Ironman Chattanooga bike course (1)

What’s the story on the Ironman Chattanooga bike course and Walker county Georgia and a contract?

It sounds like the contract is up and Walker county may not be interested and something about a three loop out and back course on a highway? From what I can tell, there was a five year agreement as of 2019 but did that end after the 70.3 or does it end after the 144.6?

From what I’ve read online, nothing is set in stone yet, but there are a lot of rumblings.

No idea about the course. But I hope it is not 116!

No idea about the course. But I hope it is not 116!

LOL! Chattanooga is surrounded by mountains. Be careful what you wish for ;-).

Seriously, though, it would be really sad to register for the #3 rated bike course in North America to ???

If 2019 was the first year, and the grants continued through COVID, 2023 would have been the last. https://endurance.biz/...lker-county-georgia/

updated to add: FWIW check out the bottom of pg 4 and the top of pg 5 of the minutes from Walker County’s June County Commissioner’s meeting.
Scott McNabb said he attended the FY2025 Budget Work Session on June 3, 2024. He said
there were presentations missing from the civic center and transportation department. He
expressed concerns with the lronman agreement for funding for fire hydrants. He said he has
requested information on this agreement for many years. He said he was provided with details of
the fire hydrant purchases from the Water Authority. He said he is concerned with the lronman
event not fulfilling its obligation. He said they have $35,000.00 that has not been paid. He also
expressed concerns with the Hinkle Fire Station being remodeled for use as a fire station and
community center. He said there has been back and forth on the engineer’s drawings and he
would like to see action taken to get the building fixed.

From what I’ve read online, nothing is set in stone yet, but there are a lot of rumblings.

Wait, wut? They are talking about changing the course yet this year? Oh dang that’d be lame. (I like that course and am racing)

Ya 3 round trips on the highway sounds like fun! /pink

Wait, wut? They are talking about changing the course yet this year? Oh dang that’d be lame. (I like that course and am racing)

It would really suck to change the bike course this year considering it’s the 10 year anniversary of the start of IMCHOO.

Plus, if they do change the course this late in the game, no one has a chance to ride it and become familiar

I’m getting on the CHOO CHOO train for the first time this year. How is the road quality?

I’m getting on the CHOO CHOO train for the first time this year. How is the road quality?

It’s terrible getting out of town, but great roads once on the main highway and loop.

Seriously, rubber band your bottles for the first 10 miles.

It would really suck to change the bike course this year considering it’s the 10 year anniversary of the start of IMCHOO.

Plus, if they do change the course this late in the game, no one has a chance to ride it and become familiar

This thread made me do something I detest, which is to log onto Facebook so I could check the Ironman Chattanooga group. Someone there is claiming to have called the Walker County sheriff’s office and gotten confirmation the race will not be entering GA. The rumors on the group is that it’ll be loops of ‘Highway’ 27, but ‘Highway’ 27 appears to be a six lane freeway that no one could ride in any case. Basically like IMTX if the rumors prove true. I’m trying to look on the bright side that it likely means a 112 mile bike?!

From what I’ve read online, nothing is set in stone yet, but there are a lot of rumblings. I don’t believe anything online anymore.

I don’t believe anything online anymore.

Except on Slowtwitch of course.

But look, this year will be a one off. You’ll have memories of "that one year that Chatt changed the bike course to 5 loops of the run course, yep, I raced that year." I think those one off races are pretty neat to be part of.

This thread made me do something I detest, which is to log onto Facebook so I could check the Ironman Chattanooga group. Someone there is claiming to have called the Walker County sheriff’s office and gotten confirmation the race will not be entering GA. The rumors on the group is that it’ll be loops of ‘Highway’ 27, but ‘Highway’ 27 appears to be a six lane freeway that no one could ride in any case. Basically like IMTX if the rumors prove true. I’m trying to look on the bright side that it likely means a 112 mile bike?!

Not sure if they still do it, because it’s been about ten years since I raced it, but the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri used that highway for their bike course. So, it is possible, but 112 miles vs 25 miles is a different burden. Personally, I’d hate that. I always enjoyed the current IMCHOO bike course when I’ve raced it in the past

Not sure if they still do it, because it’s been about ten years since I raced it,** but the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri used that highway for their bike course.** So, it is possible, but 112 miles vs 25 miles is a different burden. Personally, I’d hate that. I always enjoyed the current IMCHOO bike course when I’ve raced it in the past

Chatt Waterfront hasn’t used 27 for a while. I raced it the year they used 27 while they were building the bridge. It was a mess. They now go out 58 (Amnicola Hwy) for two loops.

Not sure if they still do it, because it’s been about ten years since I raced it,** but the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri used that highway for their bike course.** So, it is possible, but 112 miles vs 25 miles is a different burden. Personally, I’d hate that. I always enjoyed the current IMCHOO bike course when I’ve raced it in the past

Chatt Waterfront hasn’t used 27 for a while. I raced it the year they used 27 while they were building the bridge. It was a mess. They now go out 58 (Amnicola Hwy) for two loops.

Thanks for the clarification. It’s been a long time since I’ve done that race so I could not recall exactly

Really hoping the bike course is not changing. I already built a BBS power plan for it!

I was convinced it was all BS, so I went down there this weekend to ride the course (which was amazing). Locals said that there is a dispute over money that Ironman has not made good on with the grant in the referenced article and it has to do with the covid year when there was not a race held. IM withheld that payment.

Today the bike course image has been removed from the Ironman site and there are a few spots on the website where they reference it as a 140.6 not 144.6. (still some places say 116 mile bike ride though).

The rumored highway course has 8K of elevation gain which is about double the original course. I’m fine and ready for anything. I look at it with the idea that we all have to do it and while its unlikely that I’ll get the aggressive time goal, who cares, AG place matters more anyway. I’m not convinced that will be the actual course though. Thats a rough change for people 30 days out who have not trained for that.

My only concerns are:

Tri bike or road bike?
Descending fast on a 3 loop course around people who dont know how to descend fast and/or hold a line.

Yeah I’m pretty bummed about this change that seems more and more likely based on some things on the website. If it does involve double the elevation that’s a pretty crappy move by IM in my opinion. I can’t believe they would fundamentally change things this late in the game.

There are barely any turns on the original course. One 90 degree right turn.

Not sure if we have to make a hard turn at the bottom of the highway loop and or how fast we’d be going, but that seems like it would be more problematic than anything I experienced riding the original course.