What an AR-15 can do

Washington Post has an article that contains graphic photos/videos of and quotes from victims and first responders to some of the mass killings over the past decade in which an AR-15 was used. Not for the squeamish.

Gift link: https://wapo.st/46pzeqc

AR-15 .ne. AK-47
AR-15 != AK-47

AR-15 .ne. AK-47
AR-15 != AK-47

Yes, I realized that and changed the subject and body.

AR-15 .ne. AK-47
AR-15 != AK-47

Also AR-15 .ne. Airsoft.

Not sure what the point is?

I cannot imagine what the first responders and cleaners have to go through in those situations. (ignoring the actual dead and people living through it). Especially when the dead are children. I can’t imagine that is easy to live with no matter the amount of help.

You say “not for the squeamish” but frankly they need to publish photos of uncovered dead kids’ bodies ripped apart with bullets to actually have any impact at all. Even more impact would come from a video of it happening, maybe even live streamed. It is only when people witness the FULL horror of these situations that change might come. Sad to say, but you probably need some of the kids that are killed to belong to GOP members of Congress too, before they become motivated to do something.

Meanwhile, thoughts and prayers.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ACq1I102LrA/Y95OOlYBukI/AAAAAAABCBI/Hz7vEqa4u48OYvM4VES-YEIIVET5rvddACNcBGAsYHQ/s1600/1675513400610519-0.png

I feel confident that Santos has never held a gun in his life. No clue who the woman is but I would wager a few blind bucks that she hasn’t either.

There is a video on X that is the in car camera of a GA State Trooper that tries (unsuccessfully) to stop a stolen vehicle. I say unsuccessful because the bad guys get away after the officer makes a pit maneuver and they open fire on his squad car with an AK-47, actually 2 AK-47s. The video shows the trooper drop as low as he can and you can see and hear the bullets hitting the car.

What is interesting is the windshield is hit several times and does not allow penetration. You can see the bullets ricochet off the windshield, with chips of glass flying, and spider cracks forming, but nothing went through.

That led me to start looking at whether the officer was lucky or something else was going on. It turns out a .223/5.56 will not penetrate a windshield past a certain angle off 90 degrees.

I’ve lost all my faith in Hollywood.

AK-47 is 7.62 mm Caliber, AR-15 is 5.56.

I feel confident that Santos has never held a gun in his life. No clue who the woman is but I would wager a few blind bucks that she hasn’t either.

She was in the US Air Force, so a reasonable chance she’s held a gun, as most servicemembers undergo at least basic weapons training.

Maybe not an AR-15 equivalent, but the standard 9mm, quite likely.

There is a video on X that is the in car camera of a GA State Trooper that tries (unsuccessfully) to stop a stolen vehicle. I say unsuccessful because the bad guys get away after the officer makes a pit maneuver and they open fire on his squad car with an AK-47, actually 2 AK-47s. The video shows the trooper drop as low as he can and you can see and hear the bullets hitting the car.

What is interesting is the windshield is hit several times and does not allow penetration. You can see the bullets ricochet off the windshield, with chips of glass flying, and spider cracks forming, but nothing went through.

That led me to start looking at whether the officer was lucky or something else was going on. It turns out a .223/5.56 will not penetrate a windshield past a certain angle off 90 degrees.

I’ve lost all my faith in Hollywood.

There are guys on Youtube that make all kinds of videos showing what different guns and calibers do to the human body. They use these lifelike body dummies that have cartilage, blood, bones etc and they show them in slow mo getting shot. I would rather get shot by an AR 15 or a hand gun than a shotgun with a slug or double ot buck shot. The shotgun makes a huge mess and there is nothing left.

Having said that, any gun wound would be horrendous. They did one video of shooting a guy sitting in a car through the windshield and it did some serious damage.

You say “not for the squeamish” but frankly they need to publish photos of uncovered dead kids’ bodies ripped apart with bullets to actually have any impact at all.

This.

You say “not for the squeamish” but frankly they need to publish photos of uncovered dead kids’ bodies ripped apart with bullets to actually have any impact at all. Even more impact would come from a video of it happening, maybe even live streamed. It is only when people witness the FULL horror of these situations that change might come. Sad to say, but you probably need some of the kids that are killed to belong to GOP members of Congress too, before they become motivated to do something.

Surely you are not that much of a goon and don’t really mean that. What if it was your kid or grandkid or someone you knew being shown getting shot in real time? No one should have to see that, especially the parents or loved ones of the little kids. That’s terrible.

AK-47 is 7.62 mm Caliber, AR-15 is 5.56.

Strictly speaking about a pure AK-47, yes. But there are “AK-47” variants that chamber a variety of other round types, including 5.56 NATO. E.g. Poland’s FB Tantal (5.45mm).

A little pedantic, but worth pointing out since I think both “AR-15” and “AK-47” are used to refer to broad families rather then specific models. E.g. probably few of the weapons referred to as "AR-15"s are actual ArmaLite-manufactured products - the original went out of production in 1964.

Washington Post has an article that contains graphic photos/videos of and quotes from victims and first responders to some of the mass killings over the past decade in which an AR-15 was used. Not for the squeamish.

Gift link: https://wapo.st/46pzeqc

60 Minutes did a piece on this particular weapon a while back - don’t think it’s at the provided link, but there was some slo-mo video footage of AR-15 rounds vs. others going thru gelatin targets. The damage done by the AR vs. the others was SIGNIFICANTLY greater.

Surely you are not that much of a goon and don’t really mean that. What if it was your kid or grandkid or someone you knew being shown getting shot in real time? No one should have to see that, especially the parents or loved ones of the little kids. That’s terrible.

What exactly do you think is terrible?

Someone needs to light the dim@beyond signal.

What exactly do you think is terrible?

Really? Suggesting that moms and dads and little sister and brother watch as their kindergarten son or sibling is ripped apart by bullets. That is grotesque and you surely would not want people to see that or for it to be made public just so you can pump up your gun regulations.

Do you really think if we had video inside the school from Sandy Hook that it should be made public? Are you a ghoul?

If it was my child or grandchild and it helped to stop the out of control gun nuts in this country, I would absolutely want people to see it. It’s the same as the war hawks in congress, they’re willing to send others to fight because they aren’t the ones going and having to see the real side of war.

But as Kay said, “thoughts and prayers”.