We are having an election - 6 weeks

Accepting that the UK is a bit of a basket case, I do think one of the things we do relatively well (though I do not agree with first past the post) is once an election is called, it’s 6 weeks between announcement and polling day.

I think that the longer the cycles such as the US become a distraction from the job of actually running the country.

The Sunak standing-in-the-rain announcement was perfectly British.

I bet they still re-elect the Tories…

I agree, the US election/campaign cycle is too long. But the second you try to set campaign limits everyone will scream you’re violating their first amendment rights.

It would be nice to see campaign seasons limited, and a national holiday on general election day.

We get everything we deserve if they do. Can you imagine given the last 14 years thinking this is better than the alternative…

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/uk/france

Britain has significantly higher gdp and umemployment than say France. With much less in terms of natural resources. Is Britain really so poorly run?

If you want access to good healthcare, Education and public services - yes

You listed 3 things conservatives believe, where each person should not rely on the government. Come on man, pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

Then that probably sets out my position which is amazingly aligned with the one nation conservatives in the UK, so I guess I’m a conservative.

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/uk/france

Britain has significantly higher gdp and umemployment than say France. With much less in terms of natural resources. Is Britain really so poorly run?

not to derail the thread - but i always considered Britain to be better off than France from a natural resources perspective - All that North Sea Oil and Natural Gas that was a huge boost. Unfortunately no wealth fund (unlike Norway); and i don’t remember it feeling particularly prosperous when i was there (left in 97).

i do like the 6 week election cycle. No primaries - just get on with the important one.

like others i don’t think the first past the post system is optimal in a multi party system - but with 650 seats, it is about 1 per 100K population which evens it out a bit. At least there is nothing like the totally stupid and undemocratic electoral college.

Rishi in the rain trying to raise his voice over the labour 97 tune was pretty sad. As someone who voted for the Conservatives in all 3 elections where i was able to vote in the UK (87, 92, 97) there is no way i would vote for them now. Out of ideas and too many right wing nut jobs with influence. Time to give Kier and his team a chance.

Accepting that the UK is a bit of a basket case, I do think one of the things we do relatively well (though I do not agree with first past the post) is once an election is called, it’s 6 weeks between announcement and polling day.

I think that the longer the cycles such as the US become a distraction from the job of actually running the country.

To state the obvious, it’s because the UK system doesn’t key off fixed dates like the US one. That said, the conservatives had to call an election by the fall and with that long stop in place most of my UK friends say it’s felt like both parties are in election mode for some time now.

bingo. it’s a lesson america could learn from many other places. i just don’t think the drawn-out election cycles are good for anyone, to be honest. it’s expensive, it distracts from legislating, and incentivizes the media to create horse-races or scandal where none exist. shorten 'em right down and nothing of value is lost!

Only 2 changes in government since 1979…well, at least changes in governing party. Crazy considering how close to an even country it is politically - at least when Labour avoid picking an unelectable leader.

three of the 6 weeks gone, and from listening to “the News Agents” it seems like the consensus is that most would prefer the election now rather than have campaigning dragging out for another 3 weeks.

Here in the US i have been getting 20+ mails and texts a day for months, and we still have almost 5 months to go.

Haven’t lived in the UK for 27 years, and until now i thought i was not eligible to vote as i had been out of the country for so long. Just completed the online application to register as an overseas voter - see what happens. Quaint that it goes to the council office in the town where i hast lived in the UK rather than some national entity.

You listed 3 things conservatives believe, where each person should not rely on the government. Come on man, pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

I think that’s largely what Americans misunderstand. I am an ex-pat and have no desire to live in the UK since I left in 2000. I was born and ex-pat and feel no strong pull to any particular nation however if I have a vote it’s that whilst I pay private education for my two kids, have private healthcare and access to excellent facilities - (~$300 for x-ray, CAT scan and two appointments with a consultant all within three weeks; plus someone came to my condo to fit me for a brace), and have never relied on social security, I want those facilities in place to help the Ross fortunate in society get back in their feet. That doesn’t mean the current system where a life on benefits seems to be attainable for more than need it, but recognises that people go through redundancies and bad patches and helping them get back to a place of contributing their taxes is better for all. A society with extreme wealth disparity becomes fractured. In no way, shape, or form would I ever want the UK to adopt a US medical system.

I think that’s largely what Americans misunderstand. I am an ex-pat and have no desire to live in the UK since I left in 2000. I was born and ex-pat and feel no strong pull to any particular nation however if I have a vote it’s that whilst I pay private education for my two kids, have private healthcare and access to excellent facilities - (~$300 for x-ray, CAT scan and two appointments with a consultant all within three weeks; plus someone came to my condo to fit me for a brace), and have never relied on social security, I want those facilities in place to help the Ross fortunate in society get back in their feet. That doesn’t mean the current system where a life on benefits seems to be attainable for more than need it, but recognises that people go through redundancies and bad patches and helping them get back to a place of contributing their taxes is better for all. A society with extreme wealth disparity becomes fractured. In no way, shape, or form would I ever want the UK to adopt a US medical system.

Yeah, pulling back the zoom lens on time and geography - public education seems to have been a “good idea.” Those that have tend to have well educated people across classes and some level of social and economic mobility.

A good idea like national parks.

A situation where 6% of kids go to private school, but over 60% of government ministers went to private school is a ridiculous statistic (i suspect it would be a similarly high percentage of those in the most senior positions in Banks and other large UK companies). That 6% are not so innately brilliant that they should provide such a massive imbalance of government and corporate leadership. Something is broken. It was getting better. Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher and Major; the PMs from 64 to 97, were all grammar school kids; but the Toffs have taken back control. The UK has basically had the Bullingdon club in charge for 13 years, with a 40 day break for a right wing nut job, and then mega rich (no working class friends) Rishi. i can’t stand the entitled bastards.

i think Labour are right to put VAT on private education - it should be treated as a luxury from a tax perspective. Invest the proceeds in public education.

A situation where 6% of kids go to private school, but over 60% of government ministers went to private school is a ridiculous statistic (i suspect it would be a similarly high percentage of those in the most senior positions in Banks and other large UK companies). That 6% are not so innately brilliant that they should provide such a massive imbalance of government and corporate leadership. Something is broken. It was getting better. Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher and Major; the PMs from 64 to 97, were all grammar school kids; but the Toffs have taken back control. The UK has basically had the Bullingdon club in charge for 13 years, with a 40 day break for a right wing nut job, and then mega rich (no working class friends) Rishi. i can’t stand the entitled bastards.

i think Labour are right to put VAT on private education - it should be treated as a luxury from a tax perspective. Invest the proceeds in public education.

Tax policy for vindictive reasons and envy seems like a bad idea. There are likely also large numbers of perfectly good people who send their kids to public schools just to get a good education not to be Toffs. Why not just increase the tax rates on the very wealthy? Since almost all ministers go to university and they are a minority of British why not tax university too?

The stats are also a little misleading (or misrepresented). 6% of all pupils who are at private school. But 17% of sixth form pupils (last 2 years of UK school system) are at private school. In other words very few people send their kids to private school aged 5, but a lot more do aged 16. And there’s a proportionately higher number of children with special needs in private schools as the state school often isn’t able to properly give them the help they need. I assume there will be sind kind of exception process for parents of children with special needs to not have to pay VAT, but that in turn is likely to have unintended consequences as could very easily see parents seeking a SEN classification to avoid tax. As well as the more predictable consequences of VAT on school fees, like well off parents moving to the catchment areas of the best state schools, driving up the property prices in those areas and making it harder and harder for kids from poorer backgrounds to get into those schools (this has been happening for a while, especially in London).

Glad i got the SEN diagnosis banged out early before the rush 🤣

Good luck.

Labor will return here in 2026. Jacinda promised a lot, delivered some, and voters decided to elect a party that has a track record of helping people even less. We needed a reminder I guess?