What the hell am I doing in Eureka, Nunavut?

Want to know where Eureka, Nunavut is? It’s in Canada. It’s at the 80th parallel north latitude, where the sun goes on vacation in mid-October and doesn’t show it’s shiny face again until late February. Specifically it’s on Ellesmere Island, and it’s the third-most northern populated place in the world. The other 2 are Thule, Greenland, and Alert which is on the farthest northern tip of Ellesmere Island. We are in a Covid-free bubble thanks to isolation and rapid-testing. We threw our masks away the moment we got off the plane.

What the hell is in Eureka? A bunch of buildings - housing, water tank farms, generators, fuel, equipment, people, polar research labs, and weather observation equipment (AND several lifetime’s worth of toilet paper). And, a runway which sees air traffic once a month in winter but is much busier in the summer. When I got here in late October there were 11 people and 3 flew out last week. So that leaves 8 happy folk, toiling crazy hours in the dark, keeping this place going. Last week the sewage tank had an overflow but the alarm was unplugged so no one noticed all the water (thank god it was just water) for a few hours. Fun stuff to fix at -40.

I work 11-hour shifts, and I am happy to have survived my first full week of night shifts without falling asleep at my desk. Luckily I am required to go outside every hour to do my observations so the cold air will snap you back to wakefulness pretty fast. I am developing buff shoulders as I don and doff my heavy arctic gear several times a day. It has to be anti-static so nothing fancy like Canada Goose, unfortunately.

What to do in Eureka…well, work and sleep takes up most of everyone’s time but we do have satellite TV and a million DVDs and VHS tapes to watch. Eating is important, too, and we have a cook who is determined to make, and keep, us all nice and fat. Fresh fruit and veggies arrive on the monthly supply flight, and when it runs out then there is the frozen variety. The warehouse of food and the 3 walk-in freezers contain enough food to tide us over for several months if the flights ever get delayed. There are obscene amounts of desserts in the fridge, never mind the ice cream freezer next to it. We do have a pretty good gym but I am too damned tired to make the effort after working night shifts. Hopefully I can get in there later this week when I’ve caught up on sleep.

I am a bit pissed off at my new coworker (we started on the same day) since he has seen wolves and hares on his trips outside and I have seen NOTHING. Well, we saw an arctic fox on a site tour in a truck but it wasn’t a wolf so anticlimactic. There is a resident pack of arctic wolves that patrol through Eureka regularly as they like to use our road. A herd of muskox roam around here, too, so where they are, the wolves are not far behind.

How much snow? On average about 5" (12cm) at the moment. The high arctic is basically a desert and the air is incredibly dry, so there isn’t a lot of snowfall. We do have ice crystals which don’t really pile up but shine in the light and make things pretty. How much wind? A bit, around 4 knots right now, which is no fun when it’s already -40. A couple of weeks ago the temperature went way up and so did the wind so the windchill was still insane. Right now I’m not minding the bitter cold if the air is relatively still. It’s dark 24 hours a day but I haven’t found it to be an issue, and people tell me in the summer it’s really hard to get enough sleep with the 24 hours of sunlight.

So that is my life in the high Arctic, I’d love to hear about other people’s stories of living in unusual or isolated locales, whether for personal reasons or if one’s employer said to go.

tracks 500.jpg
20211126_102917resized.jpg
20211113_141234_resized.jpg

That honestly sounds awesome. I have a weird fascination with living and working in the cold. As a kid growing up in eastern WA, northern ID, and western MT we had some dandy winters and nothing kept you from going to school or working outside if that’s what your job required. When I was still training/racing, I’d run outside even when the temps hit the low negatives, -40 probably not so much.

Every once in a while I try show my wife some property in the Northwest Territories and tell her that’s were we should retire, she just shoots me that look.

That honestly sounds awesome. I have a weird fascination with living and working in the cold. As a kid growing up in eastern WA, northern ID, and western MT we had some dandy winters and nothing kept you from going to school or working outside if that’s what your job required. When I was still training/racing, I’d run outside even when the temps hit the low negatives, -40 probably not so much.

Every once in a while I try show my wife some property in the Northwest Territories and tell her that’s were we should retire, she just shoots me that look.

She’s probably seen real estate prices up there. Unreal.

She’s smarter than me.

What exactly doing up there beside plumbing.

What about booze? Any booze up there?

She’s smarter than me.

I just found the problem, I didn’t have to fix it!

I am a weather observer, so I calculate cloud coverage, what kind, what precipitation, what is obscuring the sky (i.e. smoke or haze). Plus maintaining and monitoring all of the really fancy weather-monitoring equipment. And we release weather balloons twice a day so I get to play with hydrogen gas. And finding plumbing issues…

What about booze? Any booze up there?

There is beer in a locked fridge, for a price. Otherwise BYOB. Just be sure to take it on the plane as carry-on. The booze in checked luggage has a tendency to disappear en route, I’ve been told.

She’s smarter than me.

I am a weather observer, so I calculate cloud coverage, what kind, what precipitation, what is obscuring the sky (i.e. smoke or haze). Plus maintaining and monitoring all of the really fancy weather-monitoring equipment. And we release weather balloons twice a day so I get to play with hydrogen gas. And finding plumbing issues…

I used to fly weather balloons in college, but we used nice inert (expensive) helium. What do you do for anti-static with all that dry wind?

She’s smarter than me.

I used to fly weather balloons in college, but we used nice inert (expensive) helium. What do you do for anti-static with all that dry wind?

There are grounding wires everywhere in the hydrogen shed.

That’s very cool (cold, too). Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share the photos.

Keep us updated and let us live in Nunavut through you.

Have you seen any spectacular northern lights?

Did you bring a bike to set the coolest ever Strava record?

Please keep up the posts (living vicariously in Iowa).

I love the pictures. An Arctic fox definitely counts! Foxes are awesome! I’ve only ever seen one in the wild, and it was dead by the side of a road. So it wasn’t fun, but it was still beautiful. I had a moment of, “do I pick it up?” I didn’t, and I wish I had!

What is a muskox? I’m going to Google it. I thought those things lived in Mongolia or something. Obv I need to educate myself. It sounds very cool. As do the wolves.

Your work sounds great. I love that you get blasted with frozen air every hour. That’s just wonderful. Things sound fun and interesting. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Cool, cool, cool.

When my family lived on lookout towers in the summer, a helicopter buzzed over us once a week and dropped a newspaper and sourdough starter for bread. That’s kind of similar— but nowhere near as remote. We could be in a town in an hour if we hiked and drove. Plus our weather was mild— not deadly like yours.

Thank you for the update!

Very cool!

I’ve always been fascinated by the Arctic. Trying to get a job doing search and rescue up on the North Slope of Alaska right now.

Is this a pleasure trip for you? Seems a bit outside of what I thought you did for research!

I did not see it in your post. How long are you scheduled to be there?

Looks like a wonderful opportunity.

My advice: do not watch “The thing from another world.”

So after getting kicked out of college for the 2nd time, my scholarship/grant was revoked. If I wanted to graduate I had to pay for my final year, myself (as my scholarship/grant was thru my father’s college as part of his comp package). So I went to commercial diving school with the intent to earn enough to pay final year/graduate.

I worked offshore in the Gulf of Mexico for OPD (Offshore Petroleum Divers); this was right at the start of Gulf War 1 – 1990-91. After a 2 month dive school, I spent almost 300 days offshore, the longest stint being 128 straight days, on a 400’ derrick lay barge (DLB 269 as well as 271) off Ciudad del Carmen, which is Bay of Campeche down in Mexico. We were contracted thru Pemex, and the crew was 50/50 US and Mexican nationals. It was interesting. 12/12 shifts, but with diving duties, we sometimes did 18 hour shifts. Food was good, and the scenery changed (as we moved around), but it was definitely a grind. Different set of personalities – we had 150+ people on the barge, and crew changes were semi-regularly (monthly-ish). It was less about getting along with the others vs setting a schedule that allowed workouts & down time. Thankfully working offshore is dictated by the weather – we had several periods where we were down for 4-5 days and basically just moving around to avoid storms.

The long-term divers who had been doing this for a while (including a sat crew (who spent almost 100 days in saturation (living at 120-140 ft down)) were an interesting mix. Not a lot of hyper-A personalities. Not a lot of recluses. Mostly all professionals at the non-basic labor level.

Good luck with the time up there. Something to be said for getting away from it all. After watching The Grey…do you actually have someone whose job is to make sure you don’t get eaten by wolves (only half kidding)…

Have you seen any spectacular northern lights?

Unfortunately the high latitude 80 degrees is generally too high for us to see much of the northern lights, as they tend to stick around the Arctic Circle at 66 degrees. If they put on a really big display we might see a bit of a glow.

Did you bring a bike to set the coolest ever Strava record?

Please keep up the posts (living vicariously in Iowa).

I found 3 MTB bikes in the garage that I will be eyeing up if the temps rise to slightly less than insane!

Strava works up here but the GPS signal is very crazy, I walked a few hundred metres and it had me crossing the fiord and heading back over the mountains. Impressive, but not accurate!

We are above the magnetic pole so if your fancy compass app says you are heading south, you are most definitely actually not.

My brother in law was working in high Arctic. Terrific pay and hard work but fascinating place. Me? I hate cold. I grew up in South Europe and everything bellow 10C is cold.

Is this a pleasure trip for you? Seems a bit outside of what I thought you did for research!

He is on a journey to parts unknown.

When he arrives at his destination he will shout vigorously with great joy and satisfaction!

Maurice