IM Pro Series 2024

Lemmolo and Langridge off the front on the swim after 30mins.

IM Hamburg, the second of the full distance races in the Series has started.
https://proseries.ironman.com/races/im-hamburg
Good luck to the commentators (Dede and Sid) - a hard task.
https://www.tri247.com/...art-list-bib-numbers

It’s so interesting to see the differences in swim stroke between Fanella and the other lady.

Fanella is such a splashy swimmer. She’s all over that other swimmer.

US people and their lack of knowledge of everything outside US. Agreeing on live tv that Frankfurt is the biggest city in germany and berlin number 3 wow.
It is like saying LAs Vegas is bigger than NY

There’s going to be some DQs coming for the riding in Hamburg

Matthew’s Red carded in Hamburg

for what? not watching…just saw she disappeared from tracker.

pro tri news will call it a witch hunt.
the official reason is passing in a non passing zone.

pro tri news will call it a witch hunt.
the official reason is passing in a non passing zone.

I saw someone explaining on the chat of the live stream.
Els Visser slammed the brakes not to pass some AGers, Kat saw the red light from Raceranger and thought she had to pass, so she passed.
I mean, I haven’t seen the images so I don’t know, but with so many of IM rules being so discretional, I think there should be some common sense here rather than applying rules to the letter.
She already faffed about 2 minutes when the front mount came off (probably because Mark didn’t screw the whole thing right lol) and cycled around with pieces of carbon just not to litter. Cut her some slack.

the no pass zone trumps everything.

the no pass zone trumps everything.

Ugh. I guess. And she’s owning it on insta. It just feels wrong, especially as it’s due to the slow AGers being in the way…

Matthew’s Red carded in Hamburgfor what? not watching…just saw she disappeared from tracker.pro tri news will call it a witch hunt.
the official reason is passing in a non passing zone.Nope. ProTriNews will recognise it as correct officiating. This was briefed in the pro briefing and there were ‘No Passing’ signs warning riders.
ProTriNews may observe that there seemed to be multiple ‘Sanders’ excursions across the centre lines, many times with no AG avoidance reason apparent. And also Visser overcooking a corner, staying upright by crossing the cone line right into the face of riders coming the other way (NB this is Hamburg, see tragic previous).
Is there time for Mathews to get to San Francisco.? Will the PTO find her a start? Only a 120km bike in her legs: no run.

Without Matthews, at least we have a great race on our screens, with Hering running faster than she should but Stage Nielsen not letting her get away at all - both running at sub 2:50 pace. Something’s going to give, and I hope it’s not ugly. Neither can run that pace for 26 miles.

Really loving seeing Jackie having such a great season.

Really loving seeing Jackie having such a great season.Has only just started! She could reasonably aspire to a top 7 in the World Championships in September. Next race IMLP I assume, to get that second IM score.
https://proseries.ironman.com/standings

Cairns starting list is out
2024 Cairns Airport IRONMAN Asia-Pacific Championship Cairns

The mens race will have a better than anticipated start list even better than Texas, thanks to Long, the SOF will be around 86.27 compared to 84.04 in Texas with a nice mix of Euros and ‘Oceanic’ guys
Long ranked number 1
Barnaby currently ranked 12th, Taupo qualified has had a good race in Mallorca scoring 2477
Amberger ranked 29th
Phillips 32th TQ and has had good 70.3 results (2nd at Tallin Euro 70.3 championship last year)
Skipper 38th
Currie 45th TQ
Guilloux 53th
Hamilton TQ and KQ, finished 2nd in St George ‘only’ scoring 2 045 due to Long’s gapping the field.
Plus Goetsch, Tim Van Berkel, both former KQ,

Just a shame that the 70.3 North American races are so much softer when Sanders and Long are not racing. Lieferman is supposed to win according to trirating when him and Hanson would not be in the top 10 in stronger european fields. I guess that for someone like Schuster it would mean quite an investment to cross the world ‘just’ for a 70.3 but it could be worth it. He got 2260 points in Mallorca but he is not-yet- one of the 12 Germans qualified for Taupo !
SOF for Mallorca was 90.11 compared to 78.75 for Chattanooga and 81, 68 for Boulder.
This week end Warsaw has Stepniak, Mikki Taagholt plus Iden and Stornes who are not TPO ranked fighting for a total 15 K purse. And the SOF is 81.04 (Juri Keulen will not be racing so the SOF will go down but still)

Actually N. America does not have a single 70.3 race outside the 5 IM Pro Series 70.3 races which explains why so many mid level athletes are racing races because they do not have any other choice given there are no Challenge races and few independant races like in Europe.

Cairns starting list is out
2024 Cairns Airport IRONMAN Asia-Pacific Championship Cairns The mens race. . . .
Actually N. America does not have a single 70.3 race outside the 5 IM 70.3 races which explains why so many mid level athletes are racing races because they do not have any other choice given there are no Challenge races and few independent races like in Europe.The women’s race has Simpson Wilms Berry Brandon Kahlefeldt with a pretty low SOF. Shame; but it’s a long way for most.
Think Simpson is the only one with a shot at the IM Pro Series. Super surprised Penny Slater is not racing given how well she raced (and scored) in Texas. Assume she’s stayed northern hemisphere.
Releasing the start list only 10 days out is way behind the IM curve. I wonder what’s going on. They have not published the European race starts (WPro - Nice and MPro = Austria; neither Pro Series) for the same day.

Lately they have been posting the list 10 days before races either on Wednesdays or Thursdays so maybe tomorrow?

Looks like Lucy CB will be throwing her hat in the ring after all. Plans to qualify for Nice and 70.3 worlds

https://podcast.ironman.com/2360650/15193732-ironman-insider-presented-by-maurten-episode-2-with-lucy-charles-barclay

Looks like Lucy CB will be throwing her hat in the ring after all. Plans to qualify for Nice and 70.3 worlds
https://podcast.ironman.com/2360650/15193732-ironman-insider-presented-by-maurten-episode-2-with-lucy-charles-barclayThis will be why they delayed publishing the IM Nice start list. Will CUBE have a special downhill/TT model to offer/test?
I said 5 days ago:
Weakened pro fields
· The IM world championship this year will be a seriously weakened field, as LCB the defending champ has said she will not go.
· Pros are choosing between T100 and Ironman events is not good for strength of pro fields, and I think that’s a detriment to the sport’s overall community.I completely disagree on the weakened fields. Hell, it seems pretty clear that we are getting better pro fields at every single race this year precisely because the T100 Tour exists and thus the IM Pro Tour exists as well.1) Nice and Kona are going to be stacked. Focusing on one young lady who recognises her weaknesses and has chosen not to compete is a fixation.Totally agree with you.LCB’s worse half has shared his ride into the hills above Nice/Vence. IM France (Nice) is in a fortnight, so** it’s reasonable to assume LCB is already on the start list for 16 June, to validate her Nice start slot.** Just in case she is overcome by FOMO in September. Would also explain the reason for deciding, despite T100 being her No 1 priority, to skip San Francisco

It sounds like she’ll only race 2x140.6 + 1x70.3 since the plan is to validate for both World Champs with IM France in 10 days. I’m not a fan of validating. LCB is a great athlete but an injury prone one. Making her do a 140.6 so that she can race the World Champs just puts another race on her body. She brings value to any start line. & I’m sure there’s some sort of undisclosed deal where she’s getting paid to do this but I still think it’s a lot of racing with the T100 Tour. I would give the top-10 at 70.3/140.6 Worlds a buy each year into the next year with no validation required. Chances are top athletes will race your races. Better chance that top athletes come in fresh/with the race calendar they want/peaked/without injury/etc. They have direct competition now so I doubt they would consider something like this.

Looks like she isn’t targeting the Ironman Pro series by validating at France as it won’t count for any tour points. Listening to the podcast it looks like the opening few races of the T100 tour went better than expected. Given her injury sustained in Kona she had not anticipated leading the T100 tour (even after this weekend she will be top three overall regardless of who wins) and with the big hitters dropping out thick and fast she is comfortable in the series. This has enabled her the space / time needed to validate and recce the course (which she stated earlier on in the year was necessary for her to compete). Smart move from LCB, especially as they changed the validation rule for 70.3 worlds, she now has the opportunity to double validate via one race.