Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems that Conninx is planning to be in the olympics despite the broken elbow and wrist... see what the FFT says about that considering they have 2 athletes completely healthy and fit (Bergere, Luis), one who is a mistery (Le Corre) and one "just in case" (Richard)

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Don't think there are any workarounds. Nations gain start slots by their MTR rankings (which then guarantees two start slots in the individual. These don't have to be filled (as in they don't have to even line up on the pontoon) so the Dutch chose to sit their athletes out in Tokyo iirc.
On the MTR the final two OQ relay slots (and with it 2+2 which makes a serious difference to individuals who otherwise won't get an individual start) will be decided tomorrow (Friday) at Huatalco.
https://triathlon.org/...iathlon_cup_huatulco
Starts 0715 (local time UTC+6, so 1415 BST and 1515 CEST).
Rankings: https://triathlon.org/...lympic_qualification
https://www.triathlon.org/..._to_paris24_olympics
Norway are ranked #11 and Hungary #12. But Blummenfelt is not called on to race! They'll hope Miller can hold it together and Loevseth run it in. Then Belgium #13 but they will almost certainly Q 2+2 (Geens vanRiel Vermeylen Michel) so will Q for the MTR automatically. Brazil #15 too. Denmark #14 are too weak to beat Norway/Hungary I'd have thought. Netherlands #17 have a chance but their Leg 3 is weak (Murray Kingma 'x' Klamer)
https://www.triathlonlive.tv/...y-qualifier-huatulco

my question was more could one sub in an athlete one did not use in the oly race in paris. lets say one has an athelte that might do well in the single race if the stars align but loses 10 seconds in each transition and overall the bike is weak and i do not want to use that athelte in the relay.and i also have a consistent athlete that one really would want to use in the relay, and lets just say hypothetical one of the atheltes that did the oly race had already raced in another sport twice at the oly games and too tired for the relay.
like could one ask one or even 2 atheltes that did the oly race , to drink 1 litre of e coli water and then miss the relay so one can sub in the alternate athlete...

Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Don't think there are any workarounds. Nations gain start slots by their MTR rankings (which then guarantees two start slots in the individual. These don't have to be filled (as in they don't have to even line up on the pontoon) so the Dutch chose to sit their athletes out in Tokyo iirc.
On the MTR the final two OQ relay slots (and with it 2+2 which makes a serious difference to individuals who otherwise won't get an individual start) will be decided tomorrow (Friday) at Huatalco.
Norway are ranked #11 and Hungary #12. But Blummenfelt is not called on to race! They'll hope Miller can hold it together and Loevseth run it in. Then Belgium #13 but they will almost certainly Q 2+2 (Geens vanRiel Vermeylen Michel) so will Q for the MTR automatically. Brazil #15 too. Denmark #14 are too weak to beat Norway/Hungary I'd have thought. Netherlands #17 have a chance but their Leg 3 is weak (Murray Kingma 'x' Klamer)
https://www.triathlonlive.tv/...y-qualifier-huatulco

my question was more could one sub in an athlete one did not use in the oly race in paris. lets say one has an athelte that might do well in the single race if the stars align but loses 10 seconds in each transition and overall the bike is weak and i do not want to use that athelte in the relay.and i also have a consistent athlete that one really would want to use in the relay, and lets just say hypothetical one of the atheltes that did the oly race had already raced in another sport twice at the oly games and too tired for the relay.
like could one ask one or even 2 atheltes that did the oly race , to drink 1 litre of e coli water and then miss the relay so one can sub in the alternate athlete...

No subs. If you qualify 6 athletes you take 6 athletes, if you qualify 4 athletes you take 4 athletes. There is a chance to sub your nominations up to a certain date but once they are on the start line for the individual they are used. I think Coldwell travelled as a reserve to Tokyo but that was in case GTB didn’t make the start line. As soon as GTB was confirmed she left.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the British males (Yee aside) should just meet somewhere and race a supersprint, problem solved!
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Illness as a result of water quality will likely be used as an excuse for any nation wanting to change their mind about an athlete between individual and relay.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Slowtwitch does know Max Stapley's GB Olympics qualification status better than he does!

From Tim Heming on Twitter:

Great Britain's Max Stapley lines up in WTCS Cagliari on May 25, but it WON'T be with Olympic qualification in mind.

Max has been ruled ineligible for Paris because he raced for Australia in Arzachena on May 28, 2022, just one day after the Olympic qualification period began.

https://twitter.com/.../1791027642906386866
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh finally, some clarification as to why he is not mentioned by BT. Now all the peeps claiming rampant discrimination can know that it is not the case!
Which is why it is probably between Jonny and Sam Dickenson who are both entered in the super sprint race, or on the start list anyway.
Don't really see it being Hugo, looked too weKnon the bike.

As an aside, jess learmonth is apparently doing a half.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Joining you albeit briefly OT, Kraichgau on 26 May versus Philipp (useful benchmark). Hope she has a TT/tri bike this time: she raced clip-ons on Lanzarote (early 2022) and with ?3 minutes lead at T1 was caught pretty soon by Matthews in top form.
Philipp btw races her first t100 a fortnight later: I have no idea why she's doing all these 70.3s (she needed to do two to validate for Nice and pick up a Taupo slot at the same time). Maybe a 'home race' thing, but she's also racing Roth.
https://www.tri247.com/...lympic-gold-medalist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps already discussed but after Knibb's 29.9 mph performance over the 21 mile course at the Time Trial Nationals, do you not see her as the favorite at the Olys in the triathlon??? I mean, even if she backs off to 28 mph, she will still be going about 53:30 for the bike and she should be able to drop all the other women. This should give her at least a 3 min lead which should be enough to hold off any uber runners, don't you think???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't the USA TT course only have like 4 turns, all by herself, on a TT bike? That's a bit different then lots of turns with draft packs. If the Olympic format was non drafting TT, then she'd likely do there what she does in T100 and 70.3, which is leave everyone in the dust as you said.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps already discussed but after Knibb's 29.9 mph performance over the 21 mile course at the Time Trial Nationals, do you not see her as the favorite at the Olys in the triathlon??? I mean, even if she backs off to 28 mph, she will still be going about 53:30 for the bike and she should be able to drop all the other women. This should give her at least a 3 min lead which should be enough to hold off any uber runners, don't you think??? //

Come on Eric, every single woman in that ITU triathlon could hold her wheel, no problem. It is a bike race, so the separations come from the swim, and then some tactics in the different groups. Did you watch the race last weekend?? Power and speed doesn't not drop anyone, tactics however can when accompanied by those aspects..

Just like is OW swimming, you can have 20 guys who swim a minute slower in a 1500 in a pool, all in the same pack, and often the slower pool swimmers prevail at the end. Not about brute speed, a totally different dynamic..
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Didn't the USA TT course only have like 4 turns, all by herself, on a TT bike? That's a bit different then lots of turns with draft packs. If the Olympic format was non drafting TT, then she'd likely do there what she does in T100 and 70.3, which is leave everyone in the dust as you said.

Well, perhaps all the turns and the drafting will nullify her advantage on the bike but if I were a betting man, I'd put some money on her. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Perhaps already discussed but after Knibb's 29.9 mph performance over the 21 mile course at the Time Trial Nationals, do you not see her as the favorite at the Olys in the triathlon??? I mean, even if she backs off to 28 mph, she will still be going about 53:30 for the bike and she should be able to drop all the other women. This should give her at least a 3 min lead which should be enough to hold off any uber runners, don't you think???

Speaking of uber bikers, was anyone who had completely wrote off Duffys chances of a medal in here (there was one or two) swayed by her performance the weekend to put her back in contention?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
sidelined wrote:
Joining you albeit briefly OT, Kraichgau on 26 May versus Philipp (useful benchmark). Hope she has a TT/tri bike this time: she raced clip-ons on Lanzarote (early 2022) and with ?3 minutes lead at T1 was caught pretty soon by Matthews in top form.
Philipp btw races her first t100 a fortnight later: I have no idea why she's doing all these 70.3s (she needed to do two to validate for Nice and pick up a Taupo slot at the same time). Maybe a 'home race' thing, but she's also racing Roth.
https://www.tri247.com/...lympic-gold-medalist

Wasn’t she already there for a training camp and just entered the race as part of her training.

She isn’t guaranteed funding after this Olympic cycle so this is a good move for her.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still believe! I want to see a woman go back-to-back in the Olympics in this lifetime. She said on socials that Yokohama was her first run off the bike since Abu Dhabi 2022.I hope 2.5 months of injury-free running would bring her closer to a 33 minutes 10k shape. Still that may not be enough in Paris with Potter and Beaugrand chasing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the chances of PTO/T100 picking Learmonth up on a wildcard? Don't really know how these things work, I think she could do really well.
Last edited by: Jackets: May 16, 24 19:37
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runningeconomy wrote:
I still believe! I want to see a woman go back-to-back in the Olympics in this lifetime. She said on socials that Yokohama was her first run off the bike since Abu Dhabi 2022.I hope 2.5 months of injury-free running would bring her closer to a 33 minutes 10k shape. Still that may not be enough in Paris with Potter and Beaugrand chasing.

Times not on her side I don't think, it's going to be too soon for her, if Paris was a couple of months after I could see her getting that run back and being competitive with anyone.

Think there's going to be a few girls coming off the bike with her faster and needing 30secs plus if they've gapped Potter, CB and maybe Tertsch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good complete account of the situation for GB men by Tri247:

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/british-triathlon-olympic-games-selection-paris-2024-wtcs-yokohama-cagliari

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
What's the chances of PTO/T100 picking Learmonth up on a wildcard? Don't really know how these things work, I think she could do really well.

Ryf just pulled out of the next one so there is a slot available. The problem is the travel is long and expensive. She hasn’t raced for a long time so it is a risk she might not be prepared to take.

Her 70.3 she can travel to quite cheaply from an airport less than 1 hour from her home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Ryf just pulled out of the next one so there is a slot available. The problem is the travel is long and expensive. She hasn’t raced for a long time so it is a risk she might not be prepared to take.
Her 70.3 she can travel to quite cheaply from an airport less than 1 hour from her home.
We await additional wildcard(s?) nominations. But the chances of Learmonth starting T100 SF are nil: and zero to do with whether she wants to.
1) I suspect she'd not even asked BtrTri to nominate her to the wait list (by late April).
2) She is racing her first 70.3 since early 2022 - who knows how that'll go.
3) The PTO aren't going to choose a totally unproven athlete ahead of others.
4) By the time Learmonth has raced Kraichgau on 26 May and got "a result", even an outstanding win over Philipp, any replacement wildcard(s) will have been announced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
https://www.triathlonlive.tv/...y-qualifier-huatulcoStart list: https://triathlon.org/...vent_huatulco/630338

Thank you for this post, by the way. Huatulco mixed team relay ******* SPOILERS ********

Spectacular run by Klamer to chase back Hungary after they overtook her husband and claim #2 for the Netherlands.

Norway, as Americans like to say, in a different zip code. Canada doing well until the last athlete (Jamnicky) sank the team from #2 to #4, despite a minute- wide margin. Wonder if their DQ played a role here and Jamnicky just couldn’t be damned.

Good race, bad coverage. Scant and rare info in gaps. No gap info past the finish line! Cameras missed the Klamer/Bragmayer run battle entirely - Klamer came from 11 seconds back out of T2 to beat the Hungarian by what, 15 seconds? All of it in a mile-long run.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love stats, so I have been checking all the podiums in the world series since Tokyo... this is what I found

WOMEN
Duffy: 7 podiums (5 wins)
GTB: 7 podiums (4 wins)
Potter: 6 podiums (2 wins)
Knibb: 6 podiums (1 win)
Beaugraund: 5 podiums (3 wins)
Periault: 4 podiums (1 win)
Lombardi: 4 podiums
Coldwell: 3 podiums (1 win)
Lindemann: 2 podiums (1 win)
Rappaport: 2 podiums
Spivey: 2 podiums
The rest of women were just once in the the podium
Coldwell and Rappaport will be probably out of the games...

MEN
Bergere: 9 podiums (1 win)
Wilde: 8 podiums (4 wins)
Yee: 6 podiums (5 wins)
Hauser: 4 podiums (1 win)
Luis: 3 podiums (1 win)
Geens: 3 podiums (1 win)
Vilaça: 3 podiums
Messias: 3 podiums
Conninx: 2 podiums (2 wins)
Hellwig: 2 podiums (1 win)
Le Corre: 2 podiums (1 win)
Pearson: 2 podiums (1 win)
The other men, just one podium
Bergere is 100% in the games, Luis-Le Corre-Connix for 2 spots.... Blummenfelt has just been once in the podium, in Edmonton grand final, just after the olympics.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: May 17, 24 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you have taken the data from; but not quite right I don’t think. E.g Potter won 4 races on the way to the world title last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamnicky wasn't in the relay.
Quote Reply

Prev Next