Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Maurten Bicarbonate? Eh? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should we take guesses as to what sodium source Maurten will brand and market like it's an earth-shattering revelation next?

Worth a watch if you're not familiar with the alginate, citrate, bicarb, chloride discussion:

If they choose sodium citrate next and manage to make it look new and innovative, I'll be really impressed with their marketing department.

I'll place my bets on some combo of sodium citrate and something else.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Maurten Bicarbonate? Eh? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:

FWIW Filling capsules individually by hand is quite tedious and leaves white powder all over your dorm room desk...

I'd recommend also getting the pill filling tray.

Were any of the studies that found a benefit done with enteric capsules? Because my very lay/non-expert reading of the chemistry from this survey paper sure makes it sound like the neutralization effect producing CO2 in the stomach could be central to the process, and not something to avoid. My interpretation is that the massive neutralization "effort" takes the stomach chemistry out of homeostasis, and the chain of reactions the body uses to re-achieve homeostasis temporarily improves H+ transport out of muscle cells.

The Maurten/enteric theory makes it sound like what happens in the stomach is "negative side effect," and actually reduces the efficacy due to loss. I'm not totally convinced.

While admitting that the authors of the survey paper could be either wrong, or I'm reading it incorrectly.

Thanks for the link to the paper that is interesting info. I don't think either Maurten or the paper are wrong. Maurten are good marketers, the paper is correct in that some is lost as carbon dioxide but that there is excess so it increases pH. The negative effect is gut distress from the gas produced, that is less likely at the pH of the gut. The paper explains why it may be that the release in the stomach may not be a negative.
Quote Reply

Prev Next