WTF Ford?

Performance Upgrade Available for Ranger, Bronco Raptors; Raptor Rally Attendees Get Discount 

DEARBORN, MI, August 29, 2024 – Ford engineers have delivered significant low-end torque and horsepower improvements to the 3.0-liter EcoBoost® engine in the Ranger Raptor and Bronco Raptor thanks to a new software calibration from Ford Performance Parts.
Ranger Raptor: Torque jumps from 430 to 536 lb.-ft., while horsepower increases from 405 to 455
Bronco Raptor: Torque increases from 440 to 536 lb.-ft. and horsepower climbs from 418 to 455
The upgrades are available for 2024 Ranger Raptor and 2023 and 2024 Bronco Raptors and allow for improved throttle response and an optimized shift schedule, resulting in a more powerful driving experience. The MSRP is listed at  $825 and can be purchased using Ford Pass Rewards points.

If the vehicle has that much extra power why do we need some kit to unlock it… especially an official manufacturer kit? Also claims that it could increase fuel efficiency.

That would give my Ranger Raptor more HP and torque than the F-150 Raptor.

Yes, I ordered one. 😁

What are “Ford Pass reward points?” Are people buying Fords often enough to need a frequent buyer rewards program? Like buying coffee at Starbucks?

What are “Ford Pass reward points?” Are people buying Fords often enough to need a frequent buyer rewards program? Like buying coffee at Starbucks?

Points for dollars spent at the dealership service department?

Points for dollars spent at the dealership service department?

Bingo

Decades ago, I worked for a company that made and sold computer systems (hardware & software) to the legal industry. The servers had storage options of 300Mb (I said it was a long time ago!) or 600Mb. If a customer wanted to upgrade from the smaller to the larger, a tech was dispatched to their office to effect the change: flipping a switch. Yeah, all systems were shipped with the 600Mb disk.

Is this a new subscription model for cars and trucks? We’ll give you more performance out of the same equipment but you need to pay for the Ford subscription.

Is this a new subscription model for cars and trucks? We’ll give you more performance out of the same equipment but you need to pay for the Ford subscription.

It’s not a subscription thing in this particular instance. The tuning comes loaded on this calibration tool and gets installed somehow.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/images/part/1000x1000/M-12655-F.JPG

Decades ago, I worked for a company that made and sold computer systems (hardware & software) to the legal industry. The servers had storage options of 300Mb (I said it was a long time ago!) or 600Mb. If a customer wanted to upgrade from the smaller to the larger, a tech was dispatched to their office to effect the change: flipping a switch. Yeah, all systems were shipped with the 600Mb disk.

Not much different than cloud services today. It’s all available right under our noses, just pony up the money and voila, it’s all yours.

With it being turbo and not supercharged they have used electronic boost controllers for decades in turbo vehicles.

Literally all these tunes do is advance ignition timing and increase the boost accordingly in the cpu’s map. The OEM fuel maps often can even handle it. Aftermarket sometimes requires a larger fuel rail pressure regulator or inline addition of extra fuel pump to bump the pressure.

I got out of the tuner scene once the gubt went after shops that sold the tunes that ignored a few emissions components. Not catalysts as I used one but stupid evap system errors or stuff.

I just watched a video on how to install the tune. Plug the gizmo I pictured above into the OBD port, upload the new tune that is pre-installed on said gizmo, click install on gizmo screen, wait for it to install, done.

Takes a few minutes and requires zero skill.

Doing that myself will void the warranty. I need to have the dealership do that to avoid warranty issues. Apparently, I need to pay them $200 or whatever for them to do something a seven year old could figure out.

Let me read that statement to you by what they really mean…

“Hey guys, we’ve been purposefully throttling your Ford trucks but if you give us $825 we’ll allow you to use the full potential of the vehicle. Oh hey, did you hear that BMW was going to charge a monthly fee for heated seats? What a scam that is, amirite?”

Why do you need more power. Presumably gas mileage goes down. My Toyota Tundra has an optional 4.6 vs the 5.7. It get a few miles more per gallon. Since I don’t tow anything heavy why wouldn’t I.

I just watched a video on how to install the tune. Plug the gizmo I pictured above into the OBD port, upload the new tune that is pre-installed on said gizmo, click install on gizmo screen, wait for it to install, done.

Takes a few minutes and requires zero skill.

Doing that myself will void the warranty. I need to have the dealership do that to avoid warranty issues. Apparently, I need to pay them $200 or whatever for them to do something a seven year old could figure out.

Mountune will do the same for my FiST with the Ford warranty (if I still had one on a 10 year old car).

The same part (Ford’s ecoboost controller) is sold for Mustangs too. Ford has been selling performance parts for Mustangs that don’t void warranties for decades (and a lot of parts that do void warranties :wink: )

Why do you need more power. Presumably gas mileage goes down. My Toyota Tundra has an optional 4.6 vs the 5.7. It get a few miles more per gallon. Since I don’t tow anything heavy why wouldn’t I.

There are reports of similar Ford Performance tunings actually increasing miles per gallon. That was for non-Raptor Broncos and Rangers. Nobody has any real world experience with these new Raptor tunings since they aren’t out yet. Even if it’s not an increase in fuel efficiency, there’s likely little to no decrease.

As to the first question… WHY NOT? I get a 12-13% increase in HP and a 25% increase in torque for $650. Those numbers make it more powerful than its bigger brother F-150 Raptor. Who doesn’t want a bigger dick? 😜

There are reports of similar Ford Performance tunings actually increasing miles per gallon. That was for non-Raptor Broncos and Rangers. Nobody has any real world experience with these new Raptor tunings since they aren’t out yet. Even if it’s not an increase in fuel efficiency, there’s likely little to no decrease.

As to the first question… WHY NOT? I get a 12-13% increase in HP and a 25% increase in torque for $650. Those numbers make it more powerful than its bigger brother F-150 Raptor. Who doesn’t want a bigger dick? 😜

Bolded - no sh-t. Makes me think I might want a Raptor Ranger for a toy…

Who knew they made a Ranger Raptor.

Can I retro-Raptor-fit my Festiva?

In some cases, tunes can improve gas mileage along with the additional power benefits.

There are similar tunes available for the Tundra… check out Overland Tailor, for one. Apparently they even code them in such a way that they don’t pop up on dealer scans and raise warranty questions.

Exactly. Similar tunings done to the non-Raptor Rangers and Broncos saw a mpg improvement. No guarantee that will hold true for the Raptor variants but even if there’s a decrease it would be probably be a tiny hit to mpg. They optimize timing and gearing with these tunes which often leads to better efficiency even with the huge increase in power.

I paid $650 for the tuning and module after a Labor Day discount. That’s not a lot of money for a 50 HP and 106 lb.-feet torque improvement. A 455 HP and 536 lb.-feet torque powertrain on a midsize pickup is A LOT. The Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado/Canyon Bison/AT4X literally aren’t in the same universe.

Once again, $650 for a tune that will make the Ranger Raptor likely dust the F-150 Raptor. Take my money! :money_mouth_face:

UGh, tried to follow this thread, but this new format does not work on my browser well at all. (Opera if anyone cares)
Tunes as they are often called, have in the past been the tool of the aftermarket. Very VERY common, tuners had all kinds of custom tunes or you could buy generic tunes.

OEM’s have to make compromise’s for EPA / Warranty / limited testing / Tire wear etc. So its not uncommon that tuners find better sweet spot cals for how they want to drive the car. Even things like smoother shifting, or harsher shifting is all in the tune. A tune would void your warranty so lots of folks waited till the warranty ended. There has no been lawsuits against Tunners for OEM’s and last I saw it was a shrinking dieing market.

Looks like FORD is just stepping into a new revenue stream. The odd part of your announcement is it implies there is no downside to the tune. I find that hard to believe. The increased fuel economy could be telling. In the industry there is actually 2 MPG’s discussed during vehicle development, EPA MPG and Realworld MPG. Often there were things that could be done to improve real world but hurt EPA (which is the only one that matters to the feds) There were things that cost money that might improve real world but not epa (so programs had to decide if it was worth it to add cost and not get a percieved value, but get a real value.). After market parts do not get considered in EPA numbers. And you can control volume enough to not put it into the mix that gets used for EPA testing.

So it might be the tune, improves real world while hurting or not impacting EPA numbers (depending on where the tune falls in EPA rules for options that have to be tested)

I bought a canned tune for my Sky, better shits, more power. Easy to do but you needed a laptop, looks like Ford is giving you the interface? Surprising as that would add cost, and you just need a cable and software in your pc.

And yes, most if not all OEM’s have some sort of points reward system, GM you get points even for purchases of new cars, along with money spent in dealerships. I don’t spend money in service garage, but every 2 or 3 leases, I end up with enough points to buy the winter matt’s or some accessory we want for the car.

Tuning was “installed” by the dealer this morning. I prepped everything for them so all they needed to do was push a button. It took under seven minutes to upload and install.

Dealership was awesome about it and didn’t charge me.

Obviously not a lot of miles on it but gas mileage is showing a slight improvement. A little less than half a mpg.