Ironman Canada Race Day Thread - Lionel on deck

Looks like the lake had a massive temp inverson and is down to 13C and they shortened swim for everyone to 900m. It is also first pro qualifier for world’s next year. Race start moved out by 1 hrs too (air temp just around 10C).

Easy,no swim training brick for Lionel

Easy,no swim training brick for Lionel

Lionel better go sub 7 now!!!

Ironman on FB says swim has been cancelled?

Ironman on FB says swim has been cancelled?

Yeah, it just got cancelled. I guess they can’t wait all day for air to warmup. TriBC has a minimum water temp plus air temp combo and it is only 11C air temp with 13C water. Crazy Lake temp inversion as I swam 30 min on Friday in the lake with no wetsuit at all and only had a mild chill at the end (it was 20 or 21)

So Lionel and crew get a brick training day for Kona.

I guess he could win by miles and find a way to consider it “not really a confidence booster” now!

Feel bad for all the participants.

I saw his Instagram post wearing a big jacket there. It’s good for him swim is canceled. He needs to bring some dough home and see what he can do in duathlon. It’s just bike and run but I’m sure it will somewhat contribute to his confidence if he wins and helps with dialing in his nutrition. Hopefully, he wins.

Is the tracker working for you guys? I can’t seem to track the pro field.

I think it’s showing now

Too bad to hear this is a duathlon

side note:

god damn, is there a chance mel mcquaid qualifies for kona again? go mel!

100K prize purse. Easy pay day.

How does the tracking on the app work? Is it already taking into account the time they started?

This turned out to be an A+ move from Lionel. Should be able to take some money home and gets to work on nutrition during the run.

This turned out to be an A+ move from Lionel. Should be able to take some money home and gets to work on nutrition during the run.

gotta be lonely out there for the pros. everyone separated by big chunks of time and not much passing going on.

And get his Nice slot

Correct, race started later with rolling start at bike out!

were they heading out at 5 second intervals, or . . .?

Won’t really give him that much feedback. Conditions are so different to Kona. Sweat rate will be super low, hydration won’t be as important and he gets to skip 50min(ish) of hard work in the swim portion.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he comes out of this race with nothing more than a quick port-a-potty stop on the run and can just jog it in.

were they heading out at 5 second intervals, or . . .?

My understanding is they started in race number order…with 5 second gaps.
And the tracker is reporting each athletes actual time to that spot.
So position on the road may be a bit different than what the timer reports.

There was a random draw for start order. Simon Shi went out first.