2024 Bike Racing Banter V2 ***Spoilers***

a schismatic would agitate for and create separate threads for each stage

Someone beat you to it, didn’t even have to wait until July.

1 Like

Riding and recording Frederick Gran Fondo tomorrow (in case any masochists want to ride a seriously lumpy 97 mile ride on a trainer via Fulgaz someday)

Every time I do a hundy (which is increasingly rare) I wonder if it’ll be the last one.

i COMPLETELY understand.
one teammate adjusted the route to finish to add 2.5 miles to get the hundo.
I won’t be doing that (mostly cuz - I’m recording for the Gran Fondo peeps and Fulgaz). I’ve done a few big climbing 75-80 mile rides this year and had ZERO desire to dig the hole any deeper.
My only hundos the last 2-3 years are 100 charity ride/gravel race routes that are a lil long (102-104).
it goes w/o typing that recovery from this will be a multi day affair.

I didn’t do a hundy all last year (but had a couple 6 hour gravel rides) and then busted out 145 with 7500ft of climbing to ride from Marin to Monterey for Sea Otter. I’m 98% certain I’ll never ride that far again. Did one more hundy this year going from Truckee around Lake Tahoe. It’s super scenic but so much car traffic now that I highly doubt I’ll do that one again. And the road riding here in Bend is just too boring to be on a bike that long.

I explained to each one. I told them the list of inductees and let’s say there was reaction to Ferris. But I would always list Derek last so they would go “ok, good choice”

2 Likes

Nice! We are at L’Appartements just across from the hotel. We were stopped at the intersection next to Michael Valgren coming back from a ride, as the Tudor dudes were rolling out.

Valgren also solid dude - my old teammate is a coach with EF - so I got to meet Valgren on their ride (at MD Pro) - really humble - and we were rooting hard for him in that Giro stage where he finished 2nd. Have fun out there!
Marcag - just reaffirming that all that aero work you do on the side for Pro Tour dudes is peanuts compared to getting Matej, Toms, and Gee to acknowledge their GDC member status. Many thanks for the excellent work!

I have not given up on Ferris

If we induct Valgren that would be easy

I could count on him to join for a beer in all occasions. Great guy. Just on his beer drinking ability he should get in

1 Like

That’s an all time good dude moment. He had some crashes prior to that too that were brutal. His Roadman interviews were always really nice.

1 Like

Valgren is legend status on results alone - Het Nieuws (sp?) and Amstel winner. My friend’s (his coach) respect for him is plenty for me. I also couldn’t help but notice the Giro crew were rooting for him too.
again great work and many thanks - possible Valgren pic attached
IMG_5373

1 Like

Marc you are the GOAT. Thanks for spreading the goodness.

1 Like

The beauty of this race is the guys are so approachable.

I must admit Matej must have thought I was a super stalker crazed fan until I proved I knew his CDA through last year’s TTT planning. And Pello vouched for me.

1 Like

One last thing: I confirmed, from the horses mouth, Maman J does not like “Matty”

The beauty of this race is the guys are so approachable.

I remember trying to find riders to talk to at 2015 Worlds. So difficult to track down though. I did get to speak to Phinney and Craddock though.

What’s the secret to finding riders to talk to the day before (or perhaps day of)? I’m somewhat concerned that i’ll get the grumpy Cadel treatment, esp. on day of.

Charming personality and Brad Pitt looks !

Not but seriously, this race is great because they all stay at the same hotel and arrive somewhat at the same time. They know the vibe of the spectators and they go along with it. They seem to be happy to be here.

1 Like

For the Tahoe one - my hood - I hear you on traffic. I have learned the good times to do it from longtime locals.

Been a while for longer rides for me, until I just did Badwater to Whitney Portal - around 140 miles with around 16K of climbing. And chose poorly on the season. The temp was 95F at 5AM in Badwater and only got higher from there until the last few miles up the mountain. My Garmin peaked at 126F, but I think reads a little high. The guy who lured me into it bailed around mile 70, so it was solo except the descents where he rejoined me. With an always-there SAG so it wasn’t stupid dangerous. The worst part was getting to Lone Pine and finding out that Portal Road construction meant a 5-mile bypass. So 5 hard extra miles…and the ride wouldn’t count on the Strava segment.

From now on whenever I hear World Tour guys advocating for invoking the heat protocol stuff, I’m 100% on their side.

1 Like

LegiT

Nice pic!

Will just add some more color. There are only three WT riders I follow on Strava. El Tractor, Thomas da Tank, and Matteo. The first two for their rides. Matteo for the fun. He is a simply a little kid having the best day of his life every day. Always posts photos. Sights, interactions, little jokes, selfies with teammates.

And when he is home in Idaho, he just rides anywhere and everywhere. When he does the most local routes, he waves at everyone, will chat up folks he rides alongside. A few years ago he did the local hill climb. He flew up, then just waited and hung out with all the local weekend warriors.

I always laugh, because he will also go on a 130 gravel ride into the deep backwood towns. Stop for a burger, and I know when this tall skinny kid in a Visma kit wanders through, nobody there knows who the F he is.

3 Likes

My favorite run of the year this morning. I ran a good chunk of the course, closed to cars and cops every 200m to ensure my personal security.

One trek rider came by twice

Spoke to a cop, extra security this year.

Based upon the above referenced testimony, I’ll nominate Jorgo (with a fully disclosed US bias) for the GDC.

Further, maybe Ferris goes on double secret probation? I might be able to get word to him and maybe he helps his cause.