Harris Walz interview review

Since I can’t find the other thread on the topic of the CNN interview, and I finally got around to watching it in full, and I need to try to learn how this format works, I figured I’d give my analysis and hear what others thought about it.

Dana Bash was non confrontational but did ask questions about policy and position changes (banning fracking, decrminalizing border crossing, distortions of Walz’ record etc.). She was not a hostile interviewer but did press when and where appropriate.

What struck me most is that, best I can tell, she didn’t lie or exaggerate or take unnecessary shots at her opponent. It was fact based, policy driven, reliable narrator politics. She was relaxed, engaged, engaging, personable, and responsive to every question asked. There are questions I would have liked to hear more detailed answers on, like connecting safer fracking techniques to the growth of the green energy economy instead of just reaffirming that she won’t ban it.

On the substance:

Inflation: noted repeatedly that it’s down under 3%, and mentioned that the US fared better under their administration than most other developed nation post-COVID. She acknowledged that it isn’t enough and that people are still feeling sticker shock at the grocery store. I think she covered the issue well, and with confidence and assurances.

Fracking: she reaffirmed that she did not ban it, that she will not ban it, and that it can coexist in a mixed energy market while we continue to develop the renewable energy economy. In fact she cast the deciding vote as VP to increase fracking leases in the United States. Kamala Harris will not ban fracking.

Border security: she reaffirmed that she will make sure the ccnservative sponsored border security bill will reach her desk and be signed into law. She gave details about what that bill entailed (1,500 additional border security agents, among others) and that the Border Patrol supports the bill as well. She reminded viewers that it was Donald Trump, for his own personal gain, who torpedoed the bill, and that she will sign it not if but when it hits her desk. She reminded viewers that she is the only person in the race who has prosecuted transnational criminals (while resisting the temptation, I’m sure, to remind everyone that her opponent is a convicted felon awaiting sentencing and additional felony charges).

Identity politics: she brushed aside the topic of her racial and gender identity more than once and refocused the conversation on her experience, her values, her competence, and her desire to be a President for all Americans. It felt very different from the Hillary campaign in that regard, though that may be a matter of circumstance in that Hillary was in uncharted political water at the time.

Optics: having seen the interview in its entirety, she seemed very much in command, and the senior politician of the two, which is impressive for a brown woman juxtaposed a white haired male Governor. If I had to choose three words for her performance, they would be: Competent, thoughtful, and grounded.

I’m curious what you thought of it and if it met, failed to meet, or exceeded your expectations.

1 Like

I have been told she is a Communist, but she made no mention of seizing the means of production, the reeducation camps, or the coup. Very disappointing.

2 Likes

Unfortunately both Harris and Walz intentionally avoided answering questions.

Help me out here. I read sphere’s fine review, and the WaPo as well, and saw no mention of avoidance to questions.

That’s pretty much how political interviews go. Not that it isn’t a valid criticism, it’s just a pipe dream to think it will be different. Which is why they are kind of useless.

ETA - how does the quote function work?

ETA - how does the quote function work?

I agree that is how they typically go.

But why? Why are politicians so wily and evasive? Don’t they understand that this behavior makes a terrible impression on viewers and voters? And that it’s highly corrosive regarding building trust in politics in general?

Because it is possible for a politician to get in more nuanced info and still answer the bloody question asked.

Because they’re not in the business of answering questions and informing voters. They’re in the business of not saying anything that could harm their campaign. Stick to talking points that have been tested and developed by communications experts. Don’t veer too far off, or you get accused of gaffes, or you say something that turns off potential voting blocs.

If you watch the CNN interview, you will see several examples of each of them avoiding directly answering questions.

Have you ever been trained on how to talk to the media? The first rule of an interview is to get your message and points across while avoiding talking about things you don’t want to talk about. That is true of anyone who talks to the press, not just politicians.

I didn’t watch much of it. The fracking thing as far as I can see she said in 2019 she would ban fracking and in 2020 she “didn’t ban fracking as Vice President” It really is a non answer. If I were in Pennsylvania and felt strongly fracking should continue it really wouldn’t be any reassurance fracking will continue. As far as I can see she is trying to portray herself as a moderate Democrat and she isn’t. Up until 2-3 months ago when the democrats still though Joe was their route to victory the idea of running Kamala was worrisome to them. It seemed like Dana Bash basically did a softball interview. “My values have not changed” doesn’t tell you much about policy.

She said more than that. She explained when her position changed, it was before she became VP

“I made that clear on the debate stage in 2020 that I would not ban fracking, as vice president I did not ban fracking, as president I will not ban fracking,”

She explained why her position had changed

“What I have seen is that we can grow and we can increase a thriving clean energy economy without banning fracking,”

She is right. The President cannot just shut down fracking. If you want to reduce it then focus on the demand side. Encourage and support better energy options.

And perhaps most importantly was her deciding vote as VP/Senate tie breaker that increased fracking leases in the United States. She had the opportunity to single handedly block that legislation and she voted in favor of it. It’s hard to imagine her policy position reversal prior to that vote, along with that vote and her ongoing verbal commitment to continue fracking, that we should expect or suspect anything different.

As I said before though, the why part of her answer remains somewhat murky.

A less charitable assessment here from National Review:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/telling-the-fracking-truth-about-harris/

People want to hold her feet to the fire about a position that changed years ago, and that she has been clear and consistent on as it would effect policy in her administration.

don-OLD changed his position on abortion law (whether “six weeks is enough”) literally overnight. Not because his position or values changed, but because he accidentally told the truth (he was very clear in the position that six weeks isn’t enough) and the evangelicals were losing their minds. So, they whipped him back into the party line by the next morning.

If those same people can get a Federal Abortion Ban law on his desk, and tell him that he will be forever loved if he signs it, (and “everybody wants it!”), he’ll sign it in a heartbeat.

But yeah, Harris is a FLIP-FLOPPER!

You seriously think that Kamala Harris didn’t take direction on how to vote on fracking in the Senate from the White House? She was told by the White House how to vote. It wasn’t her decision. If she voted contrary to what she was told that would have been the end to her ambitions to be President

We all know Donald is a flip flopper. It isn’t like I am a Trump fan. The question was if Kamala Harris impressed me in the interview. She didn’t. She wants to win and will do whatever it takes to do so. She needs Pennsylvania. If she didn’t she wouldn’t be emphatically saying she won’t ban fracking.

What she said was Joe Biden would not ban fracking. It just isn’t true that she made it clear she would not ban fracking. You can go to fact checking and see for yourself.

It’s a moot point. She has a unique role as the tiebreaker vote in the Senate and she did what she said she would do, and has said what she will continue to do. Your logic, which I understand, also applies to her position now and going forward: do you think it would make sense to stand on her pro-fracking record and pledge to continue it, then reverse course on an important energy issue, if she aspires to be more than an inconsequential one term President? That’s setting aside of course what she can actually do unilaterally on the issue.

You can’t look at the totality of her record and history and context and deduce anything other than that fracking will not be banned in a Harris Administration.

I have not been trained on this. But it seems that one could still get a message across while simultaneously answering questions forthrightly. It would make a vastly different (a far better) impression on viewers and voters.

Watching any politician so obviously squirm out of answering reasonable questions make me cringe. And it makes me understand why so many people despise politicians.

The reality is no President can ban fracking. America does not have a centrally planned economy. The vast majority of oil and gas production in America is not on Federal land and the portion that does come from Federal land is governed by lease laws written by Congress, not the executive.

I am glad that she now sees the reality of the situation and focuses her time on promoting policies that result in better energy options for the American consumer.

1 Like