What are you Sleeping On

My wife has suddenly decided she doesn’t like our mattress. It’s been about 10 years since we bought the one we have and it seems like the industry has changed quite a bit since then. A few minutes on Google has just left us not knowing where to start.

She has heard from a couple of people that really like their Smart Number beds. The amount of advertising they do makes me skeptical that they are worth the premium price. Anyone have something they really love or even recommendations on how to approach the process?

I went through this earlier this year. I went to a sleep, outfitters store and looked at a number of different mattresses of all price levels. I ended up getting a mid-level Sealy, I think. I was at about 10 years also and definitely could tell I needed a new one.

I did not even consider any of those rollup and deliver to your house mattresses. The store delivered the new one and took the old one away.

We bought a new mattress about 6 or 7 years ago I think. Looked at a lot of different options and decided neither of us like memory foam, so we were planning to buy a traditional mattress. A friend recommended a latex mattress and we wound up buying that. We’ve been very happy with it.

Tempur-Pedic, going on 20 years now. Won’t ever change.

We have a bear mattress……actually saw a recommendation on here and looked into it. We like it, it’s the hybrid model. Had a tempurpedic before that and it was a little soft for my liking but my wife liked it. Mattress selection is so tough, if I had to go through again I would have no problem trying a different one every month until I found the perfect one……I think most of the “bed in a box” manufacturers offer a risk free trial. If money was no object I would get a split king and get the firmness I wanted nd my wife could get why she wanted

We bought a new mattress about 6 or 7 years ago I think. Looked at a lot of different options and decided neither of us like memory foam, so we were planning to buy a traditional mattress. A friend recommended a latex mattress and we wound up buying that. We’ve been very happy with it.

I have never tried a memory foam mattress but I am all in on memory foam pillows. I hate down pillows now.

Made me think of ours. It has to be over 15yrs now (we packed and moved it, and we’ve now been in VA for that long). No complaints or feeling that we need to change it.

As far as the process, we went to one of the stores and lay down on a bunch. Wife and I actually dozed off on one for a few mins, and we both said this must be the one. I don’t remember what brand it is. But my advice is to try it out if you can.

I can’t remember the brand of our mattress. One the higher end models from Costco. It’s fine, I don’t think about it.

What I do think about is our Ooler cooling pad. We got a cooling pad about 4-5 years ago and it has been lifechanging. Having the ability to sleep on a continuously cool bed has improved my life (no joke; no hyperbole) immeasurably.

I don’t think Ooler is offered any longer. But there are several newer versions of it that do essentially the same thing.

I was skeptical and reluctant to spend the money. My wife pulled the trigger. I think it was around $1600. When our current model dies, I will replace it with the latest and greatest model yesterday.

I cannot recommend this highly enough.

We have a Tempur-Pedic Tempur Pro Adapt mattress with the Tempur Ergo Power base.

Ours is a split king. Which means two separate Twin XL mattresses that sit on their own base. That way my wife and I can adjust our own mattresses however we’d like without affecting the other person. I highly recommend that route. Our mattresses are also different comfort levels. Mine is soft and hers is medium.

World of difference than a regular mattress. It ain’t cheap though. My setup will cost you $10K before adding a bed frame and headboard.

Coming up on 4 years now, we’ve been sleeping on a Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid, this one I htink: https://www.mattressfirm.com/posturepedic-plus-hybrid-high-point-14-plush-mattress/5637277327.p?variantid=5637277358

Most expensive mattress we’ve ever purchased but so far it’s been worth every penny. Heavy sonofabitch too.

We looked at a Smart Number but couldn’t justify the cost. The great thing about mattress shopping, at least around here, most places let you try it for 30 nights or so.

We went with a Tuft & Needle about 6 years ago. No issues.
I rarely sleep in other places (hotels, airbnb, friends house) where I feel the other mattress is better

My wife has suddenly decided she doesn’t like our mattress. It’s been about 10 years since we bought the one we have and it seems like the industry has changed quite a bit since then. A few minutes on Google has just left us not knowing where to start.

She has heard from a couple of people that really like their Smart Number beds. The amount of advertising they do makes me skeptical that they are worth the premium price. Anyone have something they really love or even recommendations on how to approach the process?

Sleep Number, we’ve had now probably 4ish years, and we like it. My wife likes a really soft mattress, and I need something much firmer. It comes with a 15 year warranty. You can do a million options with them, but e went with version that has separate controls for each side and none of the other bells and whistles.

Matt

We bought a new bed about 6 months ago. I was all in on sleep number but couldn’t justify the cost. Ended up with a split king, 2 different mattresses. Sealy for wife and Serta for me. both on adjustable frames. I’m happy with it. Sleep better than my old 15 year old mattress. Saved thousands.

Coming up on 4 years now, we’ve been sleeping on a Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid, this one I htink: https://www.mattressfirm.com/posturepedic-plus-hybrid-high-point-14-plush-mattress/5637277327.p?variantid=5637277358

Most expensive mattress we’ve ever purchased but so far it’s been worth every penny. Heavy sonofabitch too.

We looked at a Smart Number but couldn’t justify the cost. The great thing about mattress shopping, at least around here, most places let you try it for 30 nights or so.

We are on a Tempurpedic as well. It has to be about 10 years that we have had it. I think it sleeps the same as the day we bought it but my wife is murmuring about, “new mattresses….”

Interesting about the trials. When we bought this mattress, we initially went with a different one, slightly softer. We slept on it for about three weeks and my wife decided she couldn’t stand it. We went back to the store and picked out a different mattress and told them to come get the first one. They were completely shocked! Our sales guy told us it was the first mattress that he had ever had returned. I guess people don’t often go through the hassle once the mattress is in their house.

We are on our second Sleep Number bed. We love it and I highly recommend it.

Hard to believe we started out our married life 38 years ago on a water bed. Do they even make them anymore?

Sheraton Hotel mattress and sheets.

Always a good bed. Pillows are too personal a choice to recommend.

Just want to add that size matters. Go with king size (or even California King).

Starting in college dorms, the single (why do they call it twin size?) was fine for, you know, getting to know someone. But too cramped for actually sharing the bed to sleep through a night.

GF (now wife) then went to double size when we first moved in together and slept through nights.

Later, I pushed back on the move to Queen size saying she’s always right there wherever I am, so why do we need anything larger :-).

Then with kids, the occasional family bed sleep arrangement moved us to get a King size. Now wife and I are back to empty nesters and the entire bed is ours. Can get as close as necessary yet still have all the space too when needed.

When traveling, anything less than a King size bed is way too cramped.

A King was the deal when my fiance and I moved in together. Our queens were fine for the nights we were together but not living together, but for every night… I sprawl and she moves so it ends up with us having much better sleep.

Of course its a spoiler if we have to bear something even slightly smaller now.

As for brand, I had a tuft&needle and loved it, but too firm for her, so now we are in a casper hybrid that we tried out at a local showroom. I dont mind the roll up and ship companies, with foam technology where it is today, it creates a much better sleeping surface at basically any firmness you could want.

Just want to add that size matters. Go with king size (or even California King).

Starting in college dorms, the single (why do they call it twin size?) was fine for, you know, getting to know someone. But too cramped for actually sharing the bed to sleep through a night.

GF (now wife) then went to double size when we first moved in together and slept through nights.

Later, I pushed back on the move to Queen size saying she’s always right there wherever I am, so why do we need anything larger :-).

Then with kids, the occasional family bed sleep arrangement moved us to get a King size. Now wife and I are back to empty nesters and the entire bed is ours. Can get as close as necessary yet still have all the space too when needed.

When traveling, anything less than a King size bed is way too cramped.

A King is must. With my wife not liking to sleep close to the edge and a dog that sleeps with us, we could never go back to a Queen.

My wife wants adjustable and is suspect of discount brands. I fear we’re on the way to a spending 10k on a new bed when I’m perfectly content with the one we have. Truth is, I probably won’t have much say in the matter.

Sharing for those who don’t know…I had previously thought that California King would be a larger size than King. In fact, it IS 4" longer, but also 4" narrower. I have never tried a CA King but think I’d prefer standard King anyway.