Watching T100 in Europe - MAX vs Discovery+?

Now that GCN+ is gone, I guess we are stuck with a choice between Eurosport vs Discovery+

Any advice on which one would have a better coverage / English commentary ? I understand that Discovery+ is add-free, is this correct?

Thanks for any advice on this!

Now that GCN+ is gone, I guess we are stuck with a choice between Eurosport vs Discovery+

Any advice on which one would have a better coverage / English commentary ? I understand that Discovery+ is add-free, is this correct?

Thanks for any advice on this!Eurosport will do the business, with good commentary (YMMV). And Eurosport have been generous enough to cease their service on 22 July, the day after Nice. So then Discovery+ will be your ‘go to’ for similar cycling (and much more sport) coverage.
Eurosport subscribers have been offered a 1/2 rate sub for D+ till end year.

pretty pissed about this change TBH - Eurosport cost for the app has been approx €50 per year, now due to this change I am forced to pay €100 for Discovery+, but then a further €60 to get the Eurosport content. So from €50 to €160!!

I live in Spain, but prefer to listen to the English commentary. The Eurosport app offered the multi audio coverage for most races.

What about Discovery+ (called MAX) in most of Europe? Is English commentary an option when watching Eurosport thru MAX??

I am in Spain too and also prefer English commentary! But my plan would just be buying 1 month of either of the two, to watch the TdF

Is it correct that Eurosport is with commercial breaks? There were none during Giro.
And then Discovery+ is without commercial breaks

Eurosport has a “multi-lingual” option, so I can change between English and Spanish commentary.

If somebody can tell me where Contador is commentating, so I can avoid that :slight_smile:

pretty pissed about this change TBH - Eurosport cost for the app has been approx €50 per year, now due to this change I am forced to pay €100 for Discovery+, but then a further €60 to get the Eurosport content. So from €50 to €160!!

I live in Spain, but prefer to listen to the English commentary. The Eurosport app offered the multi audio coverage for most races.

What about Discovery+ (called MAX) in most of Europe? Is English commentary an option when watching Eurosport thru MAX??

Eurosport watched through the app is without commercial breaks. Viewed through Discovery+ / MAX there are commercial breaks.

Eurosport has notified subscribers that it will cease all subscriptions from 27/7, so it is unlikely that they will be taking new subscriptions. Worth a try though as this option is way better than an ad-infested commentary on MAX.

Discovery+ in the UK has no ads

Not sure I understand this: Are you saying that Eurosport and and Discovery+ / MAX are the same feed?

Eurosport watched through the app is without commercial breaks. Viewed through Discovery+ / MAX there are commercial breaks.

Eurosport has notified subscribers that it will cease all subscriptions from 27/7, so it is unlikely that they will be taking new subscriptions. Worth a try though as this option is way better than an ad-infested commentary on MAX.

Yep, as I understand it, you have to subscribe to the full Discovery+/MAX package of movies (standard quality and 2 devices = €100 per year; or €139 per year for 4k quality and access on 4 devices at a time), documentaries etc to even get access to Eurosport - but you then have to pay a further €5 per month just to get the Eurosport part.

Please somebody tell me I’m wrong! But as I understand it, this will be the only way in Europe to get access Eurosport content after the TdF.

I am based in Poland and watch Eurosport through the TVN player app (subsidiary of WarnerBrosDiscovery, player.pl). It costs me the equivalent of about £4 per month and you can watch ad-free (Bez reklama) or with-ad streams, and you get access to english commentary. I pay monthly with a non-EU (UK-issued) credit card with no issues… Only downside, for me anyway, is I liked watching the breakaway shows during the grand tours and they don’t appear to be viewable…

Seems you are right! Thanks for the update / heads-up!

In Spain, I can see that Eurosport cease to exist, and Discovery+ becomes MAX.

Question still: Is is going to be the same feed on both channels? (almost certainly sounds like it would be)

TIA

Yep, as I understand it, you have to subscribe to the full Discovery+/MAX package of movies (standard quality and 2 devices = €100 per year; or €139 per year for 4k quality and access on 4 devices at a time), documentaries etc to even get access to Eurosport - but you then have to pay a further €5 per month just to get the Eurosport part.

Please somebody tell me I’m wrong! But as I understand it, this will be the only way in Europe to get access Eurosport content after the TdF.

This is totally nonsense. The problem is not only that the price has increased more than 3 times, but being forced to pay 100 € (at least) for a content we neither need nor want. There’s no option to choose only the Eurosport package. Good thing is that Eurosport can be played on 2 devices at once, so if you share the subscription with a friend…

Please somebody tell me I’m wrong! But as I understand it, this will be the only way in Europe to get access Eurosport content after the TdF.Well I’m not telling you you’re wrong but, perhaps naively I didn’t read the Eurosport message that way.
"We regret to inform you that the Eurosport Premium subscription service will be discontinued on July 22. If your subscription is set to auto-renew before July 22, you will not be billed again and you can continue to enjoy the Eurosport Premium subscription service until it is discontinued. Otherwise, after the service has closed, you will receive a refund for the unused time remaining on your subscription. Refunds will be made to the payment method that you used to purchase your subscription.

** **“The good news is that discovery+ is the new streaming home for Eurosport! discovery+ is where everything you love on Eurosport meets the must-see shows of discovery+. As a gesture of our appreciation and goodwill for any inconvenience due to the closure of the Eurosport Premium subscription service, we would like to offer you a discounted subscription to discovery+”

What is your understanding from the Eurosport message then?

Thanks. That is great that the English commentary appears to be available in Europe.

Just very irritating that we have to pay €15 per month to get it, when in the past we paid just €5 per month. I only want Eurosport, I don’t want Discovery +/MAX movies and documentaries! But seems we have no choice.

What is your understanding from the Eurosport message then?Well in (perhaps) my naivety, I assume that subscribing to discovery+ at the discounted rate to end of year and then ‘full’ (£7pm), will get me the sports cover I’ve enjoyed for ?3 years with Eurosport (cycling, biathlon, XC, bit o’ sailing). Like others I have minimal interest in other stuff in the D+ stable.
Triathlon.tv, to which subscribe after a gratis last year, will get me all short course and the T100s (aiui).

It could be worse, you could live in Sweden. To watch cycling here I needed Eurosport for €16/month, and the future Max subscription would cost me €34/month. No idea why it is so expensive here. And no way I’m paying that. I miss GCN for €4/month…

But that’s one of my points, you don’t have to pay that much (caveat being, if you already have a VPN…). Just connect to the tvn player app and pay 20pln (~£4) a month like I do. You don’t (well, may not) need a Polish issued credit/debit card to pay (or give a polish address etc), I don’t have one (it’s non-EU, UK issued) and it was (still is…) accepted with no issues…

THAT!

Nah - just kidding (I am Danish, sorry) - but you know about the laws of supply/demand & pricing, right?
So seems now MAX has monopoly on this shit, and they can pretty much put any price they want, as long as if suits their ARR & EBITDA objectives.

Make GCN+ Great Again!

It could be worse, you could live in Sweden.

We have it made in the shade down here in Oz.
Grand Tours free on mainstream TV (SBS) and free streaming of the whole cycling calendar.
Cycling | SBS On Demand

Kamelåså! 😃

I just don’t get the price difference between Sweden and the rest (at least most) of western Europe for eg. Eurosport. But yes, the good people at Discovery probably know how to maximise profit and this is where I have drawn the short straw.