What are your weekend plans? Aug. 31/Sept 1 / Sept 2

… aside from figuring out the new format, what are you up to?

Me:
PT exercises, work, work on novel, read

3 Likes

Heading to the Azores today!! So excited! Flying through Newark, not so excited.

1 Like

We are in the eastern end of Nebraska at Scotts Bluff. On Sunday we will travel to Cody. We then plan to spend a day in Yellowstone doing the areas that were closed last time we visited. We will then do the Beartooth highway which was also closed when we were here last time.
Yellowstone is still our number 1 highlight of our trip so far. Looking forward to visiting again.

1 Like

Currently sitting in the ATL airport waiting for my flight to Seattle. We embark on an Alaskan cruise tomorrow.

Last weekend, for my big exercise plan, I did some cheat running, which is really just an extra bouncy walk. You see people do it in crosswalks when the light has changed. There’s no increase in speed. It’s just bouncier, and it makes everyone happy. lol

This weekend, I plan to do some cheat running. I’m certain it has value, although maybe not much.

I’m pretty happy because I had excellent conversations with a nice variety of people yesterday.

I have a lot of stuff to do around the house, and a lot of people coming and going here. It’s kind of fun.

I’m glad you’re going back to Yellowstone. That place never disappoints. Don’t forget that the earth’s crust is very thin in places there and you might fall into deadly scalding water if you’re poking around off the trails. Have fun!

Currently at Denver airport awaiting our connecting flight to Billings to start our Yellowstone and Tetons trip.

1 Like

Weather is gorgeous today!! Hopefully you will get treated to a good view of Mt Rainier!!

I am an underground mining engineer. I have spent my career tunnelling down into the earths thin crust.

1 Like

If you see an all white motorhome with a Foster can on the front in Yellowstone come and say Hi.

Right now, me the wife and the dog are camping at the junction of the John Day and Columbia rivers on our way to Crater Lake for the week.

1 Like

yesterday I: did PT, did errands (including mailing a gift to a friend), worked, worked on my novel, read outside in the sun, talked to a friend on the phone
today plan: work, work on novel at least a little

1 Like

Will do. Currently in Laurel, MT and headed down into Yellowstone in a couple hours. We will be in the Canyon Lodge area today through Tuesday. Then down in Old Faithful.

2 Likes

I was thinking about you & Ironnerd & Yellowstone.

I think you’re driving up to Red Lodge & the park today. Don’t forget to try some Wilcoxson’s huckleberry ice cream. It’s pretty good. I’m so jealous of you guys.I biked and ran the Beartooth pass in high school, which is something I’m proud of. There used to be a running race up it in the spring. Last summer my son drove our car up and down the pass, and I had to ride in a different car with relatives because I was so stressed out by the idea of it. I wanted him to do it, but it was very mentally taxing for me. He did a fine job, I’m told. lol

There is a beautiful place called Paradise Valley, and a low key resort called Chico Hot Springs that I recommend. There’s a nearby mining town that is very rustic and somewhat creepy. Be prepared to be murdered if you go there.

Weekend update: I ran/hiked around lake Poway yesterday. I plan to go again today, maybe. My buddy wants to come over & swim, and I might not have time for the lake.

1 Like

does it frighten you that things might cave in on you? I guess you must have found a way to manage that fear, if it is one you have, since you do what you do for work.

The ground support is designed my my fellow mining Engineers and Geotech Engineers. It is tested to ensure that it is installed correctly. I am not concerned about it collapsing.
Fortunately I am not claustrophobic or scared of the dark :smile:

Drove from Laurel to Canyon Village today. Took 212 to Grand Loop. Beautiful drive. Got caught in a hour long traffic jam in the Lamar River Valley as a herd of hundreds of bison took their sweet ‘ole time crossing and/or walking down the middle of the road. Normally I’d be cursing out a traffic jam but this one was awesome.

We then hiked around Norris Geyser Basin as we didn’t have tons of time today. Tomorrow doing Mt. Washburn hike and some falls. Tuesday the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.

2 Likes

Saturday was long run same time as my age. I am in late 50s so that was good. Also weed pulling backyard lawn. Took my mom to apple orchard to get local apples. Tried to get local beer but brewery turned over to local farm festival. Also scored some local beef from a place a mile away.

Sunday was church and long swim in local quarry. Also water changes in my fish tank and a few other things. I tried to go to local waste wood depot and turn a nice log into planks but some other guy got it first and was turning it in to firewood Wah.

Today is long run and grass cutting among other things. Well that was the plan. I made the mistake of deciding to call a few pts just now. Now I realize I’ll be doing essentially calling people all morning and this afternoon a few hours at the nursing home. LOL

1 Like

2 Likes

We had big plans but my wife caught Covid, so the weekend wasn’t as nice as it was supposed to be. She stayed in bed and I played some slot online games. But we finally found time to watch Dune 2 together. Btw, great movie! I hope she will be fine soon and we bring our plans to life.

Having driven the Beartooth highway yesterday, there is a far, far greater chance of being hit by a rock or collapse on the Beartooth than there is in an underground mine.
What an amazing, beautiful, scenic drive!

1 Like