WTCS Hamburg (1)

Start lists are up

These WTCS start lists can change in funny ways, but the top 4 British women are a surprise, as is Spivey, Tertsch, Lombardi, Beaugrand… I really thought Hamburg would be a B race two weeks before the Olympics.

On the men’s side, Hauser, Yee, Pearson, Vilaca, Le Corre… so a bit less stacked with top Olympic hopefuls.

These WTCS start lists can change in funny ways, but the top 4 British women are a surprise, as is Spivey, Tertsch, Lombardi, Beaugrand… I really thought Hamburg would be a B race two weeks before the Olympics.

On the men’s side, Hauser, Yee, Pearson, Vilaca, Le Corre… so a bit less stacked with top Olympic hopefuls.

many of them will be subbed out.

many of them will be subbed out.

for sure, for example Laura Lindemann has already said on instagram she’s not racing, yet she’s still in the start list

The race is in 5 days, and Waugh, Potter, Beaugrand, Lombardi are still on the start list, as are Pearson, Hauser, Willian, Le Corre (plus Luis) and Villaca, plus a crowd of less prominent Olympic names.

Maybe Ajax_Bay has written another triathlon PhD, this time on the World Tri start list update schedules, and could chime in?

You are thinking of @Brooks who is (was) heavily into that sort of short course shenanigans. He is taking a sabbatical 'coz busy.

I was thinking about you. And yeah, I meant that as you being a “deputy Brooks” 😉

Although I suspect pk and Sheridantris and a few others also know more about the process than I do…

I was thinking about you. And yeah, I meant that as you being a “deputy Brooks” 😉

Although I suspect pk and Sheridantris and a few others also know more about the process than I do…

I am working in an Olympic holding camp so a bit stretched but will have a look this evening if I have time.

Not sure what you mean by top four British women. Maybe potter and Waugh?

start list usualy comes out monday closet to 4 weeks before race till friday you can withdraw which is why you should ignore startlists in first week.

after that it gets more complicated if you go off a starting list after monday ie 8 days or whateverthat is in theory you are automatically removed for all start and waiting lists for next 30 days from the day of withdrawel
but there is a cavet **each federation gets a certain amount of jokers but they have to call them they are not done automatically **
so big nation can do about 8 to 10 athlete withdrawls a year without penalty smaller nation might only have 2 to 6 .

meaning chances are high athtles on the start-list will race and usually only a injured athelte will withdraw.

and you can not replace an athlete after friday with another atheltes of the same fed, it goes through waiting list

ps above 80 percent sure this would not affect the oly games since there is no start list on world tri page .

its somewhere in the appendix of world triathlon competition rule book

Thanks!

I suspect pk and Sheridantris and a few others also know more about the process than I do…
Start list usually comes out Monday closest to 4 weeks before race; till Friday you can withdraw which is why you should ignore start lists in first week.
it’s somewhere in the appendix of world triathlon competition rule bookWhich is here:
https://www.triathlon.org/uploads/docs/World-Triathlon_Competition-Rules_2024_20240416.pdf
Appx E at p145 of 208 - enjoy!

I am working in an Olympic holding camp so a bit stretched but will have a look this evening if I have time.

Georgia Taylor-Brown on Instagram yesterday: “One week to go before moving onto our holding camp!” Is a holding camp like a “post-training” camp and which one are you in?

Anyway, maybe I can do better than the bottom 10% this time…

my-picks.png

Is a “holding camp” just another name for a “training camp”??? Google leads me to think this but never comes right out and says so. :slight_smile:

Is a “holding camp” just another name for a “training camp”??? Google leads me to think this but never comes right out and says so. :slight_smile:

A holding camp is a variation of a training camp. It’s for the final period into a major race, possibly to be in the correct time zone or climate as the actual race. It can also just be a way of being away from distractions such as media, family etc. in the final lead up. More of a tapering camp than a training camp.

A holding camp is a variation of a training camp. It’s for the final period into a major race, possibly to be in the correct time zone or climate as the actual race. It can also just be a way of being away from distractions such as media, family etc. in the final lead up. More of a tapering camp than a training camp.

Ah, tapering camp that makes beaucoup sense. Thanks!!!

I am working in a holding camp at the moment.

It is basically a training type camp but normally organised by the NGB or Olympic Committee depending on how each country is made up. Generally it is the last couple of weeks before the games but Southern Hemisphere athletes tend to arrive a bit earlier to adjust to time zones.

Most of the horses for the equestrian arrive early as well so it really does depend.

EDIT: The guy in charge here just described it as a finishing school, where you polish your diamonds!

It is basically a training type camp but normally organised by the NGB or Olympic Committee depending on how each country is made up. Generally it is the last couple of weeks before the games but Southern Hemisphere athletes tend to arrive a bit earlier to adjust to time zones.

Most of the horses for the equestrian arrive early as well so it really does depend.

EDIT: The guy in charge here just described it as a finishing school, where you polish your diamonds!

He likes to feel important clearly :slight_smile:

It’s all good as long as the coaches keep their jewels away from the athletes!

Back on topic, World Tri has a preview of the women’s and men’s race.

He likes to feel important clearly :slight_smile:

He is the most down to earth guy I have ever met in my life. I really didn’t know what to expect when I took the job, I was fearful of being treated like a servant and expected to work 18 hours a day, but it couldn’t be further from the truth. Every single person I have met so far has been humble, grateful and polite.

Back to the actual race!

1. Potter

2. Lombardi

3. Beaugrand

4. Hauser

5. Geens

6. Luis