What are your guys thoughts on electric, fuel, or Hybrid cars

About to buy a new SUV in 6 months. Just curious on peoples thoughts.

there are not currently many great “true” SUV options for electric.

there are MANY great “true” SUV options for “fuel.”

there are very few good “SUV” options for “hybrid.”

Depends on what you are going to do with it, but I don’t think the technology is there yet for an SUV the way I would use it. Long road trips, towing, use in cold and hot conditions with heater and AC running full blast at times. I would be worried about losing charge on trips and not being close to a charging station. Then if at the charging station, you had to wait in line for someone to charge for 20 minutes, before you ever get the station to charge…and then wait 20 minutes to a full charge ( 40 minute stop if only one car in front of you) ,that’s not great.

If hauling boats or jet skis, would worry about range constantly.

Would not want to be planning out my route based on availability of charging stations on long trips.

For just tooling around town and charging in garage at night, probably OK, but then why get an SUV?

Hybrid makes sense.

This post is disqualified for grossly excessive use of quotes. For all we know a “true SUV” to you is limited to just vehicles with manually actuated dual lockers.

Haha, fair. Remove all my quotation marks and tell me I’m wrong though.

I think of a true SUV as being something that is not based on a sedan platform.

How is the Trump trial going today?

We have a hybrid SUV. So far we’ve averaged about 45 mpg over 30,000 miles. At the end of each trip, it tells what the mpg was for that trip. My goal is to see how high I can get that number. For some shorter trips where I was able to almost entirely use electric I’ve gotten more than 150 mpg. To do this means driving a steady speed, so I use the cruise control often and drive the speed limit exactly. Considering how many stop signs and traffic lights there are, it doesn’t make sense to speed anyway.

Since we also tow this vehicle behind a motorhome for several months a year it didn’t make sense to go full electric yet.

How is the Trump trial going today?

lol. Stop mucking up my car thread with your trump posts! Make your own trump thread if you want to!

We have a hybrid SUV. So far we’ve averaged about 45 mpg over 30,000 miles. At the end of each trip, it tells what the mpg was for that trip. My goal is to see how high I can get that number. For some shorter trips where I was able to almost entirely use electric I’ve gotten more than 150 mpg. To do this means driving a steady speed, so I use the cruise control often and drive the speed limit exactly. Considering how many stop signs and traffic lights there are, it doesn’t make sense to speed anyway.

Since we also tow this vehicle behind a motorhome for several months a year it didn’t make sense to go full electric yet.

Most important question….what did you buy?

Maurice

We’re in the market as well and pretty much narrowed our choice down to the Highlander hybrid. The final selling point for me was by dumb luck. a week ago we were in Albuquerque, and had the choice between the Explorer or Highlander for our rental. I’d previously test driven both the gas and hybrid models of the Highlander so we decided to take the Highlander (gas) for the week.

It was comfortable, mostly quiet, except when getting into the gas then it sounds like a 4-cyl. Going back to comfort, we put close to 300 miles on it, with a couple 2 hour drives, and my back felt great.

The Highlander hybrid doesn’t have as much horsepower as the gas model, but it’s more than enough for the around town we do most of our driving. It’ll be my wife’s daily driver, she works all of 2.5 miles from home.

For comparison we’ve tested Kia and Hyundai. Both were dogs, uncomfortable, and noisy.

At this point if I was looking for something for the wife I would look at PHEV. Most of her driving is within 30 kms. And if she needed to go further the ICE is there.

Me? ICE for now.

Just rented a tesla model 3 for a long weekend. Cost was same as a midsize. One thing that got me was - a daily $10 fee for charging at tesla superchargers, sprung upon me when picking up the rental. Not disclosed at any point prior - including that this was a prepaid rental… anyway, roughly the same cost as gas would have been.

Pior to this, I had only briefly driven and rode along in friend’s Tesla. I liked the driving experience.

I have an ICE vehicle. I live in a rural area, in the snowbelt of upper midwest. If I lived closer to cities, I would consider an EV as my only vehicle.

What the F does that mean… I think what your saying is a true SUV is a body on frame not a body frame Integral? if thats what your thinking you are stuck in the 1980’s.

The only real definitions of vehicle classes is provided by the EPA and NTSHA (and they don’t line up) lol. But neither car whats underneath, they only care about interior capacity and seating mostly.

Would love to see your list of true SUV’s. if your definition is as I think, there are not very many. None that I can think of that are hybrid or EV.

Now if you mean what you said, well than almost all of GM’s are true SUV as GM only makes a couple of sedans.

It all depends on what YOU want, how your going to drive it, what other vehicles you own, what locations are you driving around in.

What the F does that mean… I think what your saying is a true SUV is a body on frame not a body frame Integral? if thats what your thinking you are stuck in the 1980’s.

“Platforms” are fascinating things for a car newbie. As I understand it Kia, for example, are building the EV9 on the same platform as the EV6. So one of the few three row electric SUVs on the same platform as a car that if you squint is kind of a hatchback. And that’s the same platform as the Ioniq 5 and upcoming Ioniq 7 from Hyundai.

I’m likely buying an EV9 soon. All cars are expensive these days but I’m, looking for a “relatively” inexpensive 3-row electric SUV and it’s really the only option. Driving is mostly short trips around NYC, occasional drives up to the Hudson Valley (which are all within charge range) and longer road trips one or two times a year that we’re happy to plan for. No downside to electric for us.

Sorry, for most people that didn’t spend their entire careers in the automotive industry, technical terminology of automotive industry things is not our strong suit.

Personally, I don’t think of the Trax, Trailblazer, Equinox, or Blazer as an SUV. I think of those as SAVs.

Anything smaller than a 4Runner, basically.

Wife has a hybrid honda accord. We love it. Get 50-60mpg in town. Long road trips we get 40mpg+ on the interstate.

Only downside to a hybrid in my opinion is the towing capacity. If you don’t plan to ever tow anything over 1,500lbs, makes sense to get a hybrid.

As someone else said, our goal each drive is to see how high we can get the mpg. You can clearly tell winter and winter tires impacts the mpg, but on a calm 70 degree day, its amazing what you can get.

Most important question….what did you buy?

Maurice

It’s a Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD. We got it specifically because it can be towed behind our motorhome.

“Platforms” are fascinating things for a car newbie. As I understand it Kia, for example, are building the EV9 on the same platform as the EV6. So one of the few three row electric SUVs on the same platform as a car that if you squint is kind of a hatchback. And that’s the same platform as the Ioniq 5 and upcoming Ioniq 7 from Hyundai.

I’m likely buying an EV9 soon. All cars are expensive these days but I’m, looking for a “relatively” inexpensive 3-row electric SUV and it’s really the only option. Driving is mostly short trips around NYC, occasional drives up to the Hudson Valley (which are all within charge range) and longer road trips one or two times a year that we’re happy to plan for. No downside to electric for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...bal_Modular_Platform

and For Dave, who thinks definitions of car types is straightforward

Awww, c’mon!
What about this SUV hot rod?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e1/4e/b9/e14eb9b4273d3e12b613a2a37d38bce8.jpg

(Posted for you, 'cause I know you are a big prius fan … )