Yet again, Dry July!

As I age my life long habits of coffee, working out, eating well and drinking alcohol with moderation are still with me, the alcohol part seems to be fading. I sleep better and just feel better minus the alcohol. So I have for several years done Dr. Cupcakes dry January challenge and last year did “Dry July”. The challenge with last year was a week long mountain biking and camping trip with several friends. At the end of the day they were celebrating our ride, the day and our friendship with beers. I had a supply of Athletic beer, NA, with me which I consumed and I had just as good as a time with them.

The challenge I have this year is a three day celebration of my nieces wedding. Plus going to my sister’s in Tennessee with a friend on our motorcycles since she lives 20 miles from the start of Tail of the Dragon. My sister and brother in law like to live it up. On the positive side I get to take my new to me BMW F800GS thru it’s paces while my Harley sits at home.

Dry July anyone? I’m in!

…and I thought this was the opposing viewpoint to the “Fishes” thread…

I’m in. Doing it to help in my training for an August 70.3

I spent about 20 years from mid 20s to mid 40s ‘dry’ - I wasn’t actively abstaining, I just didn’t bother drinking alcohol. Last 5 years or so then I’ve limited drinking to ‘nice’ wine, normally red, and the odd cocktail here and there.

This year ‘dry july’ is going to be really easy - about to have a heart procedure, still off work following my stroke, and I am acutely aware of the way my brain is working overtime to remap which makes me not want to add to the challenges as I feel (probably wrongly) that every night I don’t sleep well is a reconnection that could have been made that I’ll miss out on for rest of life.

I never understood and will never understand why to not take drugs is “something special” and has to be mentioned and celebrated at all. To me that is like saying “In July I will not hit myself with a hammer on my head”.
Just wondering …

I have had too many concussions to drink anymore. Functional blackouts have scared me off that old life. I have a bottle or red wine my neighbor gave me for Christmas still sitting on a shelf in my kitchen. Dry July will roll on from dry June and dry May and dry April,etc,etc,etc

I have had too many concussions to drink anymore. Functional blackouts have scared me off that old life. I have a bottle or red wine my neighbor gave me for Christmas still sitting on a shelf in my kitchen. Dry July will roll on from dry June and dry May and dry April,etc,etc,etc

for me: dry 2023, dry 2022, … could go back till 1959 but that would be a lie because I remember I was drunk on new years eve 1974 or 1975 can’t remember exactly but absolutey, totally dry since then.