Extrinsic / Intrinsic Motivation: Who Are You?

Who? Who? Who? Who?*

(*Peter Townshend.)

So, a recent thread, (and my life!), caused me to ask this question / make this thread.

What motivates you? Podium? Medals? Recognition?

Or is your core reason for doing sport / races / events “within you”, a “secret satisfaction”, hidden within personal diaries that you have diligently kept for decades, through thick and thin, a reason that has fuck-all to do with anything “public”, be you FOP, BOP, MOP, young, older, newbie, long-timer, whatever?

Or is it a combination of both?

Discus.

I recall Scott TInley being asked how he deals with pain late in the marathon in IM. His answer: “Same way as everyone else. Any way I can.”

Motivation is same. Take it wherever you find it. It’s free and it’s not like you’re stealing it from anyone.

For me the motivation is trying to hold onto power numbers as I age into my 50’s. I enjoy the challenge of digging deep in training and trying to get into the best shape I can. I do race a little bit (not currently tri due to a knee injury that I am rehabbing so minimal running) but on MTB and occasionally road. However, I more just enjoy the training and the 200km rides with the local cycling club to prove to myself that I still can.

OK, since you asked, I tell this story all the time. When I talk to people about why I do triathlon I tell them, “I don’t exercise because I love to exercise. I exercise because I love to eat!” That’s no bullshit.

Years ago, I was working out by today’s standards as light intensity. I thought I was doing pretty good. I would run a 5k every so often and thought I was in pretty good shape.

Then I saw my doctor and he told me my A1c was 5.9, borderline diabetic. Well, then I was confronted with a decision. I could really restrict my diet and eliminate a lot of the stuff I really like eating/drinking. Or, I could just ramp up my workouts and burn that many more calories.

I chose the latter. So here I am, at 54, training for my first full distance Ironman in a few months. I still eat/drink like shit. I love chocolate, and I love Dr. Pepper. But I’m also healthier and in better physical condition than I’ve been since I was in the military 30 years ago.

I recall Scott TInley being asked how he deals with pain late in the marathon in IM. His answer: “Same way as everyone else. Any way I can.”

Motivation is same. Take it wherever you find it. It’s free and it’s not like you’re stealing it from anyone.

x2, and god bless scott tinley

When I talk to people about why I do triathlon I tell them, “I don’t exercise because I love to exercise. I exercise because I love to eat!”

I’m part-and-parcel with you here. My doctor asked me, “How’s your diet?” I thought for a second and said, “Enjoyable.”

This isn’t the only motivation I have.

A second motivation is to have my son (35yo) and my son-in-law (39yo) think I’m a badass. I’m not, but I like to think that they think I am because of all the training and the races I do.

The third motivator is simply to try to have a good lifestyle as I age.

For me, I feel better when I get outdoors and do stuff for a long time than if I don’t.

Competition, numbers, etc, is all just a way of providing structure to get me outdoors more often and longer.

I do some indoor stuff occassionally, like Zwift and CrossFit, but, again, that’s part of that structure.

I guess that’s intrinsic. It’s about my feelings.

Edit: TMT said the same thing better. He nailed it.

Intrinsic for sure. I train like I’m getting ready for a long course tri, but I rarely race. There is a tiny part of me that likes the idea if someone were to ask, “Hey, you wanna do an Ironman distance training day tomorrow”, I can honestly say, “Sure! Let’s do it!”

As a 58yo, most of my workouts are easy, but on the days I choose to dial it up, that “old feeling” of dancing on the pedals up a climb, or striding out at a fast tempo on the run, or “relaxed speed” in the pool on a hard 100 or 200… comes back and it just feels right. I just can’t do the higher intensity stuff day in and day out like I did when I was younger.

The reason for “Why the training” is because of the adventure it brings and the people I get to do it with. Summiting a 14er out in Colorado, hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim, riding the Great Allegheny Passage in one day, morning open water swims in a serene lake, early runs in the woods. Getting to do this with like-minded friends of similar ability is icing on the cake!!

When I’m active and getting in regular workouts, I eat better, I sleep better, I have a better temperment, I’m a better husband, father, son, friend, brother, boss. I get more done around the house because I have more energy. The “big challenges” in life somehow don’t seem as big after getting in a workout.

Having the means, the time, the desire, the health to pursue an active lifestyle is a total privilege and one I appreciate more and more with every passing year.

I posted an answer to this question - or some flavor of it, anyway - a couple years ago, so please allow me to self-plagiarize myself

I read a quote once - I can’t remember by whom, but it was probably from Runner’s World’s “Inspirational Quote of the Day” or some bullshit like that

“Running is essentially private and - if you like - selfish … and all the more precious for being so”

I could go on …

“Learning about what you’re made of is always time well spent.” - Henry Rollins
“When I’m running I don’t have to talk to anybody and don’t have to listen to anybody. This is a part of my day I can’t do without.” - Murakami

Am I making the Great Big World a better place by training? Maybe not visibly, but I’m making my* part *of it better, which makes other people’s parts better, and that ripples around the World — one would Hope

I could go on & on, because I get that same ‘guilt’ about both my Running, and my Art , but if I *didn’t *do these things, I’d be a mess and a complete asshole - vs. only a partial asshole LOL

Who? Who? Who? Who?*

(*Peter Townshend.)

So, a recent thread, (and my life!), caused me to ask this question / make this thread.

What motivates you? Podium? Medals? Recognition?

Or is your core reason for doing sport / races / events “within you”, a “secret satisfaction”, hidden within personal diaries that you have diligently kept for decades, through thick and thin, a reason that has fuck-all to do with anything “public”, be you FOP, BOP, MOP, young, older, newbie, long-timer, whatever?

Or is it a combination of both?

Discus.

Considering I’m doing 30,000 yards a week swimming and biking 6 days a week with zero races schedule

Which do you think I am?

You’re me, but not running. Or maybe I’m doing your running for you?

If anyone is interested, my Annual Screaming Tortise Athletic Club Endless Summer 100 Days/100 Runs Challenge comes to a close on Monday

We’re looking at a final tally of 96 Runs, with streaks of 40* and 38 days of 5K minimum (per ST 100/100 stipulations), currently on 24 days

• I started the streak before the 100/100 opened on Memorial Day 😎

It’s both. The intrinsic part is important: getting outside (which is why I moved to CO), feeling fit, and getting the satisfaction of doing something hard (by my standards). The extrinsic part isn’t from podiums or awards — I like those things and value the awards I got from activities where I was good enough to get them. But, I was never good enough at an endurance sport to get that sort of recognition. Instead, the extrinsic part is from telling friends or posting to a social media site.

I have seen people who would say that it’s all intrinsic, yet they get plenty angry when Strava does not capture their outing that day.

You are dealing with this topic in your typically ironic and light way. All the better for it.

Lets take this dark.

We are close to or already at degenerate stage in evolution and on earth. Not much long left now. God’s left.

Doing some running or handball or doing a few laps in the pool - what else can we do. Passes the time well enough, most find?

Doing some running or handball or doing a few laps in the pool - what else can we do. Passes the time well enough, most find?

It’s about time for an update to Waiting for Godot. I can see you in the pool, forearm over the edge, waiting for your masters partner to show up. In Act III you learn your partner is playing pickleball instead.

funniest shit. that cracks me up good. thank you.

You are dealing with this topic in your typically ironic and light way. All the better for it.

Let’s take this dark.

Thanks, I appreciate that you’ve read enough of my posts to say that. It means a lot

Doubling down on ironic - my wardrobe is almost entirely black

Except at the beach

https://youtu.be/…?si=b27cz8sdaHpk8kkL

Somebody mentioned to drink Dr. Pepper… AMEN TO THAT! long rides are the only time I allow myself this guilty pleasure.(Don’t tell the wife) It’s terrible for you but dang if it’s not delicious half way through a ride! Especially on a hot day!

I’ve been running and riding bikes since I was 3. It’s my outlet. I now home school my kids so getting out and trying to crush the group rides is my release. It’s a pretty selfish endeavor training for Ironman though so I try and keep my total training under 13 hours a week with swim, bike, run. It also provides many opportunities for excellent conversations with people and Yah willing, I’ll be training with my kids one day! For now I like to show them the result of hard work and perseverance.

funniest shit. that cracks me up good. thank you.

Let’s take this dark.

Thanks, I appreciate that you’ve read enough of my posts to say that. It means a lot

Doubling down on ironic - my wardrobe is almost entirely black

Except at the beach

https://youtu.be/…?si=b27cz8sdaHpk8kkL

Somebody mentioned to drink Dr. Pepper… AMEN TO THAT! long rides are the only time I allow myself this guilty pleasure.(Don’t tell the wife) It’s terrible for you but dang if it’s not delicious half way through a ride! Especially on a hot day!

I’ve been running and riding bikes since I was 3. It’s my outlet. I now home school my kids so getting out and trying to crush the group rides is my release. It’s a pretty selfish endeavor training for Ironman though so I try and keep my total training under 13 hours a week with swim, bike, run. It also provides many opportunities for excellent conversations with people and Yah willing, I’ll be training with my kids one day! For now I like to show them the result of hard work and perseverance.