What are your restaurant recommendations for Venice and Modena?

My wife and I are taking our sons (19 and 21 years old) to Venice and Modena at the end of August through the first week of September.

Both kids love to eat and cook, so we are looking for recommendations on places to eat. What are your suggestions?

Mitragliatrice in Venice may be to your liking

Head out to Cavallino in Maranello and visit the Ferrari museum while you are there.

Thanks for teaching me a new word and providing a good laugh.

In my mind I went straight there also.

+10

Any more and it’d be considered high-capacity

How many courses is their tasting menu? What is the cost?

Do they have anything produced before 1986?

Best meal I ever had full-stop was in a little restaurant in Venice near Rialto bridge. Can’t remember which. Tried looking on the maps but there are too many restaurants!

I will support your efforts to broaden your subject matter.
Ristoranti cucina tipica consigliati Venezia centro storico Rialto (ristorantedafiore.com) - On a small canal. Not in the main busy areas. Interesting wine list. Venice does quiet down significantly in the evening, when the tours are gone.
ETA - they have a cooking school too.

I am with Dilbert, had some great meals in small places I never knew the name of. Even the tourist trap joints are not too bad, tourist traps but still decent. My big hint is to find the little wine sellers that sell “bring your own bottle” table wine. Depending on when you go it can be from 6 weeks to 6 months old. Costs about 3-5 Euro a liter and is fresh, low alcohol, and really tasty. It is what you get when you buy a table wine in dining places. We also lived on Bread, wine, cured meats, and pastries most every lunch. If you do coffee, be a man and drink it standing. Most places charge extra for seating so standing is more common. No cappuccino after 1200. That is breakfast stuff. Espresso there is to die for. My wife ordered a “Latte” once and got warm milk. Caffe Latte will get you a foam covered beverage you expect.

Venice has great seafood. We saw the chef at a local place at the fish market one morning and he asked what we wanted him to buy for our dinner. We had eaten there the night before and thought his food was great so we told him to pick something out that was really good. He did and it was. Nice sales job on getting us back to his place.

Off the beaten track is to go to the Jewish Ghetto district behind the train station and try a kosher meal. They seemed surprised when a couple of way out of town non Jewish folks stopped in to visit. When you get back PM me with some names as we are planning a mid Sept visit ourselves. My wife and I are the only people I know that fly to Europe and spend all the days in Venice. Try and go to the other islands, they are all fun day trips and are way more “local” than Venice.

It’s been 20 years since I was in Venice. Every meal was good, including the sidewalk vendors selling pizza and gelato.
We stayed at the Hotel Rialto. I just checked Google maps and the walk up Gelato store is still there.

We also had a meal at a Cafe on Piazza San Marco that was good.

My younger son is a car nut and is currently doing an internship at Singer Vehicle Design, so he has already told us that we will be going to Ferrari, Pagani, and Lamborghini.

My younger son is a car nut and is currently doing an internship at Singer Vehicle Design, so he has already told us that we will be going to Ferrari, Pagani, and Lamborghini.

Now -that- is fucking awesome. What’s he doing in his internship and how is he finding it?

He is re-writing the manufacturing and assembly instructions / quality control for a lot of the carbon components that go into the cars. He gets to take pictures so that he can include them as part of the instructions, but he can’t show them to anyone outside of the company. He did tell me that they were just finishing a “sick” car that was getting shipped to its owner in Monaco.

He was just promoted to lead engineer for next year’s carbon chassis for Cal Poly SLO’s SAE Formula electric car, so he has a perfect internship this summer. The gas powered racing team finished in 6th place again this year at the championship in Michigan and he got to help out there.

I have not been for many years but a trip to Maranello is an amazing experience. I am not sure if they still do it but back when I was there, they would take every new car for a test drive on the track so you would see all kinds of cool cars on the roads. The museum was pretty small back then, but I understand it has expanded a bunch. The restaurant I mentioned, Cavallino, is where Enzo would eat every day.

He is re-writing the manufacturing and assembly instructions / quality control for a lot of the carbon components that go into the cars. He gets to take pictures so that he can include them as part of the instructions, but he can’t show them to anyone outside of the company. He did tell me that they were just finishing a “sick” car that was getting shipped to its owner in Monaco.

He was just promoted to lead engineer for next year’s carbon chassis for Cal Poly SLO’s SAE Formula electric car, so he has a perfect internship this summer. The gas powered racing team finished in 6th place again this year at the championship in Michigan and he got to help put there.

That is super cool. My wife is a SLO grad. Some serious brains in that place.

My wife and I met at Cal Poly in 1983 and were super proud when he got accepted there.

Can’t remember the name and can’t find it on the map, but their are a few good places on the water by the Fte Nove waterbus stop. All with great views of San Michele and Murano.

If you do a tour of Murano and Burano, Burano has one of the best Gelato shops. Gelateria Crema. It’s all artisanal gelato, not the mass produced trays of gelato. They do a flavor called Bussola, which is a local Burano cookie. Get that flavor then go out the door, 10 ft away should be a guy with a small balsamic store in the corner, Alessandro Biagini. He makes his own balsamic and hand paints the bottles. Put a few dashes of the balsamic on the ice cream. Pure bliss in a cup. You won’t regret it.

Bring your own food to venice, 100% tourist trap. I paid 100 EU for a pizza there, when euro was worth twice for every dollar

It’s been 20 years since I was in Venice. Every meal was good, including the sidewalk vendors selling pizza and gelato.
We stayed at the Hotel Rialto. I just checked Google maps and the walk up Gelato store is still there.

We also had a meal at a Cafe on Piazza San Marco that was good.

I believe that the cafe on Piazza San Marco is called Florian. Does that sound right?

This is one of the Singer company cars that my son helped bring to a cars and coffee event this morning.

It can be yours for only $1.35M.

1000003573.jpg