NHL 2024-25 Season

Posting up to try the new forum interface, noting that we are 32 days out from the first puck drop, and mostly to pay my respects to Johnny Gaudreau and his brother Matthew.

1 Like

Every cyclist nightmare, efing drunk driver, RIP.
Leafs out in the first round, again…LOL

Leafs have been eliminated from Cup contention

I see the fan from Ottawa has chimed in.

Replying as a linked topic. Where is my Leaf fanboy anyway? MIA to his thread is not how you start the season.

Windy beat me to it.

I am still trying to get the hang of this new forum. Hey, it’s not broken but we’re going to fix it good.

Leafs did mostly nothing to improve in the off season. We have a young winger who is demanding a trade and won’t sign a contract. Let him rot or he can try to get some stupid team to give him an unreasonable offer sheet that the Leafs wouldn’t match. Good luck with that Nick.

Leon Draisaitl just signed an eight year extension with the Oilers, $14 million AAV. That’s a top-heavy salary structure, but the man was going to get paid.

Good thing they signed Drai, here’s Matthews and McDavid dining together recently in TO.

zmatthews

Could be, or maybe 97 is telling 34 what it’s like to play in the finals?

Edmonton had to sign him, and I wouldn’t call 14M a bargain or an overpayment… But they’re going to be screwed when that contract kicks in if Nurse is still on the roster with a 9.25M hit. Not to mention the eventual raises that McDavid and Bouchard will also get in the coming seasons.

If I’m an Edmonton fan I’m not sure I’m thrilled that Bowman is the one in charge trying to figure out that mess.

Nobody in Edmonton is happy with the Bowman hire, and this will continue as long as he’s there. Colossal ethical failures aside, I am not convinced he can find his ass with both hands.

At the risk of sounding insensitive at best and ghoulish at worst: what does Columbus do now about being below the salary floor? Most pricey unrestricted free agents have signed, so do they have to trade for LTIR contracts, or does the league grant them some kind of dispensation? I suspect the players’ association wants them to sign a player or two, right?

I think it’s fair to discuss the impact that his death has upon the organization. Obviously the impact on his family is far greater but we are discussing hockey here and Columbus is in a bind.

I suspect that the league will give them a break and let it slide for a certain amount of time. But as of right now, it’s not an issue as you don’t need to be cap compliant until the start of the season.

Nice to see they both dressed up.

Given the season starts in like a month what is the argument for them not being able to just pencil in his cap hit as if he were still there?

Asking them to sign and overpay for bad players or take on bad cap hits just to hit the floor over this seems unethical.

How do you know McDavid is not recruiting him to go out West?

They can take on expiring contracts for draft capital etc.

Because it’s Edmonton. Nobody chooses to live in Edmonton.

Draisaitl just chose to live in Edmonton for eight more years, not to mention all the UFAs the Oilers just signed. Seems like you are incorrect here.