What will the Supreme Court do with Rahimi?

In the next week or two, the Supreme Court will be issuing their ruling in the United States v. Rahimi case.

The question is:

Does 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8), which prohibits the possession of firearms by persons subject to domestic-violence restraining orders, violate the Second Amendment?

I am going to guess that Rahimi is going to lose with a vote of 7-2. The ruling will be quite narrow saying that Rahimi is dangerous/violent and that he agreed to the terms of the restraining order, which prohibited him from possessing arms.

I am hoping that the ruling will also say that non-violent felons can keep and bear arms.

What are your guesses?

“I like guns because they are fun to collect all the parts and then put them together…”

My guess is that violent idiots will continue to have easy access to guns in the USA.

Between December 2020 and January 2021, Rahimi took part in five shootings. First, he shot at a man who purchased drugs from him after the man spoke disrespectfully to him; Rahimi fired into the man’s house with an AR-15. Second, the day after the prior shooting, Rahimi was involved in a traffic collision and fired at the other driver. Following this, he fled the scene of the crash, returned, fired more shots at the other driver, then fled again. Third, three days after the prior shooting, Rahimi fired a gun into the air while in the presence of children. Fourth, some weeks after the prior incident, a truck on the highway flashed its headlights at Rahimi when he sped past the truck; Rahimi then followed the truck off the highway and fired shots at another car that had been following the truck. Fifth, Rahimi fired a gun into the air at a fast food restaurant after a friend’s credit card was declined

Soooo… do you think that Rahimi will win 9-0 ?

I think you are on the wrong side of history of you think shitbirds like Rahimi should have easy access to guns.

I read that as sarcasm.

I’m a gun guy. People with restraining orders should not have guns.

I read that as sarcasm.

It isn’t sarcasm, Jim has said in the past that he hopes Rahimi wins.

Most gun owners are like you, Jim is the fringe.

Down goes Rahimi

The Supreme Court upholds a gun control law intended to protect domestic violence victims (msn.com)

On the upside, you’ve still got Uncle Thomas in your corner.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/1jARfPtdz7eE0/200.gif?cid=ecf05e47n7omqbt1z64kxo4jvyjcd3avj7ln0czueqkll6e8&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200.gif&ct=g

In the next week or two, the Supreme Court will be issuing their ruling in the United States v. Rahimi case.

you know that a lot of people are offended by your incessant pushing to make america an even more hyper-armed, cocked-and-ready society than it currently is. your posts have become increasingly only about this and i suspect that it’s because this is one of the few places outside of paladin press worshipping FB groups and message boards that would let you get away with this. so, i would ask you not to abuse this privilege.

This is outrageous! Every American should have a right to bear arms, even felons. In fact, everyone should have a gun! Guns are amazing!! They are so cool!

• Jim, probably

I read that as sarcasm.

Likely needs to be some middle ground here for a statement like this. I’m a gun guy as well. Never arrested, or charged with anything besides a speeding ticket.

20+ years ago I went through a divorce and was extremely surprised that I had a restraining order placed on me temporarily. I was told that it’s standard practice even though I had shown zero instances of violence, arguments, or anything like that. I found it very odd that it was placed on me and it expired post divorce. The big D was completely consensual and we had no kids, and just a house to settle on.

So there needs to be some sort of discretion on no guns if you have a restraining order. I have quite a few more than I did back then but wonder what I would have done with them had this case been in effect today. Likely have a buddy store them or something like that.

I read that as sarcasm.

Likely needs to be some middle ground here for a statement like this. I’m a gun guy as well. Never arrested, or charged with anything besides a speeding ticket.

20+ years ago I went through a divorce and was extremely surprised that I had a restraining order placed on me temporarily. I was told that it’s standard practice even though I had shown zero instances of violence, arguments, or anything like that. I found it very odd that it was placed on me and it expired post divorce. The big D was completely consensual and we had no kids, and just a house to settle on.

So there needs to be some sort of discretion on no guns if you have a restraining order. I have quite a few more than I did back then but wonder what I would have done with them had this case been in effect today. Likely have a buddy store them or something like that.

That sounds like more of an issue with how the restraining order was executed, rather than a problem with the gun regulation.

“I like guns because they are fun to collect all the parts and then put them together…”

man-child pokemon?

(I do own a disturbing amount of firearms, and have a biathlon Sunday if the weather is good)

I read that as sarcasm.

Not all restraining orders come with a provision that you can’t have guns in your possession. Most are pretty narrow, like you can’t harass your estranged wife, can’t go to her house, can’t take her stuff, can’t beat her up. All the things you already weren’t going to do.

But when you have a history of going around like Yosemite Sam shooting and hollerin’ the order gets a bit more restrictive.

man-child pokemon?

(I do own a disturbing amount of firearms, and have a biathlon Sunday if the weather is good)

I’m super interested in trying biathlon next year. First need to get competent enough at skating, which I am not yet. I could definitely get into the tech side. I’ll be the old guy coming in last by 10 minutes but with an Olympic-calibre carbon fiber deal.

man-child pokemon?

I’m super interested in trying biathlon next year. First need to get competent enough at skating, which I am not yet. I could definitely get into the tech side. I’ll be the old guy coming in last by 10 minutes but with an Olympic-calibre carbon fiber deal.

Unfortunately with the way New England winters are trending, almost all our races are running and/or biking

8-1 - Federal Law Stands. Rahimi lost.

8-1 - Federal Law Stands. Rahimi lost.

The law trapped in amber quote opens the door to restrictions

man-child pokemon?

where are you doing your nordic skiing? you’re proximate to snow but not to a nordic center. sorensons?