Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…

We’re not that far away from the Montreal sprint distance event and relay. I don’t see Flora Duffy on the list and Jessica Learmonth is still MIA so probably Cassandra Beaugrand will lead out the swim. I expect to see GTB, Sophie Coldwell, Taylor Knibb and perhaps Taylor Spivey work hard to drop C.B. and other clingers on. The hill on the course ought to provide a strong sorting filter for those who are bike fit enough. Will a fast of the front group gain enough time to overcome a fleet footed C.B.? Whatever the case, it ought to be another excellent race. On the men’s side I bet Alex Yee is itching to have another crack at the men’s field after the Leeds bike crash.

Hugh

Duffy and Knibb aren’t on the start list.

We’re not that far away from the Montreal sprint distance event and relay. I don’t see Flora Duffy on the list and Jessica Learmonth is still MIA so probably Cassandra Beaugrand will lead out the swim. I expect to see GTB, Sophie Coldwell and Taylor Knibb and Taylor Spivey work hard to drop C.B. and other clingers on. The hill on the course ought to provide a strong sorting filter for those who are bike fit enough. Will a fast of the front group gain enough time to overcome a fleet footed C.B.? Whatever the case, it ought to be another excellent race. On the men’s side I bet Alex Yee is itching to have another crack at the men’s field after the Leeds bike crash.

Hugh

FYI: This race is an eliminator. I think it is fun to watch but the skillset is different so I’ll watch it and not think much of the results.

I am going with Potter and Wilde for the win.

We’re not that far away from the Montreal sprint distance event and relay. I don’t see Flora Duffy on the list and Jessica Learmonth is still MIA so probably Cassandra Beaugrand will lead out the swim. I expect to see GTB, Sophie Coldwell, Taylor Knibb and perhaps Taylor Spivey work hard to drop C.B. and other clingers on. The hill on the course ought to provide a strong sorting filter for those who are bike fit enough. Will a fast of the front group gain enough time to overcome a fleet footed C.B.? Whatever the case, it ought to be another excellent race. On the men’s side I bet Alex Yee is itching to have another crack at the men’s field after the Leeds bike crash.

Hugh

Yikes, I’d swear that Taylor was on there a few hours ago when I first checked but you’re right that she’s not on there now.

Hugh

Yikes, I’d swear that Taylor was one there a few hours ago when I first checked but you’re right that she’s not on there now.

Pretty sure you are correct as well. I checked in the morning and their names were on the list. I am not surprised about Duffy as she has a couple of races under her belt already, she is still recovering from Covid and has the Commonwealth Games to think about.

Any news on Knibb not racing? Maybe the eliminator format doesn’t suit her but a race close to home?

Hugh

Yikes, I’d swear that Taylor was one there a few hours ago when I first checked but you’re right that she’s not on there now.

Pretty sure you are correct as well. I checked in the morning and their names were on the list. I am not surprised about Duffy as she has a couple of races under her belt already, she is still recovering from Covid and has the Commonwealth Games to think about.

Any news on Knibb not racing? Maybe the eliminator format doesn’t suit her but a race close to home?

Perhaps she’s decided to race Mont Tremblant 70.3 this weekend ? I don’t see any clues on her social media pages.

Hugh

Perhaps she’s decided to race Mont Tremblant 70.3 this weekend ? I don’t see any clues on her social media pages.

I think I remember an article during the week saying Duffy was on both start lists and intended to race both. Might have been TRI247 but not sure.

I think the eliminator format suits her well so I am disappointed she isn’t there. But more importantly I am disappointed that she won’t be on the MTR.

She is a (much) better version of what Kanute was 6 years ago in the second leg. She can ride solo and have the best split in her group so she can get you back into the race.

I think the eliminator format suits her well so I am disappointed she isn’t there. But more importantly I am disappointed that she won’t be on the MTR.

She is a (much) better version of what Kanute was 6 years ago in the second leg. She can ride solo and have the best split in her group so she can get you back into the race.

No doubting she is a phenomenal athlete but I couldn’t see where she had the best split for her leg on a relay.

I think the US are going to have a very strong team come Paris 2024.

No doubting she is a phenomenal athlete but I couldn’t see where she had the best split for her leg on a relay.

I think the US are going to have a very strong team come Paris 2024.

I meant Best bike split. What I was saying is if she takes off 15 seconds back of the field, she can pull the team back on her own in the bike leg.

Hugh

I think I remember an article during the week saying Duffy was on both start lists and intended to race both. Might have been TRI247 but not sure.

Flora’s most recent twitter post confirms that she is doing just the Mont Tremblant 70.3. Perhaps Taylor Knibb is doing the same?

The heats are now duathlon due to sewerage in the water

More detail (heavy rain required sewage release into river to avoid city flooding):
https://tri-today.com/2022/06/fridays-wtcs-montreal-races-and-junior-world-championships-turn-into-duathlon-format/
They hope that the levels will have dropped by Saturday to allow those races to be triathlons.

More detail (heavy rain required sewage release into river to avoid city flooding):
https://tri-today.com/2022/06/fridays-wtcs-montreal-races-and-junior-world-championships-turn-into-duathlon-format/
They hope that the levels will have dropped by Saturday to allow those races to be triathlons.

Would be surprised if contamination levels can drop that quickly but it wouldn’t be the first time that the athletes have had to swim in levels unfit.

So general reply to the thread…the Montreal eliminator format is suppose to generate excitement for the ITU Triathlon TV experience. …I watched effing sailboats for close to half an hour between what ever it was they were saying was the “Finals” of the Montreal race…epic fail

I agree with Kingman…if ITU wants to do this, make it it’s own series. I want to see Olympic distance races, period.

Ok…holy fuck, didn’t realize there were 2 elimination races…nope, remove this format from my subscription. Give me some money back, or replace this format with some real races…just sayin’

Had no idea about Montreal until I seen athletes posting about the heats on social media, just caught up on the women’s…

Absolutely fascinating with arguably the 3 best women runners coming off the bike together, GTB has pretty much cemented her place as the number 1 women now and I can take personal satisfaction that I predicted this when she came onto the scene (its in this forum somewhere) another prediction of mine Beth Potter would break onto the scene at some point (I did a thread about her) think she’s got another couple of levels to go up.

Great race overall, I’d actually prefer them doing these than normal sprint distances which are always too short a race for me.

That Pederson looks like she’ll be doing some damage in a couple of years time (another prediction)

the person who is bragging about “predicting” GTB and Potter would be great is also the same person who is so out of touch with the sport he had no idea that there was not only a WTS race this weekend but a World Championship WTS race and age group World Championships? this reminds me of a stock analyst who makes horrific call after horrific call but finally gets one of his guesses right and then markets that he called a stock like Netflix.

i liked the change of pace with the super sprint eliminator format. i wouldn’t want every race to be like this but 1 a year is good for the sport. bring back kitzbuhel too.

Alberte Kjaer is a formidable triathlete. She and Emma Lombardi are the best new girls coming…Cassandre seems also that has got matured… I also like Laura Lindemann. So, these girls along with GTB and Flora seem to be aiming fine for Paris.
As for the boys, give Wilde a better swim and can be unbeatable, even facing Yee…and see what happens with Blum after Kona.
If i were Iden i would not go back to ITU, he has never excelled…

Guys… guys… you prefer watching a peloton roll around for 60 minutes?

Reply generally to the thread re: Montreal:

• the eliminator format was super exciting. I was out of breath just watching it at the end. Like others have said, I wouldn’t want WTS races to be all in this format, but mix this in with Sprint/Oly distances, I think it’s a great addition.
  • it’s kind of weird they had the Junior individual races but not for U23, and then mixed juniors and U23 for the mixed relay teams. So you have countries, e.g. the US, racing all juniors in the mixed relay because they didn’t have any U23 athletes racing there; while other, e.g. Canada, raced with U23 athletes because they are the host and the athletes were available. So it’s definitely not a level competition. Given the importance of mixed relay in the Olympics, I think it’s great that World Triathlon is having these events, but they should do it seriously.