Kristian to pro cycling?

ok i rephrase
what will last longer gwens olympic champs goal campain a few years ago or christian s yellow jersey journey .
i think they have about the same chance of success with the first 1 somwhere 4 digits after the first 0 …

i mean it is clear the short course career of the norwegian method is over now, but i really would love them to stay in triathlon . just a bit less bs science. and snake oil marketing.

in a way it was such a great story from no real tri programe in 2011 to the the first nation to have a 1 2 3 male podium at a world sereis race sometimes 2019 i think,

When did Bu takeover form KB’s program from Arild? I think if you look at the actual performances, Bu was probably at his best relative to competition for the Tokyo Olympics, has been slowly losing ground since.

The parallels with the Gwen situation are strong, though Gwen was much more dominant when she left and she showed evidence that she could be a competent pro runner (the idea of winning an olympic marathon probably marginally less audacious than the idea of KB winning the TDF). This experiment will likely end similarly . . . KB coming back to Tri after several years and being far behind, no longer competitive against the top guys.

of memory, olaf joined the norwegin fed as a sport scientist around 2016,17 i would assume it was part time or consulting. but arild was head coach till end 2021 after which olaf took over the coaching of gustav and christian , and then they split off the fed around mid 2022 . take al this with a grain of salt but roughly it should be correct.
btw i dont think kb has lost ground he did rather well long course. and it was clear in tokio he would have no chance against the young guns that yee and wild where that were still developing. kb is still the most versatile male athelte in 2024 he is the only one that can go from sprint to ironman.

You are right, I had a faint memory that that happened at some race and was fooled by Chat GPT. So I stand corrected. When I have time I will check if that happened at any race, because Chat GPT is really bad at that. It kept changing races and repeating itself…

Is it too early to start a thread how Norway should select him for the 2032 Olympics triathlon team based on his cycling speed?

Pretty sure American women have swept the podium before too.

His highest WTS placing this year is 10th. I disagree that he can go from sprint to Ironman in the sense that he’d actually be competitive in a sprint tri, or even a standard distance tri.

Pretty sure American women have swept the podium before too.

If kris gemmell was in Athens, nz might have swept Olympics podium for men.

I think a better comparison would be Tokyo, as it was hot and humid too. Kristian ran 29:34 over Yee’s 29:44 so it is safe to say that Blu has slowed down a bit. Maybe too much LC racing.

The whole Norwegian method has been hot over the last few years but I don’t see anything innovative. Marketing wise, they played it well: the guy won Olympic gold at the peak of his career, then switched off to mid/LC racing, smashed a ton of second tier athletes but allowed him to market himself to a wider fan base.

i’ve said this before, but what is the norwegian method exactly?
-they’ve broken gustav
-kristian had a tremendous run of form for a couple of years
-kaspar and vetle had some glimpses but never really punched through
-their women’s team hasn’t really materialized

i think at least for age-group athletes, we should all be learning more about the “loughborogh method” or the “uk method.” whatever it is that people like kat, ruth, and fenella are doing to go from age-groupers to IM winners is way more relevant to us! if the norwegian method is based around starting young, specializing, doing massive volume, coming from a super-rich country with a sport heritage, and spending a lot of time in university-caliber laboratories . . . well, it ain’t going to be accessible to most of us.

If Blu loose weight (which certainly he CAN) - maybe drop to 70 kg(?) and FTP over 500, why not be competitive in a Grand Tour?

Hysterical.

Nope, Gomez, Mola and Alarza went 1, 2, 3 at Yokohama in 2016. The Norwegians did the same at Bermuda in 2018. Not sure if the Brits, French or others have also achieved that feat.

The 3 Aussie Emma’s went 1-2-3 at Hamburg but I don’t remember GBR going 1-2-3 at top tier. I might be wrong though.

I actually thought when the Norwegians did it in bermuda it was the 1st time had happened in the male events. But in all seriousness, ask any other athlete racing and they didn’t bother to chase down as until then they hadn’t performed in the run. They were all caught by surprise.

i’ve said this before, but what is the norwegian method exactly?
-they’ve broken gustav
-kristian had a tremendous run of form for a couple of years
-kaspar and vetle had some glimpses but never really punched through
-their women’s team hasn’t really materialized

i think at least for age-group athletes, we should all be learning more about the “loughborogh method” or the “uk method.” whatever it is that people like kat, ruth, and fenella are doing to go from age-groupers to IM winners is way more relevant to us! if the norwegian method is based around starting young, specializing, doing massive volume, coming from a super-rich country with a sport heritage, and spending a lot of time in university-caliber laboratories . . . well, it ain’t going to be accessible to most of us.

Not a fair comparison. Norway is a country of 5.5 million with long and wicked snowy winters and no public funding for the national federation (they live off sponsors). Britain has over 10 times as many people and British Triathlon has a $14m budget (not far from USAT’s $18m). I also imagine the flow of post-junior talent from cross-country skiing to triathlon in Norway is not nearly what Britain gets from running and swimming.

That being said, the Norwegian method is as overhyped as they get. Or was.

You are right, I had a faint memory that that happened at some race and was fooled by Chat GPT. So I stand corrected. When I have time I will check if that happened at any race, because Chat GPT is really bad at that. It kept changing races and repeating itself…

of course you can check but i am 99 .99 percent sure they where the first males that did the podium sweep

Nope, Gomez, Mola and Alarza went 1, 2, 3 at Yokohama in 2016. The Norwegians did the same at Bermuda in 2018. Not sure if the Brits, French or others have also achieved that feat.

The 3 Aussie Emma’s went 1-2-3 at Hamburg but I don’t remember GBR going 1-2-3 at top tier. I might be wrong though.

check for the word male in my post

in a way it was such a great story from no real tri programe in 2011 to the the first nation to have a 1 2 3 male podium at a world sereis race sometimes 2019 i think,

Well if you don’t like our Aussie girls I present you with our Aussie boys sweeping the podium at an ITU World Championship
…and you people call yourselves fans of the sport…Phffft…

https://youtu.be/j_DgG0bwQjA?si=zMl5PfCto_yhOeqs

It says bus stop but they drive past!

Can someone explain to me how Kristian would make it in pro cycling. Caveat I know nothing about the technical aspects of cycling except the T de F come through our area every 3 or so years.

He has the build of a sprinter but says he sees himself as a GC rider targeting winning the T de F. All of the climbers are very slender. Could he change his composition that much?

I think he was replying to me, and I was wondering if there where other instances, so his reply makes sense. The error is in my post.

of course you can check but i am 99 .99 percent sure they where the first males that did the podium sweep

this is becoming an interesting trivia question for me. maybe i’ll do the donkeywork later to research this.

how far back do we go? when i was a kid in the 90s, i have to imagine australian men or women could have swept some world cup podiums: bennet, bevan, stewart, macca, robbo, hill, etc, then the emmas, erin densham, lorretta, nicole, etc. and then similarly the american women during that period - barb, shiela, laura, etc.

oh man, this is kind of interesting!

Can someone explain to me how Kristian would make it in pro cycling. Caveat I know nothing about the technical aspects of cycling except the T de F come through our area every 3 or so years.

He has the build of a sprinter but says he sees himself as a GC rider targeting winning the T de F. All of the climbers are very slender. Could he change his composition that much?

The general consensus is that he won’t, and it is as hubristic as Gwen saying she would be targeting Olympic gold in the marathon

Well if you don’t like our Aussie girls I present you with our Aussie boys sweeping the podium at an ITU World Championship

…and you people call yourselves fans of the sport…Phffft…

https://youtu.be/…?si=zMl5PfCto_yhOeqs

first  **male  world  series  race podium**  clean  sweap  .....

or in real world performance the australien males have 0 olympic medals in triathlon.

never mind that, let’s all spare a thought for a time when the blue jays could hold the red sox to 6-7 at fenway with clemmens on the mound. that’s a universe away.

anyway, what became of that luc van lierde chap? he ever amount to anything?