rd out of the water and ahead of uber swimmers like Flora, Spivey and GTB. Her issues always have been the bike and mental (she gives up A LOT when things aren’t going well) and she is appears to be much improved in both. She definitely is a gold medal contender for Paris.

Proclaiming the reigning Olympic bronze medalist as “the real deal” and predicting that we will see a lot of the 24-year old leading up to the next Olympics isn’t exactly valuable insight. Do you also think that Alex Yee is the real deal and that we will be seeing a lot of him leading up to Paris?

Thinking that Norway has suddenly solved its female problem based on today is bizarre. The other top women were a minute faster than their anchor (GTB was more than a minute faster) and CB and Knibb skipped the race. Norway is a long way away from competing with the best teams despite having possibly the fastest combined men.

Agreed that this was a bad weekend for Team USA but Knibb and Pearson were out and Zaferes is taking the year off. It would be nice to see some up and comers break through this year (like Germany has seen).

It always has been a criticism of triathlon that only a handful of countries are competitive in it. It is probably the most expensive sport (maybe modern pentathlon is more?) and takes up the most time. Poorer countries don’t want to fund it when they can fund soccer or track for a fraction of the cost (and have citizens already following). Swimming is even worse with basically the USA and Australia dominating and then everyone else but nobody seems to care and NBC has no problem with wall to wall coverage of it during the Olympics.

It’s sad that the USA cannot host an ITU race but where is the money going to come from to take huge losses hosting these races?

Agree in relation to the commentator.

Even poach will McCoy from superleague.

Or beg Barry back

Wow! GTB made up 30+ secs in that final leg of the relay, a silver after losing Yee and Jonny was a great result for GB.

Maybe I’m imaging this but I’m sure Germany didn’t even bother entering racers into the Olympics in Rio was it? As they had no chance of getting near a medal (was it Tokyo also?) So they’re coming on really well as a nation.

One thing to add about CB, although in flashes she’s looked like ‘the new Gwen’ I don’t think we’ve seen her do anything at Oly distance? Good to point out she gives up mentally if things aren’t going her way.

I’m pretty sure she wasn’t on the start list for this race unless I overlooked her or she was a late entry.

What do you make of the choice of USA Triathlon to start McElroy as first relay? Everybody who knows a bit about ITU and Mixed Relays knows that you put your strongest swimmer in the first relay, and yet somehow someone in charge of the US team thought it was a good idea to start with Matt??? Who makes these decisions? And (unless he decided he wanted to be first) not Matt’s fault either, he would have been a good third relay I think, playing more to his strengths.

Kevin McDowell crashed out day before, and would have been the #1 choice I’m guessing. Between Matt and Seth Rider, Matt had a much better day than Seth in the individual, and I think we all thought he’d get some time back on the run, as well as the long transition run. Don’t think anyone thought he’d have such a poor swim. The coaches, together typically with the high-performance director make the decisions. They have enormous stats at their fingertips. A healthy McDowell at #1, with Matt at #3, certainly would have made a difference; also, with Kirsten or Summer in there. We shall see in Montreal in 2 weeks.

Great insights… And Agreed they lost a lot when they lost Barry from the commentary. I have so much respect for Helen Jenkins as an athlete, but agree, that the coverage was somewhat flat… Vicky Holland and Ali Brownlee have both been awesome on SL coverage, and would be great to include in the WT feed… And maybe someone who understands the rules too, because for those of us who do, it can be frustrating to listen to. (I haven’t watched the recent IM coverage, I struggled in the past to watch with Welchie commentating)

I wish there had been more of a Canadian contingent, but I think it’s more than just waiting for Montreal. With Sharpe retiring from World Tri racing, Mislawchuk slowly coming back from last year, and Jo Brown back in school, it’s also a points/selection issue. Some of the younger athletes are picking away at World Cup/Conti races to be able to get regular WTCS starts, and many of them came back to North America early for Montreal, and are racing Huatulco instead before traveling to Montreal. I suspect that they are banking on grabbing better World Cup results to bolster their qualification efforts in the first block, before shifting to more WTCS racing later… (as surprised that they didn’t at least field a C team for the MTR though, given that Olympic Qualification has started).

I’m hoping the crowds are crazy in Montreal next weekend. Friday’s qualification should be interesting, since the 24th is a Quebec holiday (St. Jean Baptiste Day), which means people are off work, and likely drinking all day, so it could be Hamburg like…

And agreed, this discussion of World Tri, outside of the Olympics tends to be limited to handful or so of us, which is kind of crazy, because of the quality of racing… But yeah, North America seems to be IM or bust.

Slowtwich will never be interested in ITU till it gets its first uber biker N.American male winning races!

Till then Lionel changing his water bottle or helmet will get more hits than a whole season of ITU.

I just kinda got the feeling from how Wilde was talking that he was being gracious in victory but it wasn’t necessarily him at fault. Let’s see if there is a video.

The talk amongst athletes very close (on the ground) Wilde was trying to overtake where there was no room for him, kind of his signature move, clipped McCullough wheel causing him to go down. Wylde was able to save but those directly behind even though they saw it happen had no where to go but down. Hence why copped lip from Brownlee.

Sadly I think you’re right. And it’s weird too, because North Americans typically like shorter, tighter and more action packed sports, which you would think would lend itself more toward World Tri rather than Mdot racing. And nothing against Mdot racing, I’ll watch it like I watch the Tour De France on the sprint stages, check in periodically, and then watch the last hour… World Tri Races are more like the mountain stages, where you watch the whole thing because it changes constantly.

I’ve always thought that WT races were like the classics.
Certain courses play to certain athletes, there are often a few unexpected athletes who sneak in the top 5/10 that made it off the early break (swim/rode wheels)
And time and time again, the strongest athletes win.

I can’t figure out why DL racing isn’t more popular in NA.
My best guess…people get into triathlon for themselves 100%. And do not care one bit about other athletes. And the culture is of “me” not “us” when it comes to the sport.

In the rare areas of NA where there are groups that train together and have a social setting, I’ve found that DL racing is very popular. But those areas are hard to find.

As a coach, I’ll say this…
Draft Legal coaching is significantly more challenging than non-draft. The schedule/travel alone is enough to make me go crazy looking at all the various possibilities.

Fair point, as someone who also bike raced and crit raced for a while, and always sucked at TTs, I love DL sprint racing as an age grouper too…

And classics is a great analogy for WT racing…

As for the Hayden Wilde/Yee/Brownlee/McCullough crash, Pro Tri News on their Instagram have Hayden’s account of the crash: “So long story short, second lap out of T2 still carrying a lot of speed. I come out on the outside of Dylan he had a few people on his right. At this point Dylan and I were in line with each other. We both got out of the saddle, unfortunately then we touched elbows just slightly which led to Dylans’ front wheel to go a touch sideways, he went over the handlebars which then took out Jonny & Alex as followed my line up the hill. Never want this to happen in a race, especially to those two lads”.

Unfortunately I’ve experienced similar incidents in bike racing and it sometimes is not one person at fault, but several people doing reasonable actions at the same time, and as a result coming together. I also understand where those taken down as a result would be pissed too, since it’s something silly that has a major impact on your race, that you can’t control. I’ve seen fist fights between cyclists from these types of crashes in crits…

Duffy’s boss move dropping Beaugrand was the most incredible move I’ve ever seen on the women’s bike leg.
Yeah that was pretty awesome.

CB has her moments. But she is far closer to summer rappport than Gwen at this point in her career. No disrespect to any of those ladies intended.

I don’t think the announcing is bad, but it could be better. They pegged McElroy to “be up at the front of the swim,” on the MTR. Huh?

Leading off Mac was a tactical error. MTR is like musical chairs, every round someone gets out and then is out of the game (I know not completely true but mostly). He was last out of the water the day before. I feel like they were playing with matches doing that.

It’s amazing how much countries struggled with MTR orders with the switch to M-W-M-W until Paris… It seems like people forgot how important the leg 1 swim was and the leg 4 run were, and what that might mean with the legs flip flopping… I suspect that we’ll see more logical line-ups in Montreal next weekend for those that raced Leeds, and maybe a bit more variability for the countries that sat it out… Montreal is a bit of a different beast, in that the long, uphill run from Swim to T1 will allow some slightly weaker swimmers to potentially close gaps before mounting the bikes. As a result, a strong run is definitely an asset. Re-watched last year’s race the other day, and saw people in touch out of the water dropped before mounting the bike, just on the basis of the long hard run…

Fair point, as someone who also bike raced and crit raced for a while, and always sucked at TTs, I love DL sprint racing as an age grouper too…

And classics is a great analogy for WT racing…

As for the Hayden Wilde/Yee/Brownlee/McCullough crash, Pro Tri News on their Instagram have Hayden’s account of the crash: “So long story short, second lap out of T2 still carrying a lot of speed. I come out on the outside of Dylan he had a few people on his right. At this point Dylan and I were in line with each other. We both got out of the saddle, unfortunately then we touched elbows just slightly which led to Dylans’ front wheel to go a touch sideways, he went over the handlebars which then took out Jonny & Alex as followed my line up the hill. Never want this to happen in a race, especially to those two lads”.

Unfortunately I’ve experienced similar incidents in bike racing and it sometimes is not one person at fault, but several people doing reasonable actions at the same time, and as a result coming together. I also understand where those taken down as a result would be pissed too, since it’s something silly that has a major impact on your race, that you can’t control. I’ve seen fist fights between cyclists from these types of crashes in crits…

He went for a gap that wasn’t there and took riders out.

https://twitter.com/...QqvVwmck7PDs4-zuL2hQ

Brief, doesn’t really show too much detail but does show how hard they hit the deck. You can just see Wilde as he rides on.

Did McDowell get taken out in the Wilde accident?

Truthfully he isn’t an ideal leadoff either but he would have been fine. And Mac would be a great 3rd leg, especially if he is given a lead.

We’re not that far away from the Montreal sprint distance event and relay. I don’t see Flora Duffy on the list and Jessica Learmonth is still MIA so probably Cassandra Beaugrand will lead out the swim. I expect to see GTB, Sophie Coldwell, Taylor Knibb and perhaps Taylor Spivey work hard to drop C.B. and other clingers on. The hill on the course ought to provide a strong sorting filter for those who are bike fit enough. Will a fast of the front group gain enough time to overcome a fleet footed C.B.? Whatever the case, it ought to be another excellent race. On the men’s side I bet Alex Yee is itching to have another crack at the men’s field after the Leeds bike crash.

Hugh