Xlab gorilla cage behind the saddle

Hola guys!

The Xlab Gorilla is widely recommended as the bottle cage of choice for triathlons (because it grips, no IT GRIPS). For instance, Wove Saddle recommends using it with their saddles. However, it is hard to get the bottle out of it even while standing next to the bike, let alone reaching for it while riding.

Is there anyone who can do it successfully? Is there a video of anyone doing it while riding?

Try twisting the bottle when removing from the cage. I use the Xlab gorilla cage with the Aero Pouch 300 and I have never worried about launching a bottle, but I have to twist the bottle to remove.

Honestly, I have never had a problem removing a bottle from that cage no matter where it’s located. And yes, I have a behind the seat carrier. It is a strange angle to pull out a bottle, but not the cage’s fault.

What bottles are you using?

I’m using whatever I have handy, it does not really matter.
Recently tried with polar bottles

Even with twisting it is not easy.
I’m probably doing it wrong somehow

edit: I just double checked - I have xlab gorilla XT, which has more grip over regular gorilla

I know it doesn’t help you now, but we are releasing our own cage largely for this issue: to make entry and exit of the bottle easier, while the cage is secure and made for upside down mounting, and holds normal and narrow on course bottles securely. We need to wrap our current project and then we’ll do this. Rudy and West have been using this cage for a while now.

Thanks Nick, I’ll be the first to buy it.

I installed your saddle last night and did a quick ride on it this this morning. I’ll be going for a longer ride tomorrow, but so far I love it.

What works is use a little bit of bodyglide rubbed inside the cage. Over time it will wear out but still it is much easier to pull out the bottle but still they don’t launch.

Jeroen

To the OP, the Polar bottles seem to be the hardest to get out of the Gorilla cage at the BTS location on the Wove. I’ve used a few of the specialized/generic bike shop branded bottles and they seem to work better.

Definitely looking forward to checking out the Wove specific cage, Nick.

I suspect your bottles are slightly textured, and maybe a little oversized. The standard purist bottles, especially if they’re a little glossy should come out a lot easier.

To the OP, the Polar bottles seem to be the hardest to get out of the Gorilla cage at the BTS location on the Wove. I’ve used a few of the specialized/generic bike shop branded bottles and they seem to work better.

Definitely looking forward to checking out the Wove specific cage, Nick.

Agreed on the Polar bottles - the groove on those 30oz bottles is super deep, so it stays in the cage. We’re moving to a 33oz Elite Fly bottle next month, which will come out easier, doesn’t leak, and has the best mouth piece of any bottle and comes apart for cleaning easily.

For some reason my wife launches bottles like they are going out of style so I put xlab gorilla XT cages on both our minouras. Haven’t launched a bottle since. I had a little trouble putting the bottles back in the cages while riding but learned to put the bottom corner in first and then it goes in with no trouble. As someone else mentioned, a little twist and a hard pull gets any bottle out. I’m using a mix including polar bottles and they are all about the same.

I installed your saddle last night and did a quick ride on it this this morning. I’ll be going for a longer ride tomorrow, but so far I love it.

If you use Woves retention loop then you shouldn’t need a gorilla cage?

The XLab Chimp cage has been my go to. No ejections yet and a bit easier to get the bottle out without having to strain

Not solving your problem completely, but maybe a tip to consider:
I use Xlabs Gorillas: one between my arms and another one behind my saddle.

In racing: Drink/sip from the bottle between your arms, until its empty, then toss that bottle (at a legal place obv), then put the bottle from behind the seat and put it between your arms and drink from that. Toss that and pick up two fresh bottles from an aid station (or special needs bag)

For me, that limits your issue to inserting a bottle behind the seat once, and taking out twice, even for an Ironman race.

Seems a nobrainer and maybe you are already doing this. But I see so many ride partners using behind the seat bottle for drinking, which causes a heck more troubles.

Just my 2c

Hola guys!

The Xlab Gorilla is widely recommended as the bottle cage of choice for triathlons (because it grips, no IT GRIPS). For instance, Wove Saddle recommends using it with their saddles. However, it is hard to get the bottle out of it even while standing next to the bike, let alone reaching for it while riding.

Is there anyone who can do it successfully? Is there a video of anyone doing it while riding?

If you use Woves retention loop then you shouldn’t need a gorilla cage?

Yes, if using the retention loop, you don’t need a super tight cage

Yes, that’s what I’m doing too. Even in training I mix nutrition in two bottles, when one is empty I just swap them.