New Wyn Republic CDA Suit

Been a long time fan of Wyn and their product quality. Currently use the LUCEO + tri suit. Today they launched their new CDA suit which has me curious. Based on their wind tunnel testing, 2 of their pro athletes saw a 20+ watt gain when pair with the new aero calf sleeves. https://wynrepublic.com/pages/cda-you-vs-you

Am I the only one sitting here scratching their heads when looking at these numbers? If these numbers are real, is it worth the price tag? $699 for a suit and $99 for the calf sleeves is a lot, but gaining 20 watts for a 70.3 or full is also insane.

With all that being said, what are everyone else’s thoughts?

Would love to hear from Jim at ERO as it looks like he ran the tests with Sam Appleton.

Seems too good to be true

I wore their high velocity tri suit at my first 70.3 this year and I liked it overall. Only thing I didn’t like is I got a nasty “rash” on the back of my legs that actually scabbed a few days after the race and the little rubber grippers in the sleeves were a little annoying. But…I wore the suit again this past weekend for a big training day and this time I applied body glide to those areas and had zero issues. I do like the Wyn better than my Zoot tri suit…

I am willing to give this a try.

I think this just re-emphasizes the point that the only way you will know if it’s faster for you and by how much, is to go test yourself.

Been a long time fan of Wyn and their product quality. Currently use the LUCEO + tri suit. Today they launched their new CDA suit which has me curious. Based on their wind tunnel testing, 2 of their pro athletes saw a 20+ watt gain when pair with the new aero calf sleeves. https://wynrepublic.com/pages/cda-you-vs-you

Am I the only one sitting here scratching their heads when looking at these numbers? If these numbers are real, is it worth the price tag? $699 for a suit and $99 for the calf sleeves is a lot, but gaining 20 watts for a 70.3 or full is also insane.

Would love to hear from Jim at ERO as it looks like he ran the tests with Sam Appleton.

I can tell you from testing calf sleeves from 10+ manufactueres it’s a roll of the dice. I’ve seen them do better, worse, the same as others and no sleeves.

As to the suits, potentially it’s faster. It looks well done, but all suits are a YMMV type of thing especially compared to other suits

24w at 50kph and 5 degrees of yaw. That seems reasonable to me. looking at somewhere around 7-10w at 40kph. Also testing against their own suit, which may not be the best in class.

Yeah no way I’m spending that much on a piece of fabric that I’ll probably rip or screw up in the first race.

Yeah no way I’m spending that much on a piece of fabric that I’ll probably rip or screw up in the first race.

And the really fun part is that it might not actually be faster than what you already own… Or it may be. You never know without testing it.

Recently working with a person at the wind tunnel and they brought in about $1500 worth of suits and their original Velotec $100 suit was fastest…

And the really fun part is that it might not actually be faster than what you already own… Or it may be. You never know without testing it.

Recently working with a person at the wind tunnel and they brought in about $1500 worth of suits and their original Velotec $100 suit was fastest…

Yeah. I think us age groupers need to just sack up and pedal harder. Worrying about these expensive marginal gains is a sure fire way to take the fun out of the sport IMO. Keep in mind, very few of us are holding the ideal aero position for a full 112 miles so… IS IT REALLY WORTH IT?

Yeah. I think us age groupers need to just sack up and pedal harder. Worrying about these expensive marginal gains is a sure fire way to take the fun out of the sport IMO. Keep in mind, very few of us are holding the ideal aero position for a full 112 miles so… IS IT REALLY WORTH IT?

It can be depending on what you want to achieve. Bit randomly buying stuff because of a white paper or marketing is probably not the way to go.

IMO ROI goes like this:
Coaching
Bike Fit
Tires
Aero testing

1 Like

I appreciate you guys saving this fool from parting with his money so quickly.

What would be a really good marketing point from these companies is if they actually grabbed 10 age groupers of various sizes and fits, and tested their current suit, whatever it is, and then tested the new suit and post the difference. The point still stands about whether they can hold the optimized position that the suit is dialed in for, but it would at least provide some better data rather than cherry picked sponsored pros.

They’re using a fabric that many will switch to for 2025. Not UCI legal, but no matter. It’s very fast having tested it from several manufacturers now. It comes down to fit for how much it might save you. Get used to the pricing - it’s difficult fabric to work with. I would suggest you refrain from sublimating it around the shoulders and side panels.

What would be a really good marketing point from these companies is if they actually grabbed 10 age groupers of various sizes and fits, and tested their current suit, whatever it is, and then tested the new suit and post the difference. The point still stands about whether they can hold the optimized position that the suit is dialed in for, but it would at least provide some better data rather than cherry picked sponsored pros.

Appreciate the fool remark. None the less, I was simply trying to start a discussion with those in the know about the data published and if they’d believe that it would translate to more of the population than just the top level pros. Plenty of people, especially here, roll up to races with kits looking professional. For those folks, I think they’d happily pay the price for a few watt gain.

They’re using a fabric that many will switch to for 2025. Not UCI legal, but no matter. It’s very fast having tested it from several manufacturers now. It comes down to fit for how much it might save you. Get used to the pricing - it’s difficult fabric to work with. I would suggest you refrain from sublimating it around the shoulders and side panels.

Thank you for the reply, Jim. I was looking forward to hearing your remarks. I figured with Surpas and now Wyn being in this price bracket that it might become the new norm moving forward. Curious when Ryzon and Fusion will follow suit. Saw Sam Long post today that he’s testing a new Zoom suit that’s supposedly faster. Based on what your saying, it’ll likely be the same material and the new Wyn.

The Triathlon Hour had a link int heir IG stories to 15% off the new suit. It might be the deal they already have with Wyn for marketing on the podcast. A decent saving really.

Thank you for the reply, Jim. I was looking forward to hearing your remarks. I figured with Surpas and now Wyn being in this price bracket that it might become the new norm moving forward. Curious when Ryzon and Fusion will follow suit. Saw Sam Long post today that he’s testing a new Zoom suit that’s supposedly faster. Based on what your saying, it’ll likely be the same material and the new Wyn.

well for sodaro the suit does not offer too much improvement about 80 seconds at an ironman which likely is closer to 60 sec real world .
also while i have no idea how this material tests its entirely possible that for the people that go bellow 40 k an hours cheaper material could be as fast or faster.
somebody mentioned velotec suit that often tests well with the bellow 40 kmh an hour folks and one would not be surprised that for a lot of people a suit at roughly a third of the price could be as fast or faster.

this comes with somebody that last week has spend hours and hours wet suit testing with an athlete and the fastest wet-suit was a suit from 2016 … after adjusting the leg length a few times which achieved what we were looking for the swim, but also 9 out of 10 times will speed up transition times by 2 to 4 seconds.

meaning a older tech cheaper suit tailored to needs can be faster than stock expensive stuff.

Zoot/Castelli is using a similar, but different material. They have some interesting iterations.

Keep in mind, these outrageous prices only become the new norm if people agree to buy them… I on the other hand will be looking into the velotec recommendation. Under $200 seems appropriate for a tri kit. Especially when we have zero idea what will be fastest on an individual/position without aero testing. I’d rather have $$ towards a new road bike than possibly save 60 seconds on the bike leg when I’m gonna waste 4 minutes pooping on the run anyways. But to each their own! It’s all funny money anyways I suppose…

1 Like

Keep in mind, these outrageous prices only become the new norm if people agree to buy them… I on the other hand will be looking into the velotec recommendation. Under $200 seems appropriate for a tri kit. Especially when we have zero idea what will be fastest on an individual/position without aero testing. I’d rather have $$ towards a new road bike than possibly save 60 seconds on the bike leg when I’m gonna waste 4 minutes pooping on the run anyways. But to each their own! It’s all funny money anyways I suppose…

Appreciate the fool remark. None the less, I was simply trying to start a discussion with those in the know about the data published and if they’d believe that it would translate to more of the population than just the top level pros. Plenty of people, especially here, roll up to races with kits looking professional. For those folks, I think they’d happily pay the price for a few watt gain.

My sincere apologies. I wasn’t calling you “this fool”, but referring to myself! I was almost tempted by all that marketing despite having plenty of what I need (other than more brains and less disposable money).