Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it's about indecent exposure people, how are so many of you missing this point?"

I can't vouch for where you live, but out here, "indecent exposure" gets defined as actually exposing the genetalia.

"excellent physique or not, please keep your hairy nards where the rest of us cannot see them."

Does every one in your area have x-ray vision or something? And how does the fabric of tri shorts vary so much from a speedo that it doesn't allow you to then see the "nards" as you must be able to do with a speedo.

I find this whole thing funny -- a woman can wear a tri brief, and it's no big deal. And a man wearing a speedo is NO less covered than a woman wearing a tri brief. But that's wrong, for some reason.

I don't wear a speedo because I find tri shorts more comfortable. If the reverse were true, I'd be racing in a speedo again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the best you'll get. Note that is a standard height door knob. Go look at yours and see where my leg ends.

= ^ )

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's awesome! your legs seem taller than my entire body. lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in 1987 - 1990 that was what I wore. Insport brand and a few Speedo briefs. That what was commonly worn. There was a shift to the tri suit later. Some of the run portions I wore a split running short cover (without the liner) over the briefs. I remember my last event wearing the briefs, being a different brand, I developed an uncomfortable rash from the seams while on the bike. I decided I was not going to run wearing the briefs, so I quickly changed into the split running shorts. I realized I had no liner in them. Luckily, everything stayed in for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [Road90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess ITU, some years ago dictated the rule to make all the guys and girls look similar (just talking ITU)..but if you race a local tri under the regional federation you are required to wear the same tri suit with the damn zip at the back, so in very hot days, you cook yourself (also adding the heat the leg part adds)...I will not argue about it, but in a tri out of the regional circuit, why not wearing speedos and a sleveless shirt? I have one with some rub on the chest to avoid the balloon effect..I dont know if it is permited but I will definititely give it a go along with my 80Ā“s carrera glasses and a moustable SanderĀ“s style :D

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall tri-shorts appearing in the scene in the mid 80s closely followed by the speedos then eventually back to tri-shorts and tri-suits. (Here in W. Michigan anyway).
We even had a tri-store here back then.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my short answer. If one wants to rock the Speedo look and stay fully competitive, all is well for them. Their is some advantage in the swim with a full tri suit. It just someone to win in a major wearing the briefs to make a real statement for natural body development structure over clothing aids advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [Road90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road90 wrote:
Back in 1987 - 1990 that was what I wore. Insport brand and a few Speedo briefs. That what was commonly worn. There was a shift to the tri suit later. Some of the run portions I wore a split running short cover (without the liner) over the briefs. I remember my last event wearing the briefs, being a different brand, I developed an uncomfortable rash from the seams while on the bike. I decided I was not going to run wearing the briefs, so I quickly changed into the split running shorts. I realized I had no liner in them. Luckily, everything stayed in for the run.

You must have set a necro record here.

I don't run in Speedos because I'm a grower, not a shower.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The height of the TRI speedo generation, was when Kenny Souza made it to the cover of runners world magazine with his glam-rock star hair running up a sweat with wearing nothing more than a fluro yellow mankini speedo , six pack and Oakley razorblades. And he didn't even swim as a duathlete!

The turning point was when triathlon wanted to get into the Olympics, all the extra rules came in....everyone had to wear the same kiwami, couldn't pull the zip down half way, couldn't show navel or run topless down the street for public decency etc. For better or worse triathlon grew up a bit to get on Olympic tv
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
The height of the TRI speedo generation, was when Kenny Souza made it to the cover of runners world magazine with his glam-rock star hair running up a sweat with wearing nothing more than a fluro yellow mankini speedo , six pack and Oakley razorblades. And he didn't even swim as a duathlete!

The turning point was when triathlon wanted to get into the Olympics, all the extra rules came in....everyone had to wear the same kiwami, couldn't pull the zip down half way, couldn't show navel or run topless down the street for public decency etc. For better or worse triathlon grew up a bit to get on Olympic tv

I think to just blame the disappearance of speedos on federations and orgs isnā€™t the real story.
I think as the sport was in its infancy, we were considered some freaks you better didnā€™t bother with a dress code.

Once the sport got more mainstream, there was direct and outspoken pressure to conform to social norms, including ā€˜covering upā€™. Especially as the sport took off in more prudish societies such as us.
So as sponsors and families became more involved, there was more pressure to cover up, and then orgs came out with hard rules to avoid public conflict.
I was once asked/offered to wear running shorts during a race in rural Americaā€¦. good times.
Last edited by: windschatten: Jun 5, 21 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was legendary when Lance returned to triathlon in 2012 with the budgie smugglers.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Was legendary when Lance returned to triathlon in 2012 with the budgie smugglers.

Yeah, there was no better way to make the statement: ā€˜fvck all of you!ā€™.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:

I think to just blame the disappearance of speedos on federations and orgs isnā€™t the real story.
I think as the sport was in its infancy, we were considered some freaks you better didnā€™t bother with a dress code.

Once the sport got more mainstream, there was direct and outspoken pressure to conform to social norms, including ā€˜covering upā€™. Especially as the sport took off in more prudish societies such as us.
So as sponsors and families became more involved, there was more pressure to cover up, and then orgs came out with hard rules to avoid public conflict.
I was once asked/offered to wear running shorts during a race in rural Americaā€¦. good times.

Good times indeed. I never gave it much thought about it at the time. You just wore the suit during the event. I never had and bad comments from and spectators. I remember a couple of families come up and ask how their teens could get started in the sport afterwards. That said, later on I noticed at one time, if their were media and or their sponsors around, someone was giving out running shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sun protection
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

The memory made me smile. My buddies and I always wore Speedos... just like the ā€œBig Four.ā€ I distinctly recall thinking ā€œKenny Sousa doesnā€™t even swim.ā€ I also noticed that he rode an Airborne Spectre, so I went out and bought one! Still ride it today... a M60-64 with pants :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always felt a little strange running in midtown Manhattan wearing a Speedo, knowing the next day I would be back there in a three piece suit, walking those same streets to work.

The New York City tri, mid 80's.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

No slam against you personally, but why then does the olympics allow swimmers to wear speedos?
Quote Reply
Re: Why did you all quit running in Speedos? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I was going to say that it was because swimmers aren't running down the street, but then I thought of Paula radcliffes marathon suit. While female athletics embraced speedo style shorts, there were never many male counterparts. Olympic prudishness is kind of funny since the Greeks used to do athletics naked
Quote Reply

Prev Next