When do you sell your bike(s)?

I’ve just finished cleaning my Cervelo p5-6 and mountain bike so that I could take some photos to sell them.

I haven’t ridden outside since I crashed in September 2022. I broke my shoulder and had surgery in November but still finding it hard to swim. I have been riding on Zwift from time to time so would keep my road bike.

However, after cleaning my p5 I’m finding it hard to take the next step of actually listing it for sale.

I got it towards the end of 2017 and have done basically 2 triathlon seasons with it when I have properly raced. The last time I did a triathlon was March 2020. I have trained for triathlons since then but haven’t actually raced for various reasons, but the ‘triathlon’ training came to stop with my bike crash in 2022. I had another crash at the start of 2021 and one in 2020, my head taking impact both times.

I’ve had a history of concussions (in 4 to 5 in last 14 years, plus non-diagnosed ones playing rugby when I was younger) so don’t really want another one, hence making the decision that perhaps I won’t be riding on the road again.

I’m holding out the hope I may do a triathlon in the future, but the thought of buying another TT bike and its cost has me having second thoughts about listing the bike I already have.

If you weren’t immediately going to replace your sold bike, when did you decide to sell your bike(s)?

I have never sold a bike without having its replacement already in my garage (sometimes I already have two replacements by the time I come to sell). I kept my race bike from the 90’s for 10 years unused when I gave up racing in 1999. I still have it, though it is now my Zwift bike. I’m not the person to take advice from when it comes to when to sell your bike!!

I am going to list my Kestrel KM40 with Zipp 404 tubular tires starting on Monday via eBay. After 20+ years, why would I sell this bike?

This is a vintage tri bike with brake calipers not disc,
Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed not 12 speed,
manual wire shifting and not Di2,
650 wheel and not 700,
tubular tires and not tubeless compatible.

It still runs, it works for riding on Zwift or a trainer. The bike has more nostalgia value than actual value and it might be time for a new person to enjoy the ride.

For me it’s how often do I use it. If it’s collecting dust I feel i need to move it.

I just got a great titanium gravel bike so I’m selling my road bike. I don’t need both.

1. When running out of room to store it.
  2. When needing some extra cash.

Pre-2020 I would’ve never thought of a bike as an investment (non-work vehicles are consumption), but times have changed, at least temporarily.

I have only sold when plan to upgrade/replace. Ask yourself, what are the chances you regret selling in two years?

Your TT bike should hold value pretty well, especially if you really don’t ride it. So if you think odds decent you might do a Tri in say next 5 years, and would regret having sold, then don’t. If you completely drift away and say with confidence you are done, unload it then.

If you are worried about concussions and head injury, and have resigned to not doing intense mountain biking, then sell the MTB and ensure you avoid the urge/temptation to head back out.

I had a couple nasty MTB crashes over the years. It is now the bike I ride the least. I could sell easily, but am attached to it. I still go out, but take my Cx bike onto the more flowy x-country trails. Forces me to dial it back.

1. When running out of room to store it.
  2. When needing some extra cash.When running out of room to store them.

I still have my first time trial bike from 1984… Colnago funny bike with 26 inch front wheel and 700C rear wheel, Aerolite aero bar, Campy C-Record group, Aerolite pedals, and CQB carbon brake calipers.

Despite the fact it is a fast bike I suspect you have already gone beyond the point at which you will get a decent price for it, so maybe list at a price you are prepared to take and let the market decide.
Buying a replacement later on can help with the motivation if you decide to return to triathlon.

When my wife tells me to, or when I need to sneak an N+1 into the quiver and hope she won’t notice.

I have

3 - P3s
2 - P series
1 - P2

I want to sell some of them just been too lazy to get photos, write up their info, etc et.

Just too lazy 😔

Are there any gravel tris near you, where the track is flat or mostly up hill? I always take it super soft on the down hills - hands basically always on the breaks - to avoid any controllable crashes. One guy I follow on YT is mocked for his descending being super slow - like embarrassingly slow

When my wife tells me to, or when I need to sneak an N+1 into the quiver and hope she won’t notice.

Reminds me of the other equation. Instead of N + 1 being the number of bikes you need it’s actually S - 1 where S is the number of bikes that causes your spouse to divorce you

Good question! I bought a new gravel bike in February and I rationalized the purchase that I would sell my old one. I’ve ridden the new gravel bike over a thousand miles and I haven’t got on my old one since but can’t get myself to sell it. I have a nice road bike that only gets ridden on Sunday mornings and I realize I could ride my new gravel bike instead but I won’t be selling it anytime soon. Also have a nice MTB which I bought in ‘20 and have only ridden a dozen times. I should sell it but I rationalize keeping it by thinking I’ll do an Xterra. My tri bike gets only race day use now. It will probably go to the trainer when my first tri bike finally fails from all the indoor use. I should sell the old gravel bike and mtb but ………………

I am going to list my Kestrel KM40 with Zipp 404 tubular tires starting on Monday via eBay. After 20+ years, why would I sell this bike?

This is a vintage tri bike with brake calipers not disc,
Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed not 12 speed,
manual wire shifting and not Di2,
650 wheel and not 700,
tubular tires and not tubeless compatible.

It still runs, it works for riding on Zwift or a trainer. The bike has more nostalgia value than actual value and it might be time for a new person to enjoy the ride.

I have nearly the same bike, but Nimble trispokes. I use it on the trainer and it gets out on the road maybe once or twice a year using my training wheels - the Nimbles haven’t seen the road in over a decade. There isn’t much available in 650c tubular tires these days but there are some. I don’t need the space nor the meager money it would draw, so I just hang onto it. My 650c HED tubular disc with (I think) a 7 speed freehub I should really get out of the garage but I can’t imagine finding anyone who would want it. On the small chance that I was to ever get the whim to enter a race, the bike can still hold its own better than I can.

I’ll be interested to see what you get for your bike.

Dapper Dan - It will be interesting. I agree with you 100% that the bike is built like a 1980 Volvo and will last forever. The bike is listed with a minimum bid of $200, which somebody bid. If the final bid is over $400, it’ll be time for a “Happy Dance”.

After riding tri bikes for the last 20+ years, I decided to splurge and get a nice new road bike - Pinarello. At the tender age of 65, I’m not sure how much longer that I will be able to ride/race in the tri position on a bike, which lead me to getting a regular road bike.

Like you and Dapper Dan, I have the same bike (’99 Kestrel KM40), except my 404s are clinchers, not tubulars. I just raced on it about a month ago (i like to race on it at least once per season; my other tri bike is a 2015 BH Aero and, yes, its a tad faster then the Kestrel).

The problem with holding onto old bikes like these is that they have very little resale value. I think once a tri bike is more than 3 years old, the resale value just plummets. They are still fun to ride, though.

Dapper Dan - It will be interesting. I agree with you 100% that the bike is built like a 1980 Volvo and will last forever. The bike is listed with a minimum bid of $200, which somebody bid. If the final bid is over $400, it’ll be time for a “Happy Dance”.

After riding tri bikes for the last 20+ years, I decided to splurge and get a nice new road bike - Pinarello. At the tender age of 65, I’m not sure how much longer that I will be able to ride/race in the tri position on a bike, which lead me to getting a regular road bike.

This is a great bike. I gave mine to a friend who is just starting out in triathlon (had to put flat pedals on it for her). Still have four sets of various 650c wheels, including Tri spokes, tubes, and tires, if anyone is interested. The Kestrel KM40 airfoil was a bike that was ahead of its time, and still is a fast bike.

Reminds me of the other equation. Instead of N + 1 being the number of bikes you need it’s actually S - 1 where S is the number of bikes that causes your spouse to divorce you

The second one is more correct

I still have D’Kid’s 16" and 20" bikes in the garage, complete with pink & purple streamers and cute white tires; she and her mom won’t let me sell them, give them away, or even put out on the curb, even she’s LONG out-grown them