Johnny Gaudreau and his brother killed while cycling

Johnny Gaudreau of the Columbus Blue Jackets and his younger brother Matthew were killed by an allegedly drunk driver while cycling in NJ last night. Johnny was 31 and his brother was 29, and they were supposed to be groomsmen in their sister’s wedding today. The driver admitted to having several drinks and failed a field sobriety test.

Just read this on my newsfeed! That’s terriible! Condolences to his family and friends. And I hope they throw the perp in prison for a really long time!

Spoke with Johnny a few times when he played in Calgary, and he was always gracious and positive. Hope they throw the book at this drunk driver.

1 Like

So sad. Drunk guy decides to pass the in front oh him on the right

Truly a horrible and preventable loss. It’s 2024, and with as many people that are killed by drunk drivers it should be mandatory all new vehicles have breathalyzers to greatly decrease such deaths.

I would also love to see Lebron James speak up on cycling deaths since he is a cyclist and investor/owner in Canyon.

I heard this news this morning. My two favourite sports intersecting in a sickening way.
I remember watching Johnny Hockey a lot while he was in Calgary - late game Saturday nights on HNIC.
For a few years there, he was magic.
My goodness, the brothers were there to attend the wedding of their sister in a couple days.

Sad news indeed. Heard it on the radio and hit a bit close than usual.

Kiddo did a weeklong summer hockey camp during his HS/travel hockey days and Gaudreau, w/Calgary at the time, was one of the coaches.

That is so sad. The sister lost her two brothers just before her wedding to a drunk driver. Alcohol + vehicles are just such a horrible combo. No words for this.

I find it strange that this biker/car death story is the first I can remember to make almost all of the major news networks and yet it has gotten little attention here on ST. I have to assume its due to the viewership being down due to the new forum layout.

Seems more interest if we actually knew they were on Road Bikes. Based on rural rd and this graphic I would assume so. At 815 to 830pm when this happened it would be dark. I haven’t seen any articles mention if they had lights, a lot of unknowns.

1 Like

I don’t believe it matters what type of bike they ride to discuss this tragedy. Thanks for posting the graphic. I hadn’t seen it. Based upon it I don’t think a Varia, mirror, or bright clothing would have made any difference in this scenario.

The NEXT day - they were killed Thursday, the wedding was to be Friday

Living in South Jersey, the local news got lit up about it “The South Jersey hockey community mourns…” “South Jersey loses a star athlete”

Um, I never heard of him - the Flyers are so bad, I don’t think anyone around here even follows NHL anymore

I could be wrong

Cyclists get killed by cars in Philly pretty often
Cyclists get killed by drunk drivers across the country pretty often

Usually, nothing much happens

One could also say “Oh yeah - kids get shot up in schools, pretty often; usually, nothing much happens” but I won’t

I dont think so either so agree with you, but if it’s people on a beach cruiser riding recklessly across a road it likely wouldn’t get posted here, same for motorcycles which just today CNN was stating he was on (error on their part) There seems to be no reference to why they were riding at night and also looks like it was raining. I myself have been caught in rain and dark due to flat tires I couldn’t change in time or mechanicals. Just wonder why the whole story isn’t out there yet. I’m really sad about this though and agree lights wouldn’t have helped here.

Knowing exactly where they were, and factoring in the night before wedding (so likely rehearsal dinner)…

They were almost certainly on beach/townie bikes. Very likely they had a cocktail (apologize as this is pure speculation, but educated guess) and were trying to be responsible and not drive. So found themselves in wrong place in exact wrong time. Terribly tragic, because within right to be in bike lane and F’ing Drunk Driver! But sad for anyone to have made a momentary decision that ended up putting them in harms way.

Interesting hypothesis. If so maybe no helmet. That graphic above shows guys in helmets but nobody has said whether they had one on. I agree lights wouldn’t have helped here but helmets might have.

I’m not a hockey guy so didn’t know of him before.
Went and found highlights of his play - this is from a year or so ago. I love watching players like him, little guys who use their quickness and their smarts.

1 Like

I cannot believe the BS regarding this tragedy on this thread. Who the f&*k cares what type of bikes they were riding? The SUV moved out of their lane to provide room for the cyclists (which means they knew that the cyclists were there), and some effin’ alcohol induced moron swerves to the right and hits these two VRUs (vulnerable road users). Could you imagine if their sister read through this thread? Y’all are a bunch of insensitive people! As a victim of a hit and run driver while riding, I am incensed by some of the responses here. I hope this never happens to you and your loved ones sign in to this forum wondering what it’s all about and they find a thread with your story and insensitive comments like are written here.

I hope this moron never sees the light of day except from behind a prison wall.

Rant over…feel free to criticize me all you’d like. I’m thick skinned cuz I’m still alive but never riding on city roads again because of what happened to me.

5 Likes

I will presume you were speaking to me, since I was the one who opined on it a bit.

I agree, it doesn’t really matter what bike they were on. They were murdered by a Drunk Driver, and I did point that out. Full stop.

My commentary, which is part of what we call “a discussion” was that knowing that rural road well, and the late evening hours in the rain, it was not ideal to be on the road at that time. My thought on this makes it no less tragic.

And I will apologize if my speculation was unnecessary. I mentioned it as an exercise for myself. Because I fear major injury or the end of my life every time I road ride. I continue to hope that reality is unlikely, but the risk is not zero. So every few months or so, a thread pops up here with someone that could easily be me. Riding at the low risk times, with as many precautions as possible. In this circumstance, I looked for variability that I can use to continue to rationalize why I continue to go out.

It is not a slight against the Gaudreau brothers or their family who suffered unbearable loss that they will all never recover from.

3 Likes

I live in Columbus and listen most days to the sports talk shows on the station that carries the CBJ games. It was a bit hard for me to hear the hosts on the morning shows memorializing the Gaudreaus the morning after it happened after regularly for multiple years hearing those hosts talk about the drinking they do, with “overserved” a word I’ve heard more than once or twice. As they talked about the deaths of the brothers live on youtube a bucket of Coors Light on ice sat between them. Yes, I know most can handle their alcohol but it wasn’t a good look that morning.

Agree that it would be greatly appreciated if the power brokers and the influencers who have taken up cycling since it became the new golf would be more vocal regarding promoting safety for cyclists and pedestrians.

2 Likes

[quote=“WannaB, post:18, topic:1044140”]
I fear major injury or the end of my life every time I road ride. I continue to hope that reality is unlikely, but the risk is not zero. So every few months or so, a thread pops up here with someone that could easily be me. Riding at the low risk times, with as many precautions as possible. In this circumstance, I looked for variability that I can use to continue to rationalize why I continue to go out.[/quote]
I could have written this same thing.