Zwift Ride Indoor Bike

Zwift made an indoor bike!

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/06/zwift-ride-indoor-bike-review-future.html

In my case, I tested bottles, phones, and donuts. Sorry pizza, just didn’t work out:
https://media.dcrainmaker.com/images/2024/06/DSC_1739.jpg
Donuts however, did work out perfectly fine. Be aware though that you should consume the donut in the early portion of your trainer session, to avoid a sweat-filled donut hole. Nobody wants a sweaty hole. Albeit, the Zwift Ride removable silicone tray does have a sweat drainage ditch at the bottom.

Bonus points to Ray for wedging that line in there. Wonder how long he’s been trying to get that zinger into a review?

This was the great (and somewhat expected) followup to the Zwift Hub. As soon as that came out, pairing it with a cheap fixie bike and the play controllers could give you a cheap, dedicated smartbike.

Looks like it’s executed well, and they didn’t go crazy on the pricepoint. The two obvious changes I’d like to see are bearclaw crakarms (for different crank lengths) and a wider base for that front fork/post.

I love the idea.

It seems perfect for those households with more than 1 rider with the quick-adjust.

Would also work great for a single rider who wants to avoid getting sweat all over the headset and front, which can lead to heavy damage if not cleaned.

I will add however, that the Kickr with the Zwift cog (the trainer part of the bike) works so well with virtual shifting and ease of bike on/off the trainer that you probably don’t ‘need’ the Zwift bike as it’s a piece of cake to get the bike on/off and have the virtual shifts perfect even between bikes. I’ve been quite impressed with the Zwift cog after coming from Kickr gen 1, where I was constantly battling 10 vs 11spd differences in bikes and having small errant shift problems bewtween the Kickr’s cassette and my normal road wheel cassettes.

$1299.99 all-in with the Wahoo trainer is quite an attractive price!

I’d hope there is a later option for a TT bar rig to swap in place of the drop bars. For that I’d also hope that whole center console deal is removeable because that’s right where your arms might go in TT sep.

It uses a 31.8 stem clamp, so you there are a lot of aftermarket cockpit options; or you can just add a clipon aerobar to the supplied drop bar (probably a better idea given the zwift play brifters that are part of the setup).

Agreed - if I didn’t already have a smart bike - this would be an instant buy for me at this price. There are a few shortcomings but compared to what I paid for my stages and the current prices of smart bike this is very reasonable.

I’m not sure its aimed at AG’ers of triathlon thou, as like you mention the cockpit issues and the single crank size - but its a good start

I wonder when the first hacks will appear that turn the fork into a “climb” fork, i.e. that it extends up and down.

I’m not sure its aimed at AG’ers of triathlon thou, as like you mention the cockpit issues and the single crank size - but its a good start

I think it’s aimed at the exact opposite, people that may not even have bikes. My take is that by now anyone that rides road has pretty much already got a trainer since covid era. This is a plug and play system that is for new to cycling or families where perhaps one cycles and the other is a gym/rat or casual fitness person. The bike is setup to avoid the faffing with gears.

Personally I hate the idea of the zwift cog as I use the Neo to tune / confirm shifting before riding IRL. But as I say, I’m not the use case. I have an old road frame and an old TT frame that generally live on my trainer, and then when checking fit changes, or in build up to key races if weather really shitty outside I’ll put the race bike on for the long saturday ride. And yes, this does mean swapping cassettes and even between QR and through axle but thats less than 5 mins.

I think it’s aimed at the exact opposite, people that may not even have bikes. My take is that by now anyone that rides road has pretty much already got a trainer since covid era. This is a plug and play system that is for new to cycling or families where perhaps one cycles and the other is a gym/rat or casual fitness person. The bike is setup to avoid the faffing with gears.

Personally I hate the idea of the zwift cog as I use the Neo to tune / confirm shifting before riding IRL. But as I say, I’m not the use case. I have an old road frame and an old TT frame that generally live on my trainer, and then when checking fit changes, or in build up to key races if weather really shitty outside I’ll put the race bike on for the long saturday ride. And yes, this does mean swapping cassettes and even between QR and through axle but thats less than 5 mins.

so competing against peloton? figure the price would be attractive if so.

Makes sense. Zwift will only succeed as a business if they can pull in the non-cycling crowd.

It uses a 31.8 stem clamp, so you there are a lot of aftermarket cockpit options; or you can just add a clipon aerobar to the supplied drop bar (probably a better idea given the zwift play brifters that are part of the setup).

I mean with all the buttons because with the one-cog I think you’d need that for shifting?

I agree that given TTers tend to be snowflakes with our own particular TT setup that’d be hard to accomodate with a single generic solution that maybe the ideal would be for Wahoo/Zwift to sell etap-blip-like wireless buttons you could just easily clip onto whatever bars you wanted.

Clip-ons would be easy (that center console notwithstanding) but I’d still want the “blips” because reaching for the drops to shift would be annoying.

I’m just speaking as someone who forces himself to be in the TT position whenever I Zwift just to get more hours in that position. Except in all-out races.

Shouldn’t be that hard to get virtual shifting from the TT bars. I’ve ran a piece of pvc pipe zip tied between the bars and mounted a Zwift click there and it works fine

I’ve ran a piece of pvc pipe zip tied between the bars

https://media3.giphy.com/media/e4Jyxh9zQjgnC/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95268hk1ctw9a6jetoi5w43anqz0wul3ceow37axh5n&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Kidding…have done things like that…I’d just hope for a neater solution eventually.

I use the same thing on the outdoor bike with a Garmin edge remote. Allows me to toggle through menus and use lap function without coming out of aero.

This is such a great idea. Two months ago, I finally snagged a nice Fuji Roubaix 2.0 of the marketplace for $200. Took forever finding a good value on a used bike. I was able to take my high-end gravel bike off the Kickr. If I hadn’t found this used bike, I would 100% purchase this Ride.

As laseranimal mentioned, a zwift click can easily be mounted on aerobars. They could even make a barend mount fairly easily (doubt they will though, so just hack it).

The issue atm is that they don’t offer the click as a stand alone item. They should either do this or throw one in with the bike.

As laseranimal mentioned, a zwift click can easily be mounted on aerobars. They could even make a barend mount fairly easily (doubt they will though, so just hack it).

The issue atm is that they don’t offer the click as a stand alone item. They should either do this or throw one in with the bike.

Yes they do!!!

https://us.zwift.com/collections/all/products/zwift-click-virtual-shifter?variant=43859765297408

$39.99!!

My wife says its the best investment I’ve ever made because now she doesn’t wake up when I’m riding the Kickr late at night because there’s no sounds from the bike shifting

Good to know! They didn’t at the Hub launch; didn’t know they added it.

I’d hope there is a later option for a TT bar rig to swap in place of the drop bars. For that I’d also hope that whole center console deal is removeable because that’s right where your arms might go in TT sep.

Have any of you guys seen it in real world operations. How is the single strut replacement for a front wheel (as in, what surface does it mate well with). Does it work OK on a hard floor. Does it come with 170mm cranks standard?