What shoes do you use for competitions and which ones to train?

Race: saucony endorphin pro
Train : Brooks Ghost 14

Clifton 7
Vaporfly Next% 2

This season
Comp: Next%
Training: Endorphin Speed, Novablast, and Glideride

Purchased for next season
Comp: Metaspeed
Training: Magic Speed, Next% Tempo, and Novablast 2

Training: Nike Epic React

Comp: Saucony Endorphin Speed

Train:

• Saucony Endorphin Shift
  • Brooks Ravena (last model year before discontinuation)
  • NB Fuel Cell Prism
  • Saucony Guide
  • NB fresh foam Vongo

Race:

• Skechers Razor.

Train:
Saucony Ride, Nike Pegasus, Hoka Cliftons (easy runs)
Saucony Kinvara (uptempo)
Nike Terra Kiger (trail)
Nike Vaporfly/Saucony Endorphin Pro/Adidas Adios Pro (workouts)
Adidas SL 20 (track workouts)
Spikes for track/cross country workouts

Race:
Vaporfly

Not all are currently in rotation but I like to use a variety of shoes. I would say 80%+ of my miles are in easy run trainers & almost the rest is in super shoes for workouts.

Train : Nike Zoom Fly 3
Race : Nike Alphafly

competition: saucony endorfin pro
training : Brooks Ghost 14

*Endorphin

competition: saucony endorfin pro
training : Brooks Ghost 14

*Endorphin

😊 tks

Race:
Saucony Endorphin Pro

Train: a combo of the following, depending on type of run–
Saucony Endorphin Speed
Saucony Triumph
Nike Pegasus

Train:
Hoka Carbon X2

Race:
ASICS Metaspeed Sky

I’ve found that muscle soreness is pretty significantly reduced in the Carbon X2 for me compared to all the other shoes I’ve run in, to the point that I’m considering racing in them or doing some track workout testing. That said, I haven’t run much in the Metaspeed due to saving them for race days. Those do seem to drop RPE for me at a given pace.

Currently:
Train
NB Beacon V3
NB Fuel Cell Rebel V2
Brooks Hyperion Tempo

Race
Vaporfly Next% 2 - mostly for tri
Alphafly - for open 10k’s to marathon

Just got to try out: Saucony Endorphin Pro 2, ASICS Magic Speed, and ASICS Noosa Tri 13.

Treadmill: Asics Gel Excite 6

Outdoor: Asics Novoblast

Race: Vaporfly

Train: Saucony Endorphin Speed, Nike React Infinity, Nike Wildhorse (trail).

Race: NB Fuelcell RC Elite 2 and planning to try Vaporfly’s this season too.

Train Endorphin Speed, Kinvara

Race Endorphin Pro

Train: Endorphin Shift, Endorphin speed, Hoka Mach, Hoka Rincon
Race: Endorphin Pro

TRAIN
New Balance Beacon 3 (recovery & aerobic)Hoka Clifton 7 (recovery & aerobic)Hoka Mach 4 (everything)Asics Novablast (everything, better on hilly runs)Asics GlideRide (long runs, better on hilly runs)New Balance 1080v11 (long runs)Saucony Fastwitch (track sessions, fun runs)Saucony Mad River (trail runs)Hoka Speedgoat 4 (long trail runs)Inov8 TerraClaw (trail running races)
RACE (with permanent elastic laces)
Saucony Type A8 (short course)New Balance Fuelcell Rebel (long course)
Likely to buy one of the carbon plated super shoes for racing next season.

A bit of duplication in my training shoes. Like to always have some with low mileage (to avoid too many runs in old shoes). Also used to keep several pairs at the office. Will start to thin out the rotation now I’m permanently working from home.

Train:
Hoka Carbon X2

Race:
ASICS Metaspeed Sky

I’ve found that muscle soreness is pretty significantly reduced in the Carbon X2 for me compared to all the other shoes I’ve run in, to the point that I’m considering racing in them or doing some track workout testing. That said, I haven’t run much in the Metaspeed due to saving them for race days. Those do seem to drop RPE for me at a given pace.

Are you a heel to toe runner? I read the Stephen F. Austin University study on super shoes and the Carbon X2 didn’t do very well with those 2hr 30 min marathoners. I learned form a teammate who was a former pro runner and really knowledgeable on the technical side of shoes that the Carbon X has a C shaped plate that worked for heel toe runners and the Vapor Fly and Alpha Fly have an S shaped plate that is designed for striking on the mid soles but that it actually pushes heel strikers backwards. I had done just one 13-mile Planned Marathon Race Pace run in Alphaflys before taking to him and the Nike’s felt great through 9 miles, then felt like they were working against me. Since I am a heel toe runner at slower speed and a mid sole striker and faster speeds it made complete sense to me. I was running great for 9 miles then I started to fatigue and went to my more relaxed stride where I strike on the heel rather than the mid sole. So the Nike worked great for faster running but not for anything under a tempo pace.

I have been an Asics guy for 25 years so I wanted to try the Metaspeed, but I was able to get the Alphafly for about half what the Metaspeed would have cost me so I I went with the Nikes. They have been a game changer for sure. I got a 4-1/2% increase which is a better response than most see so I am happy with them. Understanding how all these different brands are designed and what advantages they provide for different types of runners and running has been confusing at times but fun to learn and experiment with. I am still curious about the VaporFly next %, Hoka X, and Metaspeed Sky.

For me…

2022: Train - Asics Kayano,
Race - Nike Alphafly

2021: Train - Asics Venture, On Cloudflow
Race - Asics DS Trainer

2020: Train - Asics Rideglide,
Race - Asics DS Trainer

2019: Trian - Hoka Bondi
Race - Asics Gel Hyper

2018: Trian - Asics Kayano
Race - Asics Gel Hyper

Used to train in bostons and peg turbo 2. Now am using the endorphin speeds. Probably will go with a nike shoe with the zoomx foam next as that seems to be what I have liked the most

Race was endorphin pros but going to get a pair next%

I’ll still use the endorphin pros for triathlons though in short term and save the next% for running races

Easy/Recovery: Nike Invincible Run
Steady/Long/most workouts: Saucony Endorphin Speed
Key workouts: Older pair of Vaporflys
Race: Alphafly

I’d be pure Nike if they hadn’t killed the Peg Turbos, but the Endorphin Speed is a really good shoe.