Which new TT frameset?

…having been away from timetrialling for a few years, now looking to make a full gas return in 2025 with a “no compromise, no expense spared” bike and optimisation program, targeting UCI GF Worlds 2026 in Japan.

But I’m somewhat out of date with the pros and cons of the various frame options and looking now for some expert guidance from this forum of knowledgeable people to begin to steer me in the right direction. Frame must be UCI compliant.

Will probably choose a frameset only and then go with either an Aerocoach, or Wattshop cockpit with either Zipp, or Aerocoach wheels.

At this stage my best options (subject to suitable geometry and bike fit) appear to be:

2025 Cervelo P5
Pinarello Bolide
Specialized Shiv - but seems nearly impossible to procure
Colnago TT1

Any options missing from this list?

In what order would you rank the options?

Many thanks in advance.

…having been away from timetrialling for a few years, now looking to make a full gas return in 2025 with a “no compromise, no expense spared” bike and optimisation program, targeting UCI GF Worlds 2026 in Japan.

But I’m somewhat out of date with the pros and cons of the various frame options and looking now for some expert guidance from this forum of knowledgeable people to begin to steer me in the right direction. Frame must be UCI compliant.

Will probably choose a frameset only and then go with either an Aerocoach, or Wattshop cockpit with either Zipp, or Aerocoach wheels.

At this stage my best options (subject to suitable geometry and bike fit) appear to be:

2025 Cervelo P5
Pinarello Bolide
Colnago TT1

Many thanks in advance.

You say “bike and optimisation program”. You are a lucky guy. It is a fun process. I went through 2 cycles last year with the guy that ended up winning the 65AG Worlds. 7 days of optimization. We did not do bikes for that one but everything else from tires, wheels, suits, helmets, and of course position. Then we did another cycle for an hour record prerp. 3 bikes, wheels, tires…he ended up breaking the record in training and then had a medical mishap in the actual event.
Maybe there is a tiny bit of useful info here https://podcasts.apple.com/mt/podcast/175-marc-graveline-testing-sylvan-adams-to-a-world/id829284232?i=1000627306624

But it’s a FUN process especially when looking at a long runway like you are. It can be frustrating at times but overall I would redo it in a second.

I have no data on these, but maybe add Trek to your list ? Also, I would check out VanRysel, Scott and BMC.

You have mentioned vendors I go “hmmmmm, are you sure about that ?”.

I would say you are early in the process, so in no rush to make a decision. Do you have a decent bike you can start the process with ?

You say “no compromise, no expense spared”. Lay out a budget and how you plan to allocate it. Have someone review it to see if you forgot anything.

2025 Cervelo P5
Pinarello Bolide
Colnago TT1

Many thanks in advance.

You say “bike and optimisation program”. You are a lucky guy. It is a fun process. I went through 2 cycles last year with the guy that ended up winning the 65AG Worlds. 7 days of optimization. We did not do bikes for that one but everything else from tires, wheels, suits, helmets, and of course position. Then we did another cycle for an hour record prerp. 3 bikes, wheels, tires…he ended up breaking the record in training and then had a medical mishap in the actual event.
Maybe there is a tiny bit of useful info here https://podcasts.apple.com/...4232?i=1000627306624

But it’s a FUN process especially when looking at a long runway like you are. It can be frustrating at times but overall I would redo it in a second.

I have no data on these, but maybe add Trek to your list ? Also, I would check out VanRysel, Scott and BMC.

You have mentioned vendors I go “hmmmmm, are you sure about that ?”.

I would say you are early in the process, so in no rush to make a decision. Do you have a decent bike you can start the process with ?

You say “no compromise, no expense spared”. Lay out a budget and how you plan to allocate it. Have someone review it to see if you forgot anything.

Hi Marc - yes I heard that podcast some months ago, this was actually one of the influences on me deciding to take up this challenge. Was a very good listen.

Intrigued by your comments about certain vendors that I’d mentioned - can you share more on your perspectives and which mentioned vendors you have question marks over??

Intrigued by your comments about certain vendors that I’d mentioned - can you share more on your perspectives and which mentioned vendors you have question marks over??

Personally, I would not buy a hookless wheel for TT.

I see no upside, only potential downside. For other applications maybe, but not for TT

This is 100% based on testing for tire pressure. I did another round of testing last week and once again, 5bar did not cut it, even on a wider tire/rim on a good but not pristine surface

I’m also interested in peoples perspectives on groupsets.

As I understand, to use Shimano requires a mix of 12 speed 9200 groupset and the older 9160/9180 brakes and bar end shifters. Are there any issues with this cocktail of new and not so new Shimano components? I have always preferred Shimano, never used SRAM - but want to know in advance what compromises (if any) come from mixing Shimano groupsets.

If you want to really optimise, get in touch with Marcag, find out whether it’s feasible to work with him. If not him, then someone else that can aero test.
Use a borrowed or 2nd hand bike that is highly adjustable to optimise your position
Then come back with a precise list of setup requirements for the bike.
If working with your optimiser takes up a big chunk of budget, your next priority will be the clothing/helmet that has been identified.
Then your bike budget is what’s left. If it’s still unlimited, great. If not, optimising on a budget is where the fun starts.

If you just want to buy a flash bike you’re guessing, not optimising.

Also, electronics mean the shifters are just buttons. It’s not really mix and match, just components that were designed at different times. There are no issues.

Well if money is no object, I would probably start with the Scott or P5. Crank would be WattShop for the aero gains and ability to switch crank length. Front derailleurs are stupid, so something like the Parcour disc with a Classified hub. Front wheel needs to be tested, but AeroCoach or a trispoke are a decent bet. WattShop cockpit is a bit easier to adjust than AeroCoach. Di2 is a plumbers nightmare on a TT bike and I wouldn’t want to fly with it. I noticed SRAM had some new TT levers at the Tour that look cleaner

I respectfully disagree with the Di2 plumbing. It’s not that obvious, but you can get these “port junctions” (Shimano EW-JC200 or something like that) and then extra Di2 wires for whatever length you need. You can then run the wires from the shifter through the extensions to wherever you want, with the port in between. Then it’s really easy! It’s not quite as clean internally or as easy as SRAM, but I’ve been on 2015(ish) di2 on my TT bike since 2017 and haven’t found any reason to upgrade except that 1x12 speed looks cool. To my knowledge, there’s not any weight penalty worth making the decision over.

Is the Colnago TT1 even available to the masses yet or is it an order one then put into production to fulfill that order?

colnagos are available - they look sweet