What to do about Springfield, Ohio

To be fair you work from home and your home is in the boonies

Seems either the mayor misspoke or the reporter misinterpreted what the mayor said. Since the 12k-15k is the foreign born population of the whole county, since Springfield’ own website says that is for the entire county. I find it unlikely that the entirety of the foreign born population is not only Haitian, but also only like in Springfield and nowhere else in the county. Since Springfield only makes up less than 1/3 of the county population.

1 Like

It may not be unreasonable that the foreign born population concentrate in the only real town in Clark County. They probably don’t spread out to the rural areas in a homogenous manner.

Saw a FB comment earlier (from a MAGA chud, naturally) that the OHSP being deployed by the governor is proof that the city is being overrun by pet-eating Haitians.

even non-citizen permanent residents (Green Card) have to inform USCIS of their permanent address - so would expect the same for those on TPS.

You really think the US census is up to date as to where people live and their ethnic origin. Charming.

I haven’t seen anything that debunks Newsweek’s story as inaccurate. Springfield was able to bring back some industry. Trouble was it was something like 10 dollars an hour industry so understandably the locals not too interested. Free trade which I think Joe Biden is quite okay with as was Mr. Obama and Mr. Clinton and Mr Bush one and two and Mr. Reagan. If you want to manufacturer stuff in American you have to do it at cut rate. Unless you are in a protected industry like Auto at the end of the manufacturing chain Enter Haitians glad to work in any job if it gives them a chance to avoid being in Haiti or deported back there. There are stories of landlords taking advantage of the situation by renting out cots in houses at very high density. Housing costs going up locally in an economically depressed area. Likely the Haitians are willing to live at higher density than say your average Springfield resident. Who in this forum would be happy if housing got significantly more expensive in their town because of an influx of visible newcomers. Or if their local public schools were overwealmed by needy students where resources are strained to help them. Most of us would move or sent their kids to public school. Not because they don’t like immigrants but because they want adequate resources in their school.
The story about people eating cats etc is crap obviously.
Apparently the new people are allowed to sponsor another person which leads to chain migration which doesn’t seem like a great thing. So maybe you don’t allow that.
Here in Canada people are not super happy when their local hospital is full of elderly people from Pakistan who need translators and are brought here understandably by their kids. Only problem is the hospital is chronically short staffed already. But we probably shouldn’t allow all this family reunification stuff if we already cannot staff the hospital.
I took care of some Syrians a few years back. Brought here by some pesky Catholics who were always roping me into such things. Two Muslims doctors in my clinic wouldn’t take them (too busy). My wife took the women because they need a female doctor. They were okay but in some ways frustrating. One guy was upset because I wouldn’t order an MRI after a few weeks of low back pain. I felt like telling him hey buddy you would never have even thought of an MRI In Syria.

And Mr Trump and Mr. Vance are only to happy to exploit the situation for their own gain.

There isn’t an easy fix. We are going to have to get used to paying more for stuff made locally to protect local workers who are our neighbors. Stop ordering everything from Amazon and getting everything as cheaply as possible at Walmart etc.
Politicians from either side won’t ask voters to make sacrifices of such sort…

Right now I am in Roxbury Mass which is essentially Boston. Across the street is a supermarket which seems to cater to immigrants. You can buy ten different kinds of yams! People seems quite nice. On Sunday the hotel was hosting some sort of religious conference of Haitian pastors I think. In my broken French I was able to show some guy in a nice suit where the bread was.

That is not a story. It is an opinion column. And the Springfield resident he uses as a source has some interesting google results.

Oh, and the federal government did not drop Haitians in Springfield.

Newsweek used to be reputable. Now it is trash. I will see an attention grabbing headline, notice that it is from Newsweek and move on.

You must always exercise caution when putting any trust in their coverage.

1 Like

Yesterday a scummy Heritage project propaganda outfit run by self-titled “deportation scientist” Mike Howell, published a police report of a woman’s claim that her cat had been stolen and eaten by Haitian immigrant. It’s had millions of views.

The cat was safe and sound in her basement.

1 Like

Yes, it is a very accurate source on this information.

You do understand that this information is not just from the once every ten year census? The department of commerce is constantly gathering new data and employees an army of experts on demographics.

It is clearly a better source than anyone else is providing here.

Are you suggesting that Senator Vance is remorselessly spreading xenophobic false rumors that put his own constituents in harm’s way, to include at least 33 bomb threats including those directed at elementary schools, just to swimg a few paranoid low information votes his way?

With Christians like him who needs atheists.

3 Likes

Some times you’re going to have collateral damage when exercising your 1st amendment rights. They were probably childless children anyway, so it isn’t like they matter.

1 Like

Where the fuck did all these Haitians come from?

https://x.com/thedailyshow/status/1836207200462622983?s=46&t=_DqV6nxOSePsSnKig4JMgw

Maybe I don’t know exactly what you are claiming, but the government certainly does not know where all non-citizens are located in the US.