IM Copenhaguen AG madness

Age group racing is becoming more and more competitive and there are many hidden pros who prefer to stay there for a win/KQ than be back packers at the pro field, but this weekend’s IM Copenhaguen AG 30-34 podium was closed in 8h03, which is total madness. Podium splits:
1st place: 7:54:50 (51:07 - 4:19:49 - 2:39:04)
2nd place: 7:59:41 (59:21 - 4:13:21 -2:40:48)
3rd place: 8:03:08 (50:55 - 4:14:58 - 2:51:58)

For comparison, recent Olympian Emil Holm took part as quality training for 70.3 races and did 47:22 - 4:11:02 to pull out after one lap of running as planned. And he’s some serious power horse. Btw the distances were legit (3750 - 178 - 42.5).
What’s next?

1 Like

Completely agree on the depth of the field but I’d also blame almost perfect weather conditions. Despite it is quite hard to compare different years, but this year’s bike time is significantly faster than last year. Swimming times also look faster - but it might be I’m just comparing only top 10 or so.

As a general trend, AGs become faster and faster. I think, we got the first AG sub-8 last year and during this year, potentially, every fast course brings a couple of AG sub-8.

Those are some incredibly fast times, but I’d guess had there been a pro race that these times wouldn’t have been near the top of that.

It’s Europe. Work/life balance is much better there than in America. Depending on what country you live in, you can easily get by working 20-30 hours per week and enjoy many of the same amenities as the wage slaves in America who work 45-50 hours. Healthcare is free and public transportation is much better and more widely available, so no need to own a car. This allows plenty of top “Age-Groupers” to train and recover like pros, in a way that is not possible for most in America.

This was also one of the last KQ races for the men on the 2024 cycle. Next chance to do Kona is in 2 years if you don’t get it now.

These times are fast, but we’ve also seen faster times being turned out when there’s a Kona slot on the line vs when there are Nice slots.

This was also one of the last KQ races for the men on the 2024 cycle. Next chance to do Kona is in 2 years if you don’t get it now.

These times are fast, but we’ve also seen faster times being turned out when there’s a Kona slot on the line vs when there are Nice slots.

This also might be the reason but if I’d hope to get the last minute ticket to Kona, I’d chose Frankfurt instead - 75 slots vs 35 in Copenhagen.

EPO is a hell of a drug.

EPO is a hell of a drug.//

Do tell, fill us in on your experience with it, inquiring minds would like to know???

Completely agree on the depth of the field but I’d also blame almost perfect weather conditions. Despite it is quite hard to compare different years, but this year’s bike time is significantly faster than last year. Swimming times also look faster - but it might be I’m just comparing only top 10 or so.

As a general trend, AGs become faster and faster. I think, we got the first AG sub-8 last year and during this year, potentially, every fast course brings a couple of AG sub-8.

isn’t copenhagen also a saltwater wetsuit swim? that’s a really fast combo. i think one of the fastest-ever ironman swims was set there a few years ago!

hidden pros

huh?

isn’t copenhagen also a saltwater wetsuit swim? that’s a really fast combo. i think one of the fastest-ever ironman swims was set there a few years ago!

Not much salt in that water, but nice lagoon swim with easy sighthing.

This also might be the reason but if I’d hope to get the last minute ticket to Kona, I’d chose Frankfurt instead - 75 slots vs 35 in Copenhagen.

I’m invested in it, since I raced IM Frankfurt yesterday, but the competition in Frankfurt was fierce. 9h17min15sec gives you 32nd place in AG 30-34. This is non-wetsuit sweet water swim, 175km bike with 1250m of elevation, standard flat-ish 100% accurate run. The grass is always greener somewhere else, but I think it was indeed this time.

It’s Europe. Work/life balance is much better there than in America. Depending on what country you live in, you can easily get by working 20-30 hours per week and enjoy many of the same amenities as the wage slaves in America who work 45-50 hours. Healthcare is free and public transportation is much better and more widely available, so no need to own a car. This allows plenty of top “Age-Groupers” to train and recover like pros, in a way that is not possible for most in America.

I wish this was true, but for the majority of Europe it really isn’t. I would love to work 20-30 hours, be able to sell our cars and recover like a pro, but unfortunately most of us have to work 40 hours, drive to the office and squeeze training in before and after work. I’m not suggesting that these guys who are putting in pro-level times are having to work long weeks, and it’s definitely possible they are able to train and recover like pros, but it’s definitely not like that for all of us. I appreciate in the US there is a bigger culture of long work weeks, but it’s not total paradise over here!

I’m invested in it, since I raced IM Frankfurt yesterday, but the competition in Frankfurt was fierce. 9h17min15sec gives you 32nd place in AG 30-34. This is non-wetsuit sweet water swim, 175km bike with 1250m of elevation, standard flat-ish 100% accurate run. The grass is always greener somewhere else, but I think it was indeed this time.

I think M30-34 was even tighter in Copenhagen. I did not follow the slot allocation but it might be that in order to get a slot in that group, you’d have to finish in 8:20ish.
From the other side, M35-39 was more forgiving than M30-34 and, what is interesting, than M40-44 as well.
So, you never know 😁

hidden pros

huh?

People who train 25-30 h/week without real jobs or one that allows them to recover well, have sponsors (in some cases more than many pros) and a level that would place them in the second half of the pro field. Many choose to win AG races rather than be mid-pack or later end there…

Fully agree. In Frankfurt last Sunday go sub8h is good enough for 29th PRO. But 1st with margen in the AG ranking. What sells better for the media and social media??

The winner at Copenhagen was Stephen Derrett. He does work a full-time job, and this result has anything but come out of the blue.
He has been progressing year-on-year and putting in countless awesome performances.
Furthermore, he did apply for a Pro licence last year but was turned down by British Triathlon. As despite many phenomenal results, non-technical meet the required criteria laid out.
He has met the criteria this year by winning the British middle distance champs. So likely will be racing Pro/Elite next year.

If you are interested, he has a blog outlining his years in the sport: https://sderrett-triathlon.com/british-middle-distance/

The whole winning age group racing vs mid-pack pro is another debate, though.
At the start of the year, some people on this form were mocking mid-pack pros for being passed by Taylor Knibb at 70.3 Oceanside.
But now anyone at the front of an age group race is sandbagging & likely doping also. Where do you want them to race 🤷‍♂️
There is such a blurred line between the 2 positions. I suspect most pros outside the top ~25 have jobs and work a lot more than most people on here think.

I am currently the latter, while working a full-time job. Despite some small moments/results to be proud with. In honesty, I had much more enjoyment around training, racing and the sport in general when racing age group.

I am currently the latter, while working a full-time job. Despite some small moments/results to be proud with. In honesty, I had much more enjoyment around training, racing and the sport in general when racing age group.
Why not go back to age group racing then? Don’t let the whiny boys around here stop you.

I think they could just have pro, young triathlete (18-23), and open male and open female (24-44). Pros are generally 24-42 people competing in a paid division. You could just have a category where there is no prize money. Then start regular age groups after 43 (like 43-47, 48-53, 54-59). The five year age groups in the younger categories barely make any sense anyway

It is shocking that he was not given a pro license. He definitely has the street credit, sub 8 IM, 30 min 10 k, 68 min half, etc.