What stuff do you only buy name brand?

topic idea stolen from Reddit, felt like it would be fun here

I’ll leave my Other Forum items off my list.

my list so far
dove soap
popsicles have to be Outshine if I want good fruit ones (I also make my own popsicles). As far as freeze pops cheap store brand that comes in a net is fine

Baked beans. Must be Heinz, must be English style, on pain of death.

Vegemite, obviously.

That’s probably it for my brand loyalties. When it comes to curry paste I have specific brands I look for, since those can make or break something and most of the cheap/popular ones are usually pretty bland, but I’m not married to any in particular. (same for bottled salad dressing, which I usually try to make from scratch since it’s orders of magnitude better, but there are a couple of pretty good store bought ones which are handy in a pinch.)

Beer

topic idea stolen from Reddit, felt like it would be fun here

I’ll leave my Other Forum items off my list.

my list so far
dove soap
popsicles have to be Outshine if I want good fruit ones (I also make my own popsicles). As far as freeze pops cheap store brand that comes in a net is fine

Jif

Toilet paper
Ketchup
Diapers
Peanut Butter

Too many to list - French’s mustard, Whataburger ketchup, Post Great Grains cereal, Hellman’s mayo, Cheerios. Coke (though only from Mexico), Tide laundry powder, Duracell batteries. Colgate toothpaste as examples.

Beer

Care to elaborate?

Q-tips

Marin Guitars!

I admit that I’m a Martin Guitar Addict. I now have 7 of them and I’m in the process of ordering another, a Grand Jumbo 28. It’s going to be an amazing guitar.

I’m going to have to sell 3 of them before the GJ arrives in around June, so 3 out of this 4 will have to go;

1979 D-35, fully reconditioned by Martin with neck reset and re-fret.

2023 D-16 Special, it has the same woods Sitka Spruce and Indian Rosewood and the same bracing as an HD-28

Custom Shop J-17 Whiskey Sunset, it’s the only one ever made. It’s the size of a dread with the shape of an 000

GPCRSG, Road Series, Sitka Spruce and Mutenye. It’s a really nice, less expensive Martin guitar.

They will be available in the NYC metro area, if anyone here is interested

Bikes.

Cervelo, Felt, Cannondale, 3T, Specialized.

OK, I have one no-name “open mold” bike.

dove soap

Anything from the HBC aisles. My wife is allergic to cocoanut, almost every single soap, shampoo, conditioner, cosmetic contains cocoanut.

power tools
tires
crackers

Vegemite, obviously.

That’s probably it for my brand loyalties. When it comes to curry paste I have specific brands I look for, since those can make or break something and most of the cheap/popular ones are usually pretty bland, but I’m not married to any in particular. (same for bottled salad dressing, which I usually try to make from scratch since it’s orders of magnitude better, but there are a couple of pretty good store bought ones which are handy in a pinch.)

Agree 100% on the Heinz english baked beans. Won’t risk anything else here (USA) as every one i have tried has been dessert-level sweet.

Santa Cruz peanut butter, Boca original patties, Tito’s Vodka

Ice Cream - Needs to be Brighams (local New England)
Soda - Diet Pepsi
Shrimp - needs to be US origin
Dog Jerky - same needs to be US origin

Now it is basically (where possible) not made in China…

Vegemite, obviously.

Agree 100% on the Heinz english baked beans. Won’t risk anything else here (USA) as every one i have tried has been dessert-level sweet.

That the green can correct?

Life is too short to drink crap beer. Drink the good stuff. Amazing in the race for more shelf space at the supermarket how the flavored seltzers from the bigs are pushing out the smaller crafties off the shelf. Each their own what is the good stuff. I mostly drink stuff made within a couple few miles from my house.

Ice Cream - Needs to be Brighams (local New England)
Soda - Diet Pepsi
Shrimp - needs to be US origin
Dog Jerky - same needs to be US origin

Now it is basically (where possible) not made in China…

I’ve never eaten dog jerky. Is it good?

My kids and I have talked about eating our dogs. The big one would feed the whole neighborhood, but the small one is mostly just rashes and fur. So gross. I love the little guy. He’s a designer dog— so I guess he qualifies as a name brand product, albeit a defective name brand product.

Yesterday the vet noted that our little designer dog appears to have good self esteem. That’s good news. This is the same vet who suggested that before taking our highly allergic little designer dog camping we should consider whether the little dog likes camping. The vet said our little dog is a city dog. I don’t know how I could possibly prepare this little city dog for eating— He already seems like jerky, and he’s not appetizing. Maybe he’d be good rolled up in pastry dough a la Beatrix Potter.

Oh dear…

Turns out I am not that discerning in my tastes. I don’t think I have stuff that I would only buy name brand.

There are certain brands that I prefer, but if they are not available or something else is on sale, I switch easily.

The stuff I prefer would be:

• local craft beer
  • Kewpie mayo
  • lao gan ma chilli
  • old spice deodorant

For other forum stuff though, only Continental tires.

ETA: Oh! Thought of two things that I would only buy name brand.

• Soy Sauce. The generic stuff is nasty.
  • Sensodyne toothpaste.

Kraft PB
Frenches ketchup, I won’t buy Heinz ketchup since the decided to flee Ontario. Frenches moved into their old plant.

Probably more but it’s more preference rather than: “I’ll have a Coke”, “Is Pepsi ok?”, “I WILL ONLY DRINK COKE, PEPSI IS NOT OK!!!”. I am not that guy.

Condoms