New Trek Speed Concept

Im curious how much if any faster is it. Also the lack of integrated front end hydration is a big down side for me. It’s currently looking like I won’t replace my current speed concept with this unless the drag numbers are crazy good somehow, and it doesn’t seem like they will be as they did nothing new and radical with this bike

You will be disappointed Steve. The SLR (non-uci) version has a max tire width of 25 mm (officially). The front has proprietary mount for mounting regular bottle cages to. Also, the aero bar extensions are polygon shaped into the insertion bracket so standard extensions might not work.

That doesn’t really disappoint me honestly. Where I live, I don’t need anything larger than a 25mm (and I typically run 23 mm even in training) but understand where others may want 28 or 30 mm. I’d be shocked if you couldn’t actually fit a 28 mm on the bike (regardless of what Trek says). I’m perfectly fine with a regular bottle bta but it does appear there is a proprietary aero bottle that is integrated into the front end. Will be interesting to see more details of that once it comes out and if there is any benefit vs a regular round bta bottle.

I’m not expecting a big improvement over the existing bike. I don’t consider this an “upgrade” for me. Though the new bike appears to clean up my IM nutrition/hydration strategy a bit. At the end of the day, I just need a new bike. My existing SC has little life left in it (and shiny new things are fun).

Just one anecdotal data point. On my 2019 Speed Concept I run 28mm Continental GP5000 tires. So, they fit on the current model regardless of what Trek says for that one.

Hey Steve, Can you tell me how the new one has an integrated BTA system where the other one doesn’t
To me it looks more or less the same as the rim version

There is a cutout on the aero frame bottle holder/cage that allows you access the flat storage without removing the cage/holder. You just have to take off the bottle itself. If you want to just run a regular bottle/cage, it mounts above the flat storage higher up on the downtube so you can still access the storage.

As far as upgrades, there isn’t a massive improvement. The existing SC is a fantastic bike and got a lot of things right when it was introduced many years ago. I do see a few improvements though with the new bike:

• T47 BB
  • larger/integrated top tube storage
  • ability to run 28mm + tires (debatable if this is an improvement as it’s individual)
  • integrated bta hydration

It isn’t a standard cage that mounts the proprietary aero bottle. The custom cage/holder is built into the front end and integrates neatly with the cockpit/bars. It does look like you have the option to run a standard cage and bottle like a few pros have done.

Just one anecdotal data point. On my 2019 Speed Concept I run 28mm Continental GP5000 tires. So, they fit on the current model regardless of what Trek says for that one.

What wheels are they mounted on?

The Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5 TLR wheels. The rear one will lightly rub on the speed fin when I stand and really hammer the pedals (so almost never) simply because the speed fin is not molded straight so I do not worry about it since it also is only contacting at the very bottom corner of the speed fin and not causing any damage or real friction.

The 28’s are so cushy on the roads around me I even started racing on the 28 in the rear and use a 25 for the front for races.

I just received an invite to an event at my fit studio that does a ton of work with Trek. Here’s some of the description:

"We are hosting a very special Triathlon event in conjunction with Trek Bicycles with a few very special guests. Join Trek’s engineering team, Holly Lawrence, Tim O’Donnell, Rinny, and Ben Kanute at 7.30pm on Thursday, November 18th for a special event.

This will be the very first official public appearance of a new Trek Triathlon product. Trust us… You do not want to miss out!"

Looks like we have just a few weeks left to wait.

What studio/shop is this?

Cyclologic in Scottsdale, AZ. There’s no hints that it’s actually the bike, but this seems like a good time to unveil it with IMAZ that weekend as well.

What wheels are they mounted on?

I run the same tire on Jet 6+. The tightest clearence point is the SpeedFin.

Event link is live. I confirmed It’s the new SC, like
What else would it be. Lol

I confirmed that it’s the brand new WaveCel triathlon helmet.

The staff at the local Trek store said to expect an announcement regarding the new Speed Concept in two weeks.

LOL it was supposed to happen in Oct. We we will see. The new SC is one of the worst kept secrets.

The part I’m most interested to see are fit and price. Those are the two secrets that seem to remain. Will this be as adjustable as the previous generation? Will we be able to buy an electronic shifting bike with “race” wheels (Aeolus 5 or equivalent) for $7500 or less? I guess another one is that the tri version will have front isospeed, but that isn’t obvious from the pictures that have been around.

The more important question is how much faster than the current speed concept is it? If it’s not much faster buying the much cheaper current speed concept makes more sense

grabbing some pics from social media, we can see the width of the headtube and the isospeed without the cover

Screenshot 2021-11-09 195357.png
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-03 at 3.09.49 PM.jpeg

That’s a chonky head tube. Totally different than the ultra narrow head tube on the new factor bike