Which country would you choose to live in?

Assume you can get residency anywhere in the world. Which country, considering, government, people, economy, lifestyle, geography, everything, would you choose to live in?

As much as I get irritated with my neighbors’ political preferences it is hard to find somewhere I would rather live than the US. But that gap is not near as big as it was 10 - 15 years ago.

Assume you can get residency anywhere in the world. Which country, considering, government, people, economy, lifestyle, geography, everything, would you choose to live in?

As much as I get irritated with my neighbors’ political preferences it is hard to find somewhere I would rather live than the US. But that gap is not near as big as it was 10 - 15 years ago.

Right now I’d choose the US. US plusses for outweigh it’s minuses and no other country is “perfect” and has some notable flaws.

I feel like if you haven’t already lived in a country for some period of time, it would be very hard to say you’d rather live there. Seems like there could be all kinds of issues you simply aren’t aware of.

a european / mediterranean country - though as windy says, no where is perfect so it depends whats important to you

if NZ / OZ were not so far away they’d be in the running

Queenstown, New Zealand.

And I wouldn’t think twice about it. In the unlikely dream scenario it actually became an option it’s probably the only place on this planet my wife would also instantly agree to pack up and move to.

Right here in the USA.
I immigrated here long ago and America gave my family great opportunities.
During my time in the Navy I was able see 17+ different countries usually short amount of time but it gave me a view that home is the best.
I was stationed in the Philippines just under 24 months,wonderful people but not near the quality of life we have here.

NZ.

If I had to stay in the US, Hawaii.

I feel like if you haven’t already lived in a country for some period of time, it would be very hard to say you’d rather live there. Seems like there could be all kinds of issues you simply aren’t aware of.

Well, that is kind of the point of the question. There are a lot of places that are nice to visit. But maybe not so great to live in. Portugal makes it relatively easy to immigrate to and a lot of people talk about how great it is. But there has to be a reason it still has to recruit immigrants. Italy was great to visit, but there are large swaths of the country begging for even their own citizens to live there. Something like 2500 towns are in danger of becoming ghost towns. There is a reason for that visitors might not be aware of. The US has great things going for it, but 40% of the people seem permanently fucked in the head. I’ve always enjoyed Canada when I visit but it is either too damn cold or too damn expensive.

20 - 25 years ago my wife and I went through the process of deciding where to live. We didn’t want to just end up somewhere because of inertia. I’m not crazy about central Ohio geography or weather. Cultural choices are limited as well. But it has had a great and very stable economy and job market. It is driving distance to 7 or 8 other large cities. And we found a beautiful area to plant a house.

Some of those considerations give way in our current work from anywhere situation and more in retirement. But I have created a house and lands that would be hard to come close to matching anywhere else. It is nice to explore options. And actually make a decision to live somewhere instead of just living there because you were afraid of change.

Realistically, the grass is always greener as they say. And mine is pretty green and well-trimmed, so US. But have been playing this game in my head. Just spent two weeks in South Korea, and had a blast. Made many observations and spent time with wife’s family members who live there.

Good healthcare. Good social support and infrastructure. Sense of communal nationalism. Violent crime is minimal. Cops don’t carry firearms, just tasers. Of course there are issues and it is pretty conservative. Wondered, could I live here?

But the biggest observation. Western civilization still leads the way. Every sign everywhere in Korean and English. Despite being sandwiched between China and Japan, the second and universal language remains English. The USD is very strong there. Stayed a few days at a nice hotel on the beach in Busan, in an ocean view suite for what converted to $260 a night. I mean, I have paid $150+ for a random Holiday Inn in Phoenix.

Europe is not without it’s issues, both logistically and politically. I have a colleague who is an ED physician who took a sabbatical with her family to live and work for a year in New Zealand. They have decided to not come back, remain permanent. Good for them. That is a huge life shift. I can’t see doing it.

Right here in the USA.
I immigrated here long ago and America gave my family great opportunities.
During my time in the Navy I was able see 17+ different countries usually short amount of time but it gave me a view that home is the best.
I was stationed in the Philippines just under 24 months,wonderful people but not near the quality of life we have here.

I did not know that. Mind if I ask from where?

There is a reason people walk from Guatemala to get here. When we were doing immigration work there were a few people who decided to return to their home countries, but they stick out because it was so rare.

It’s a hard question to answer. I have roots and cultural familiarity here. I’m sure I could happily live in another country but those things are enough of an advantage that I’m not going to considerer anywhere else.

Third vote for NZ, except we actually did move here from USA. To Auckland, that’s where most of the professional jobs are.

Queenstown is lovely. It’s New Zealand’s Whistler. But its a place to retire or have a 2nd home.

NZ.

I have considered that option in retirement. But I’d have to get used to living in an apartment/condo again I think. Getting something like what I am used to would require a lot more money than I will ever have.

And it is a long way from anything else.

We came from Greece.
My uncle was first in 1970 then my father 1972 they worked in the shipyards.
The rest of us my mother,brother &sister 1974.

I have lived, and worked, all over the world. Still spend 3-4 months a year outside of the U.S. There is no place I would rather live that America.

Anywhere but Australia. It’s a hole. Rich immigrants come here and buy nice homes only to find them full of snakes, spiders and drop bears. If only they knew better than to come here. What a dump!

Get of my red, dusty, scorching hot barren lawn.

ETA: I do jest. I love my home. What I’m not a fan of is how unaffordable it’s become. This is true for most all of our cities. Those who are able to talk about packing up and moving upon retirement (i.e have choice) are indeed very fortunate.

I am sure this is somewhat dependent on where you were raised and spent formative years, I spent more than a decade in the US and I liked it, but it would not be my choice, but there are many good reasons why it would be a good choice

France, unless they really screw it up in the upcoming elections. Maybe Spain. I have friends who have moved to both places and all love it.

NZ.

I have considered that option in retirement. But I’d have to get used to living in an apartment/condo again I think. Getting something like what I am used to would require a lot more money than I will ever have.

And it is a long way from anything else.

It’s our current retirement plan… we’d need to downsize from our current primary, which we’d planned on doing anyway even on the mainland, but our shore place is a 2BR/1BA and we’ve gotten used to living in a smaller footprint there being essentially empty-nesters. We’ve also been surprised at what is available in HI house-wise - vs apartment/condo options - away from built-up or touristy areas, but not totally out in the sticks.

Friends who moved out there 30-ish years ago and never came back (other friends who moved out there at around the same time all came back eventually) started a pretty successful brewery which does well but they’ve mentioned it’s a really tough go to make it out there, and especially when COVID restrictions almost killed the business.

The distance thing… double-edged sword :slight_smile:

USA for sure as there’s still a lot to love here. Japan would be second on the list - clean, polite & perverted all at the same time.