Challenge Beijing Pro Invite Only Race

Belinda does a great solo job hosting and commentating this event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4wNjkjS38

1 Like

Yes, that was a sterling performance by her in challenging (from her PoV) circumstances. Seemingly no splits but spectating (not live so plenty of FFDs) made worthwhile by a great race in the men’s with some ‘do or die’ moves in that last 2km.

Women showing their class: I wonder whether Ibiza (100k as opposed to this one’s 51.5km) will play out with the same differentials between the top 3 athletes. Expected better biking from Derron but whoa! she’s a weapon on the run: would be interesting to see her, Jewett and Haug (not 6 days after Nice) motoring through the field.

20m drafting seemed to work. $20000 ftw and $10000 for #2!(!)

Agree, Belinda always does a great job with race coverage. Curious as to what the athletes appearance fees were. I’m guessing pretty substantial considering Paula has Worlds TT in 2 weeks.

She said on the pod the appearance fee + winners purse made it very worthwhile for any athlete.

Fun race to watch, replay is on YouTube

[quote=“JackStraw13, post:3, topic:1278284, full:true”]
Agree, Belinda always does a great job with race coverage. Curious as to what the athletes appearance fees were. I’m guessing pretty substantial considering Paula has Worlds TT in 2 weeks.[quote=“Lagoon, post:4, topic:1278284, full:true”]
She said on the pod the appearance fee + winners purse made it very worthwhile for any athlete.[/quote][/quote]
Appreciate invite only but I wonder why, if invited, Gentle turned down such a lucrative race and with 3 weeks to Ibiza, went to some European bronze tier (and beaten). Maybe organisers reckoned she’d be off the front and spoil the race. Why have Rainsley there: virtually the first ever time on a TT bike.

Gotcha, haven’t listened to this week’s pod yet.

I’m constantly surprised people expect so much from Julie’s bike. The PTO site shows…it’s just not that good right now. But yes…she can run extremely well. Fun race to watch!

[quote=“dfru, post:8, topic:1278284, full:true”]
I’m constantly surprised people expect so much from Julie’s bike. The PTO site shows…it’s just not that good right now. But yes…she can run extremely well. Fun race to watch!
[/quote]
I looked at Derron’s Walschee bike and she beat Siffert by 3 minutes: the Siffert who just took 5 minutes out of Gentle on Saturday. But, yes, let’s see how she manages in a Diamond race. I assume she’ll swim with LCB and Knibb and then be dropped on the first Ibiza bike lap (of two and a half) and Pohle will blow past.

But how far back does she go: back to Haug and Matthews? Back to Jewett?
I think just going to the PTO Bike rankings is simplistic: it draws on the three bike legs and her first two were very average (as was this one tbf).

I mean…Walschee is the outlier performance for Derron - 3 weeks earlier she got outrode by 6 minutes by Siffert in Switzerland. Heck…Derron might not need to be any better then Ashleigh on the bike…but people talk about her like she’s at the very pointy end of the bike and…she’s just not. Yet.

That said - Brett Sutton coaches her (and Siffert for that matter) and that usually results in pretty good bike run performances. And I suspect that we will see her improve as she transitions to long course. Excited to see Ibiza but she got pretty much taken to task by Paula and Lucy Byrum over Olympic distance and that’s not with Knibb, LCB et all in the race. It’s going to be fascinating - and in 6 months at the start of 2025 I suspect this comment can (and probably will) no longer be relevant. But for now…I just don’t see her that prominent on the bike.

1 Like

well some of those races she did on a road bike.
she certainly has very good road bike bike power so its more a question how and when she will transfer this to tt power .

2 Likes

Absolutely! And like I said - I suspect this will be corrected as we go into 2025. I just don’t know that it’s going to be by Ibiza (and…assumed Vegas)

ETA She was on a TT bike today - and lost a bunch of time. LOTS of work to do with the bike position though

1 21 Paula Findlay 个人 00:20:05 00:03:00 00:57:37 00:01:22 00:35:32 01:57:36
2 22 Lucy Byram 个人 00:20:05 00:02:59 00:57:35 00:01:24 00:35:53 01:57:56
3 25 Julie Derron 个人 00:19:29 00:02:52 01:01:32 00:01:14 00:33:21 01:58:28
4 24 Ellie Salthouse 个人 00:19:55 00:03:08 00:59:12 00:01:26 00:36:16 01:59:57
5 26 Sian Rainsley 个人 00:19:25 00:02:59 01:01:42 00:01:20 00:35:54 02:01:20
6 23 Amelia Watkinson 个人 00:22:10 00:03:10 01:01:01 00:01:19 00:35:58 02:03:38

So she was second slowest, 10s faster than the girl who JUST got her TT bike. Like I said - this should change, but there’s a lot of work to do.

Also crazy - besides Julie’s crazy runs - the other women all ran within 45s of each other. Kinda nuts.

Was she in the lead at Walschee? Moto help perhaps?

1 Like

Weird distance weird field no PTO points on the line. Taking that dirty China money is worth it I guess.

No different to dirty Greenbacks

1 Like

I am pretty sure Sian borrowed a TT bike.

Not the slightest “weird”. Was a standard (ie Oly) distance but non-drafting. This is the classic Beijing Open. And the limited field made congestion on the bike manageable. Imagine that men’s race with 20 quality athletes racing. One long drive train.
No PTO points because that distance is outwith the PTO Ranking specs:

Eligible Races
“Any non-drafting triathlon with a professional field that’s longer than Olympic distance (1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run) and with a minimum prize purse of $10,000 is eligible for PTO World Ranking Points, bringing the sport together regardless of branding. This includes professional PTO Tour races, IRONMAN, IRONMAN 70.3, Challenge Family and Clash events as well as independent races meeting the minimum prize purse criteria.”

Pretty sure it was provided by her sponsor, webuycycle