Settlers of Catan
Scrabble
Parcheesi
Sorry
Phase 10
Spite and Malice

We have a Limited Edition of Scrabble from Borders, featuring *The Simpsons *

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/The_Simpsons_Scrabble

Not only is cheating allowed (by use of special tiles) but also encouraged and rewarded

Recent games:
Wingspan
Seven Wonders
Kings Domino

I discovered Yahtzee last year… must try if you haven’t

Trivial pursuit
Scrabble
Monopoly
Ticket to ride
Cards against humanity (purchased prior to being cancelled)

Catan: Cities and Knights

Charlie Brown Christmas game. It’s absurd and fun to play with kids.

Otrio

Cards against humanity (purchased prior to being cancelled)

We played this once on New Year’s Eve with my dad. That was pretty funny.

Euchre
Cribbage
Scotland Yard
Monopoly
Stratego

We have a Limited Edition of Scrabble from Borders, featuring *The Simpsons *

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/The_Simpsons_Scrabble

Not only is cheating allowed (by use of special tiles) but also encouraged and rewarded

Interesting. I picked up a Simpsons version of Clue from the local thrift store. Have not yet played it.

Spades. Prefer playing single vs teams.

Sequence.
Risk.

Quiddler - if you’re a word nerd you need to check this out. We had a panic over Christmas 2022 as we thought we’d lost it. It’s a must for all our family gatherings

Wingspan
Carcassone
Screw your neighbour (like Wizard but with a regular deck of cards)
Wizard
Crib
Racing demons (speed card game somewhat like speed solitaire)

Spite and Malice

We used to play this with my Grandparents. Aside from the fact that we often called it Spike and Mallots (we were a pun/word nerd family) I don’t remember much about it. I’d it a trick taking game? I think it might be like Screw Your Neighbour, although my Grandmother would have been horrified at that name!

Quiddler - if you’re a word nerd you need to check this out. We had a panic over Christmas 2022 as we thought we’d lost it. It’s a must for all our family gatherings

Wingspan
Carcassone
Screw your neighbour (like Wizard but with a regular deck of cards)
Wizard
Crib
Racing demons (speed card game somewhat like speed solitaire)

I grew up playing that regularly. I was pretty good at it, at least among my family. It’s interesting how I got progressively worse at it as I got older. It was one of the clearest markers of my brain slowing down.

The kids don’t know any card games (yet) but we’ve got them playing Monopoly, Sorry, and Chess to get them off their phones and games. The “Family Feud” game is pretty fun, and there’s also a math game we keep in the trailer that they like, I think it’s called Prime or something like that.

For cards back in Wisconsin we almost always played Euchre. When we went to Grandma’s house in Iowa it was always Spades. My mom plays Hearts on the computer all the time, as well as Solitare.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned pinochle. It’s a great card game imo because it’s played in teams. I have some fond memories playing with the grandparents.

Poker, Blackjack

Agreed on Ticket to Ride…especially the Europe version (and played the “simple” way without the ferries/stations/tunnels…it just goes a bit quicker).

Would also suggest cribbage, which I saw mentioned a few times already.

A friend of mine has a “library” of board games - he has a room with bookcases all around filled with them, including every known version of Ticket To Ride

He has a JAWS board game that I wanted for Xmas; one player is the shark, and there are boats/players they chase around the island

D’Kid got a game called Poetry For Neanderthals (created by Matt Inman, who does The Oatmeal comics and invented The Blerch). Unfortunately, it’s a team game, and there’s only three of us, so we haven’t played it yet

Spite and Malice

We used to play this with my Grandparents. Aside from the fact that we often called it Spike and Mallots (we were a pun/word nerd family) I don’t remember much about it. I’d it a trick taking game? I think it might be like Screw Your Neighbour, although my Grandmother would have been horrified at that name!

I don’t remember how to play it, but that was one of our staples in college.

Cribbage is the go to game now.

A friend of mine has a “library” of board games - he has a room with bookcases all around filled with them, including every known version of Ticket To Ride

For years my wife would get games for the family for Christmas. We have cupboards filled with them. Most of them rarely played, some not even opened. Ticket to Ride was one of the few that we played regularly. I think we only have two versions of it.