NHL 2024-25 Season

Drai is German. He needs to be further north to feel normal.

But they need to be cap compliant to start the season, and pretty much everyone has their roster and cap situation sorted out at this point.

The only major moves like that being made arenā€™t going to happen until the TDL which doesnā€™t do them any good now.

Bumping forward this thread for two reasons

1. testing
  2. to ask if you or the western Canadians here had any insights on Stephen Peatā€™s tragic cycling accident and death.

Sad news about Stephen Peat. There is a news story here:

I am not sure if there was a cycling component-most of the reporting I have seen refers to him as a pedestrian.

Either way it is tragic, and apparently he had been struggling with CTE for some time. Fighting in hockey has to stop. There is no reason for young people to get brain damage for our entertainment.

thanks for the correction and link. I have to admit that I am entertained and these cases do cause me to feel less than good about that.

Sad story about Peat.

I purchased my ticket for opening night. Excited to see what Stamkos, Marchessault and Skjei bring to the Preds.

Crosby signs a 2 year extension with Pittsburgh forā€¦ 8.7M. Is there a more superstitious player in any league than him? His cap hit has been 8.7M every single season going back to the 2008-09 season. :joy:

Without digging into it his career earnings (not including endorsement deals) throughout his career have to be considered quite low relative to his performance.

Well to be fair he signed a fairly long term deal in 2013 and at the time $8.7 was big money. At this point in his career, heā€™s probably worth $8.7.

This wonā€™t make any difference but to me the money is staggering.

In 2012 Rogers Communications and Bell Canada (our two biggest telecoms) bought 75% of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment for $1.32 billion CAD. Roughly $650 million each. MLSE includes the Leafs, the Raptors, Toronto FC, Toronto Argonauts (CFL team) and the Toronto Marlies (AHL hockey team).

Today it was announced that Bell Canada sold their share of MLSE to Rogers for $4.7 billion CAD.

So Rogers, who owns 100% of the Toronto Blue Jays, now owns 75% of the Leafs and Raptors as well.

Bruins GM does not sound optimistic about getting Swayman under contract by the start of the season.

https://x.com/friedgehnic/status/1836440786843636060?s=46&t=_DqV6nxOSePsSnKig4JMgw

Boston GM Don Sweeney said today that heā€™s disappointed not to have a contract done with Jeremy Swayman ā€” but is optimistic they will find a landing spot (with the Bruins) by December 1.

That is the deadline for Swayman to sign a contract for the 2024-25 season.

werenā€™t they playing # 1 and 1A goalies last year? If so, no big.

Reports on TJ Oshie are he wonā€™t make the start of the season. His back has not come around. Iā€™m guessing he may have played his last NHL game.