Where in the US would you live if you could live anywhere?

For me, I’m about to move from CT to DC at the end of August. Love DC, so I’m excited.

However, I do want more year round warmth and proximity of ocean, so we’re talking about FL in a few years (either Delray or Sarasota). I’ve always wanted to retire to HI…but last few times I’ve been has me questioning this given you’re living among tourists…still undecided on that one.

So…what say you?

If money wasn’t an issue and I could work remotely, I would move back to where I grew up: Santa Cruz. Ideal weather year round. Great beaches and biking (both road and mountain). Close enough to a big city when you want to visit one. Half a day’s drive from snow sports. I would be happy with pretty much anywhere on the coast from Malibu to Bodega Bay.

I grew up and lived in the Midatlantic until my mid 30’s. I don’t think I could ever live there again. Home visiting now, just too many people, too much traffic, etc. Lived in NC for 3 years, never going back. I like where we live in Maine, but I don’t know if I’ll live there once we retire. I’ve never really liked the west coast very much when I’ve visited.

I could see living in some crunchy mountain town out west.

Seattle
Boulder
Bend Oregon
North San Diego county
Also want to say Hawaii but I think it’d get old quick.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 135945.jpg

Northeastern Washington. Kettle Falls or Marcus areas. I do work 100% remote but the wife doesn’t, so no chance of moving until she retires.

I was born in Coeur d’Alene ID, raised along the I-90 corridor between Missoula and Spokane. Any time we go back to visit I feel right at home, even with the massive growth and change the area has seen over the 35 years since I moved away.

I love to just disappear into the woods for the day.

Flagstaff possibly. Access to outdoor recreation.

If budget unlimited, san diego area. With travel to NYC, seasonally PNW.

I’ve lived in MI (upper and lower), IA, WI, and IL.

Tentatively relocating to CDA region later this year. Have visited several times, one more trip coming up.

Love it, easy to understand and to the point.

Now can you get my wife to not be afraid to pull the trigger. She loves that area too. Over the winter I was poking around on realtor.com, found a house and land that would be a straight swap with ours. Rainier out the back door. Less than an hour and a half to downtown Seattle. Not even a nibble from her. If that place wasn’t going to get her thinking about it I don’t know what will.

Now can you get my wife to not be afraid to pull the trigger. She loves that area too. Over the winter I was poking around on realtor.com, found a house and land that would be a straight swap with ours. Rainier out the back door. Less than an hour and a half to downtown Seattle. Not even a nibble from her. If that place wasn’t going to get her thinking about it I don’t know what will.

Haha, I hear you. I lived in Woodinville (5miles north of Redmond) for two years from 2010 - 2012 and absolutely loved it there.

Moved to Bentonville, Arkansas after that…so, yeah, seeing different spots in the US

I went to high school in that circle, Federal Way. I wouldn’t move back. Just south of the circle, sure thing.

I would have a place here and then a place in FL for the winter

Warm weather is my one main criteria. Hence why I’m in Florida. Bonus points for being on the east coast closer to family, somewhat affordable (depending), great healthcare, no state income tax, etc.

I could do without the humidity but warm weather and low humidity equals places out west that are über-expensive or blasting ass hot (Vegas, Phoenix, etc.).

I could also do without the whacky politics at times but it is what it is.

I can tell ya precisely where!!! - On the point of Waimea Bay, across the street from the Catholic Church, North Shore Oahu.

Distant 2nd goes to Flagstaff.

I can and I do.

I went to high school in that circle, Federal Way. I wouldn’t move back. Just south of the circle, sure thing.
We didn’t call it Federales Way for nothing,

Eastside is best. Issaquah, Redmond, Kirkland. Bellevue if you want a big city.

I don’t think that I could live anywhere else, as much as I would like to

Either I’d be uncomfortable, or people around me would be

Canada.

I can tell ya precisely where!!! - On the point of Waimea Bay, across the street from the Catholic Church, North Shore Oahu.

Distant 2nd goes to Flagstaff.

Not quite right there, but the other side of the bay and a couple miles down the Kam, a certain 11-time world champ recently listed his beach shack for sale.

We live just south of the city in the Shenandoah Valley. Both work in DC and don’t mind the drive through the country. Whereabout will you be living, District, VA, or MD?