Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Buoyancy shorts all the time? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Are there any FOP swimmers who are actually using these on a regular basis?

It seems like the times that have been throw out in this thread are MOP at best, unless I missed a post.

I'd speculate that Coach Brett Sutton's post above being 'ok with his athletes to use PBs+paddles pretty much all the time if it gets them to swim more' is the same concept as using sim shorts all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a FOP swimmer, 21:30 for 1500 m, ~58-62 minute for IM swim distance. But everyone I train with that is faster than me (as fast as 53 min IM swimmers) never wear them for lane swim workougt. It is mostly MOP or weak swimmers that want to improve their Strava average swim paces ;-)

FYI, I have a pair and use them sometimes for really slow recovery swims, but never for quality sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Buoyancy shorts all the time? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
cloy wrote:

It seems like the times that have been throw out in this thread are MOP at best, unless I missed a post.

I'd speculate that Coach Brett Sutton's post above being 'ok with his athletes to use PBs+paddles pretty much all the time if it gets them to swim more' is the same concept as using sim shorts all the time.
By accident I ended up training the same way the Sutton suggests his swimmers do and I swim a HUGE amount with hand paddles of various sizes.Having strong shoulders helps me in rough water and,due to a very old shoulder injury,if I don't have strong shoulders my right shoulder aches like a mother during longs runs.I no longer swim with a pull buoy though as it just feels uncomfortable but instead keep my cheap ass floaty fins on and use them during what would normally be pull buoy sessions .I don't kick at all and any assistance from the fins comes from my hip rotation.
Quote Reply
Re: Buoyancy shorts all the time? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
lightheir wrote:
cloy wrote:

By accident I ended up training the same way the Sutton suggests his swimmers do and I swim a HUGE amount with hand paddles of various sizes.Having strong shoulders helps me in rough water and,due to a very old shoulder injury,if I don't have strong shoulders my right shoulder aches like a mother during longs runs.I no longer swim with a pull buoy though as it just feels uncomfortable but instead keep my cheap ass floaty fins on and use them during what would normally be pull buoy sessions .I don't kick at all and any assistance from the fins comes from my hip rotation.

I just got the Michael Phelps foam ones and have been doing the same - seems to engage the core more - and I figure that's a bonus and any slight increase in speed is fine if it's not for ego purposes. HAHA. But I find it more comfortable than the pb between the legs for sure.

Also, fins and paddles together hard has taught me a lot about core engagement and proper body positioning. And it's fun too :)

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

Of course not, FOP swimmers are swimming their 100 yd repeats leaving on 1:20, coming in at 1:08 or faster. They simply don't need the shorts. It's still always fun though to read another classic ST "pulling vs swimming" thread. They seem to come around in one version or another every 4 months or so. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Buoyancy shorts all the time? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
cloy wrote:

I swam 57min at Kona 2019, obviously no wetsuit, and regularly churn out 52min in wetsuit swims. That put my Div Rank at 15 for the swim at Kona and overall 168; I was slowed by not catching the right group and getting through the traffic from the swim waves that went in front. I think my swim is reasonably fast especially for my overall athletic ability.

And I have a secret to confess: I wear buoyancy shorts EVERY SINGLE TIME I swim. Ok. I lied. Sometimes, I even do pool swims in a wetsuit. (Swim at a fairly cold outdoor pool)

I come from a swimming background and have good technique. I swim twice a week following the program set by my coach. My technique has not fallen apart, my core as not stopped engaging, and the sky has not fallen on my swim performance.

Coming into a non wetsuit swim, I will do some work without a wetsuit just to feel it. I swim fine with or without. And I agree with others who post here, if they make you swim more, more power to you. And yes I get the perspective of swim coaches and the limitations of using buoyancy shorts for new swimmers. But these are the same people who have been telling me my whole life that I do not kick enough....but swimming FOP without kicking in a tri seems like a great idea given the source of power for the next two disciplines. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Buoyancy shorts all the time? [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tedtri wrote:
For a triathlete who owns buoyancy shorts training for a triathlon highly likely to have a wetsuit legal swim, would it make sense for them to do their pace zone structured swim workouts (i.e. all of their swims in the training plan) always wearing the buoyancy shorts?

Different take:
At local pool, today I came across an older guy doing the Anker drill for 45 mins. (Feet at 90, Torso at 45, zero kick).
Big Garmin watch, or similar.
So after we chatted a little and I volunteered some advice, suggesting to work on body position or use g do floatation help.

His response:
“You may have noticed I don’t kick, as I am a Triathlete”.

I acted impressed and suggested pull-buoy and maybe floaty shorts.

“I hate the pull-buoy and not sure if I want use floaty shorts.”

WTF?
Suffering through 45 minutes of near drowning at an agonizing slow pace just because you proud yourself of being a Trithlete?
Never gets boring.
Quote Reply

Prev Next